For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
mrg5000's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014 4:57 PM

Uverse Blocking SMTP port 25

We have a small business account and Uverse is blocking Port 25. WE are strictly locked down for relaying, we need to be able to send mail out. How can we get it unlocked ? I know this is possibel and we need assistance. 

Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

Best bet: Change to a more appropriate port.  This is the correct solution for most users.

If you do run a mail server or are otherwise depositing e-mail in a variety of servers, then send a PM to ATT U-verse Care, do not call, you'll just be wasting your time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I need port 25 unblocked as well.

EDIT:  Nevermind, fixed via phone support but it took considerable persistence to get it done.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I need it unblocked as well. I reported as much in the link at the head of the thread, but that was on a Sunday when nobody was likely in the office... hence the bump so somebody might notice 😕

EDIT: I phoned connectech, paid the $50 one-time fee, and was told that they don't offer the ability to remove the block on port 25. Looking at this thread, is that the case (meaning I need to refund my $50 fee and switch ISPs), or can something be done?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hey @kshots5955,

We have received your private message and look forward to working with you to get this corrected.

-ATTU-verseCare

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Got it working through the folks on this site. Thanks!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

You're welcome kshots5955! Thanks for updating this thread. Smiley Happy

ATTU-verseCare

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

I have to say, this is an issue which is seemingly perplexing, and inconsistant.

I don't knnow if the issue of port 25 being blocked to discourage spamming, is effective or not.

I can see, a lot of folks want to use it for very valid reasons, and so, ATT creates a problem that otherwise would not need "solving".

Obviously, they can, and on occasion, WILL unblock port 25 on a case by case basis.

What is confusing is, in some cases, they do it, with no charge whatsoever, and fairly quickly, just for the asking.

In other cases, they just outright say, no.

More confusing still, they say, they will do it, grudginly, but will charge a fee.

This is me, speculating a bit, and also asking for additional information:

As the internet developed over the years, became more sophisticated, and more services became common, port swere assigned to various purposes. 

Some of those port assignments, while common now, were assinged semi-randomly at first.

You know, ports are NOT anything physical. They are nothing more or less than a set of numbers in a number matrix to route data to the associated application with that number.

My point being, within reason, you can assign any number to a particular purpose, or in this case, assign port 25 to another number not blocked and not used by another service or purpose.

How does one reassign a port on their system? Like the folks with smart phones are so fond of saying, "there should be an app for that."

This is the part where folks who know something I don't, are aksed to share their knowledge on port reassigning.

Who knows.. if it is easy enough to do, then we can just pass it on (maybe even make it into an FAQ) and no one needs to ever bother ATT about unblocking port 25 ever again.

Just a thought.   Seeking any feedback.   Thanks.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

@tfbrown28. The numbers they mentioned, were not arbitrary.. per this list of ATT e-mail domain settings, thise are the (for everyone else but ATT) non-standard port codes they use for thie rmail servers. https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB424295&cv=801&_requestid=4744946

A lot of times, the folks who are so insistant on using port 25, no matter what, don't seem to even want to hear about "port reassignment"and prefer to rant and rage out how the NEED that port unblocked, no matter what.

I have to ask, IS it common for mail apps to have NO facility of assinging port numbers manually, or is that port 25 "set in stone"?

Just a guy who's curious about things like this.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

8 years ago

The block is to prevent malware from spreading or spamming. It's pretty effective at it, too.

The call center is not properly trained on unblocking port 25.  There's no script for it.  If there's no script, then the Tier 1 is going to send it to ConnecTech.  Tier 2 doesn't want to be bothered with it.

Many of these users don't need it unblocked, they could use the alternate ports.  But clearing the block, they think, is the easiest path forward.

Of the users who do need it unblocked, many (not all) are doing business type functions with it.  Some are running non-profit organization mailing through it.

Consider that there are  10,000,000 U-verse HSI customers.  Maybe we've seen 200 requests for an unblock on here.  Let's say that only 10% of users who would like to make it through to this forum, so mulitply by 10.  That's still only 0.00002% of customers who feel they need this.  That's why there's not a script.  I think this mechanism is sufficient.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am also having this issue. I switched to Uverse and my security cameras do not support SSL, and I would like port 25 unblocked. Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.