Need help connecting your router?
AmazinglySmooth's profile

Scholar

• 

215 Messages

Friday, October 18th, 2013 3:16 PM

OpenDNS using AT&T's router?

Can I use OpenDNS with AT&T's router?  I like the parental filtering options through OpenDNS.  Today, I'm using a router that hands out OpenDNS for TW internet but will be switching to Uverse this afternoon.  I'd like to keep it the same.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

The DNS entries cannot be changed on U-Verse's gateway.  But, you can run your existing router behind the U-Verse gateway and continue to use OpenDNS on it.

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using U-Verse's DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

This procedure applies to the 2Wire/Pace VDSL gateways (3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, i3812V, and 3600HGV).  It may also work with the 5031NV, but this has not been tested.

If you get a Motorola NVG510 or NVG589, there is a different procedure, try this:

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/Using-your-own-router-with-the-Motorola-NVG510-it-absolutely/m-p/3434307/highlight/true#M17745

Scholar

• 

215 Messages

10 years ago

I'm getting upgraded to 45Mbps equipment.  I will know once the tech arrives with the box which one it is.  Thanks.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

If you're getting the 45 Mbps package, you'll be getting the Motorola NVG589.

Scholar

• 

215 Messages

10 years ago

Is there an advantage to doing all this?  I just plugged in my router to the gateway and it is working.  Is there lower latency if I do this?  

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

If you just connect the router to the gateway and go from there, then your router gets a private IP address from the gateway. This causes two problems:

1. You're doing double NAT. This can increase latency and possibly lower total available throughput/bandwidth.

2. If you need to make firewall port forwarding entries, you have to do it on both the U-Verse gateway as well as your router.

By following one of the posts linked to above, your router gets the public IP address from the gateway rather than a private one. This means single NAT, and easier firewall configuration.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I looked into OpenDNS but found I could not use with my 2WIRE338 router/U-Verse. Ideally I would like to be able to monitor detailed internet activitiy for every device using my router (translation: teenagers), but if I have to set up another modem in addition to the current one and possibly lose internet speed, I will pass. Any other alternatives?

Also, if all else fails, I would settle for knowing if there is ANY internet activity/usage occuring at any given time (i.e. middle of the night), even if I can't see what sites are being accessed.

Open to any suggestions.

Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

FYI, the "2WIRE338" isn't a model number, but your SSID which identifies your wireless network, IIRC, the 338 is part of your serial number.

You can use www.uvrealtime.com to track usage over time; I'm trying to remember what precision it reports in the free/paid versions. 

If you have any technical background you can use tools like PRTG to capture port stats from the RG via SNMP and map usage yourself.

Finally, using your own router behind the RG may actually speed up your Internet access (vs slow it down) and would allow you to configure your choice of DNS (such as OpenDNS) and give you access to whatever features that router has (e.g. many have time of day access).

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have configured my 3801HGV and Netgear WNDR3400 as instructed at http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182. I then changed the DNS addresses on the WNDR3400 to those of OpenDNS and tested it and got the message "Success! You're  Now Using OpenDNS". I went to the OpenDNS dashboard and configured the filtering.

The Netgear has DHCP enabled. The devices served by my Netgear show it as their DNS address (10.0.0.1), and they are getting their IP addresses assigned by the Netgear.

But, no filtering is happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The problem seems to be that the Netgear behind the RG doesn't work using netgear.opendns.com. I manually registered the public IP address at opendns.com and it works now.

Jeff

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I actually loaded Opendhcp server on my windows pc configure to give ip addresses and opendns settings, disable my dhcp server on my AT&T router.  Works like a charm.  My netgear nighthawk was not staying connected IP pass through.  It was the only option I could find.  Very happy with the results.  Plus I have better network speeds with my at&t router.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.