Need help connecting your router?
biggerD's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 4:21 PM

Sharing U-verse internet with a roommate securely

My Win Vista PC is connected to the wireless gateway by an ethernet cable.  I want my roommate to have wireless access, but absolutely zero contact with my PC and vice versa.  What does a novice need to do to accomplish this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

I believe you want to protect your PC by requiring password sign-in also turn off any sharing. Check your security preferences for options.

You probably should also have password sign-in for physical (i.e. keyboard) access.

Many people have problems getting devices to see each other (e.g. a wireless printer). So, your roommates PC may not even see yours.

Go here - http://192.168.1.254/ to turn on wireless & set security. Click on the wireless icon.

why not string a wire?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

biggerD - Re: The roommates email address autofilled during the registration. Troubling. Did full scan just in case.

I believe fill in is a setting on your browser - turning it off is recommended for security

BTW, the wireless light on the gateway is not lit. On the gateway settings page wireless interface is enabled though. Roommate will test the wireless connection later, maybe it only lights when I'm farther along in the process?

I believe the light is lit only when there is a connection with a computer. Maybe even blinks when actually sending data.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks. Forums rock.  I did all your suggestions, most  were already done.  Everyone seems to expect wireless.  The roommate was connected by ethernet for a few hours to test the service before he moves in.  Then I worried about security and registered for this forum.  The roommates email address autofilled during the registration.  Troubling.  Did full scan just in case.  BTW, the wireless light on the gateway is not lit.  On the gateway settings page wireless interface is enabled though.  Roommate will test the wireless connection later, maybe it only lights when I'm farther along in the process?  I may be back!  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.