Need help connecting your router?
davisnick's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 11:27 PM

U-Verse Expansion

Hello, my name is Nicholas [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information], and I am inquiring about U-Verse expansion in my area. I am actually doing this for myself and on behalf of my HOA (and all the other individuals in my area currently without high speed internet). Basically, my neighborhood is fairly new, with houses ranging from 7 years old to just built yesterday. Currently the only internet options available to us newer resident has to be beamed in (i.e satellite or 4G LTE) which is sometimes slow and limited in the amount of data used per month. While some older residents have DSL, but would like to switch to high speed if it were offered.  

Whenever any of us newer residents try to get DSL we are told that the current limit of our areas infrastructure has been met. We are then told that DSL is old outdated technology, and AT&T has no plans of expanding on that infrastructure. They will instead be expanding U-Verse, if anything is done at all.

When asked what the future holds for U-Verse in our area we are referred to the link to be sent a notification email when U-Verse is available. Many of us have called customer service trying to get relative dates, only to be told that there is no way of finding out. There is one individual in my HOA who was claims he got a call back by someone last summer saying we are on the list for some time in 2014.

My question is what avenues do we need to pursue in order to get more concrete information? Said infrastructures do not just appear out of thin air overnight. There is someone, somewhere, who knows what the master plan is, how do I contact them? Also, if there is no plan to expand in my area, what do we as an HOA need to do in order to see that the ball gets rolling? It is not like we are in the middle of nowhere, it is just that infrastructure expansion seems to have been slowed. I know the investment is there because our area is continuing to grow, but met its infrastructure's capacity years ago.

The neighborhood in question is Riverside at Lanier Springs, located in Sugar Hill / Buford, Georgia. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Your best step may be to contact your local government. They may be able to get the info for you and even encourage the addition of the service to your neighborhood. You could look into contacting the local Public Service Authority as well.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I appreciate the advice. I will pass this on to the rest of the HOA and see what we can do. I think someone has already been in contact with our local government, but not in the last year or so. It definitely wouldn't hurt to try again now that I have more information. However, before I were to rally my neighbors and spearhead this movement, is there any possible way to see if a plan is already in works? It would seem silly to go through all the effort of getting 200 people/units plus the government involved only to find out we were already included in something like Project VIP.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

im having the same problem  the box is at the end of my road  that the eletronics goes in   but   no one has installed the electronics needed  for me to get  uverse in my area  im to the point of filing a complaint with the fcc and bbb [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@randallrivy wrote:

im having the same problem  the box is at the end of my road  that the eletronics goes in   but   no one has installed the electronics needed  for me to get  uverse in my area  im to the point of filing a complaint with the fcc and bbb 

Again, you can file all you want, it's not going to do anything but waste your time, none of those agencies have any control on where a provider installs and where they don't install.  

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

How do you explain fiber being run through about half of a subdivision while the other half gets left with the mediocre at best DSL service, which by the way costs more? My neighbor literally across the street has U-Verse while we do not. This hasn't stopped AT&T from sending me flyers constantly wanting me to switch to AT&T U-Verse, even though I can't. The only explanation I've gotten is somehow related to engineering. Meanwhile this magical engineering can't figure out how to provide DSL speeds even close to what they advertise.

Frankly, it's all a bunch of garbage and if we had another option I can assure you no one in our subdivision would be with AT&T. We are also located in metro Atlanta, only on the south side, so I feel the pain from my neighbors to the north. I never thought I'd pine for an opportunity to switch to a Charter or Comcast.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@cmullins232   ATT has provided only 40-45% of ATT users w/UverseTV and internet (45-3M) on VDSL2, 30-35% users w/ ADSL2+ internet (18M-768K) for those beyond VDSL2 range and 20-25% of users will get no DSL of any kind.

ATT is using ATT wireless 4G LTE to provide internet services for those w/no wireline service available.

http://www.att.com/cellphones/att/wireless-home-phone-and-internet.html#sku=sku7130587

DirecTV is in the mix now too as part of ATT.

Wireline expansion is pretty much kaput. Only thing being installed is Gigapower, on new fiber optic cable, in very select neighborhoods already getting Uverse wireline service. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

375 Messages

8 years ago

What do you have for TV Service ?

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

I completely understand all of these figures, but somehow a little less that half of our subdivison now has fiber cable, while the rest of us are stuck with way overpriced slow DSL. We are definitely not going to be getting the wireless coverage, as current cell service is terrible as well. My point is why would they provide fiber to part of the neighborhood and just stop? And I'm not exaggerating when I say they house across the street has fiber and runs it from the same box we use. It is a completely ridiculous situation. I don't see where this is going other than just being forgotten about. I'm pretty sure there are a lot more people in this situation, especially if what you say is true that wireline expansion is kaput. Thanks for the reply.

To the other person who replied, we have Directv service, which we are actually currently happy with; although I shudder to see how it evolves now that it's part of the AT&T family. 

Scholar

• 

375 Messages

8 years ago

I never thought I'd pine for an opportunity to switch to a Charter or Comcast.

Which is available to you ?

They might have Internet

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

Unfortunately neither is available to us. We are at the mercy of AT&T for everything except satellite options.

For some reason our subdivision developer didn't allow either cable company to run cable, even though it exists directly outside the neighborhood. At the time, it didn't seem like a big deal, but has obviously now proven to be a big deal. Probably affects property value but I'd like to not even think about that. Makes my head hurt. Thanks for the suggestion.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.