Need help connecting your router?
fareedb's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Friday, October 11th, 2013 8:16 PM

Internet Speed Drops After Multiple Computers Are Turned On

I am a newbie, so thanks in advance for everyone's insight, I recently upgraded my internet from Max to Max Plus and i added U300 Tv, the problem i am having is lets say i have my computer that is connected directly to the 3801HGV on as the first machine i turn on and i put on my laptop for say using the wireless it causes the wireless speed (via speedtest) to drop to running about 2MB down and 1 Up. now if i shut down the first machine and say connect my laptop only to the internet it shows 18+MB and 1.5 up and if i turn the same computer that is hooked directly to 3801 it now shows barely as getting 2-3MB down and barely 1 up. Now add the fact i wanted to run my old Linsys router as my wireless so i could use the N feature, i have connected the Linksys lan port to an available port on the 3801 and disabled the dhcp and left the wireless n on, same issue, now i am just using the ports as a switch on the linksys (no wireless n) and although everything is connected to the 3801 directly and using it's wireless it still drops considerable when i try to use another computer on the network. I am lost any help will be greatly appreciated, have a great weekend everyone.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

fareedb - Either coax or cat5 may work fine. The cat5 should have a slight edge. Regular STBs. like the wireless ones, are not worked as hard as the DVR. They even work wireless. But, the DVR needs to back feed the other STBs with recordings while recording/watching additional shows. So, it requires the best connection. Notice it is not offered wireless. So, if you have the choice, choose cat5. If COAX is easy, you can always try it & change if it is problematic.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

fareedb - Be sure not to mix TV and internet on the same network link to the RG. Of the four available assign what you need to computers & others for TV. If you need more ports, use switches or a switch on each leg.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Aviewer, i will try that but the difference in internet speed with the computers is baffling to me since they are connected to the gateway differently and are gettting different speeds based on which is turned on first. The first one showing what i am supposed to be getting and the second one getting significantly lower speeds (speed test checked).currently the Whole home dvr I have in a separate room which is connected to a linksys router bridged using the LAN ports for other devices and Whole home DVR, Should i try to get a direct line from Whole home DVR to Gateway then? also is it possible to use coax to send a signal to the whole home DVR since i only have one cable run to the location where the DVR is and it is being used by the brifged linksys router acting as a switch. Originally i was using the Linksys for the N capabilities but since it has been difficult to get my internet working i turned the WIFI of on the router (no N ) and am using the uverse gateway now (not ideal) and ideas for a more efficient setup? thanks again for your insight and help.   

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

fareedb - It can be difficult to come up with enough connections. My comment is based on posts indicating video can flood some switches/routers & kill the computer traffic.

Ideally the DVR should be directly connected to the RG for whole house service. So, what does the rest of your TV setup look like?
Are you pair bonded? Then the TVs would all be coax.
If standard install - Is NID to RG COAX? If yes, there is a diplexer to feed TVs via a splitter or direct.

If there is nothing connected to the COAX connector on the RG, then you can use it for an STB. DVR or STB. If you have other STBs connected cat5, you could swap the DVR with one. I have my cat5 TVs connected with this switch ( which appears in recommend posts). - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006RVPW/ref=asc_df_B00006RVPW1644937?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00006RVPW

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Aviewer, what i have is a 3801HGV ( I am supposedly 880ft from Box) copper comes into house and connects to 3801 in a closet, 1 port on the back of the 3801 connects to the WAP for the wireless box in another room, another connect to a desktop computer that is in the same room another connects to another room (via a cat5e cable) to a Linksys WRT600N that is setup in bridge mode(the ethernet cable i have it going to a LAN port and i disabled the DHCP on the Linksys) this i use to feed the whole home DVR and 3 other ethernet devices (Roku, Blueray etc). I was using the wireless of the Linksys to be able to get expanded signal and wireless N but i turned the wireless of and am now using the 3801 wireless G (wish i coulduse the N of the Linksys). Please let meknow if you have any ideas fora more efficient setup, thanks again.   

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

fareedb - It all sounds good - very similar to my setup - except for one thing - mixing TV and internet on the cat5 leg with the DVR. I do not have personal experience, but, based on other posts, I believe the linksys can be flooded by the TV & it affects the rest of the computers because there are non-TV devices on the network.

I believe you need to get the DVR off that leg. THen you should be able to use the wireless on the Linksys.

Do I count that you have a spare port? If not & the coax is free you can try it. If it is not free (used to feed the RG), you would need a diplexer to connect the DVR.

Or, get the recommended switch & feed the WAP & DVR from it

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Aviewer- Would running the DVR via coax be less optimal than using the ethernet route, can i have the whole home DVR hooked up via coax from the the 3801 and my other receiver hooked via the WAP. 

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks again Aviewer for all you insight and guidance, i will let you know how i work the whole Cat 5e versus Coax debacle out

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@fareedb wrote:

Aviewer, what i have is a 3801HGV ( I am supposedly 880ft from Box) copper comes into house and connects to 3801 in a closet, 1 port on the back of the 3801 connects to the WAP for the wireless box in another room, another connect to a desktop computer that is in the same room another connects to another room (via a cat5e cable) to a Linksys WRT600N that is setup in bridge mode(the ethernet cable i have it going to a LAN port and i disabled the DHCP on the Linksys) this i use to feed the whole home DVR and 3 other ethernet devices (Roku, Blueray etc). 

You have the DVR hooked to the linksys WRT600N?

And you have performance problems as soon as you turn on a wireless device (that I'm going to guess connects to the WRT600N)?

I'm not surprised.  Can you put the WRT600N on a different port on the RG from the DVR?  Consumer grade wireless routers don't perform well when trying to cope with multicast traffic, such as that used with IPTV.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.