Posted Jul 19, 2013
12:16:26 PM
I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 20, 2013 6:49:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Netflix will scale the quality of the video to match the bandwidth of your connection.  Sometimes latency, or issues on the connection between Netflix's Content Delivery Network and AT&T can cause buffering.  Try some other streaming service to see if the problem seems to be with Netflix or with your connection in general.

Report back and we'll do our best to guide you further.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

25 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 12:30:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What internet tier are you on?  Here is a link to the different packages and the features they support: AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

What internet tier are you on?  Here is a link to the different packages and the features they support: AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

2 of 26 (2,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 2:33:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. Just started with U-verse.

Thanks. Just started with U-verse.

Re: I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

3 of 26 (2,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 20, 2013 6:49:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Netflix will scale the quality of the video to match the bandwidth of your connection.  Sometimes latency, or issues on the connection between Netflix's Content Delivery Network and AT&T can cause buffering.  Try some other streaming service to see if the problem seems to be with Netflix or with your connection in general.

4 of 26 (2,755 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 4:38:55 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hello Mark Fuchs, I'm sorry you are experiencing an interruption while streaming video on Netflix. BeeBee SA and Jeffer MC brought up some excellent points regarding these video streaming services. The internet speed you chose will make a notable difference when it comes to streaming video. Although you are able to stream video with the lower speeds it is recommended to have 18mbps or higher for best results. I will be glad to research your account and perform some tests to determine if there are any problems with your network or help you get the speed that fits your needs. I have sent you a private message to discuss your account in detail. :smileyhappy:

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello Mark Fuchs, I'm sorry you are experiencing an interruption while streaming video on Netflix. BeeBee SA and Jeffer MC brought up some excellent points regarding these video streaming services. The internet speed you chose will make a notable difference when it comes to streaming video. Although you are able to stream video with the lower speeds it is recommended to have 18mbps or higher for best results. I will be glad to research your account and perform some tests to determine if there are any problems with your network or help you get the speed that fits your needs. I have sent you a private message to discuss your account in detail. :smileyhappy:

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 26 (2,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 8:23:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the help and education on U-verse. I am hoping to learn more

from reading information in the forum. I had just moved to my new home and

Direct TV offered internet through AT&T. Now I learn that U-verse has a TV

package as well. I am not under contract to Direct TV, so I might just make

the move to a full AT&T package, if the price is right!

Mark (Removed for security reasons)

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Community Mailer

Thanks for the help and education on U-verse. I am hoping to learn more

from reading information in the forum. I had just moved to my new home and

Direct TV offered internet through AT&T. Now I learn that U-verse has a TV

package as well. I am not under contract to Direct TV, so I might just make

the move to a full AT&T package, if the price is right!

Mark (Removed for security reasons)

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Community Mailer

6 of 26 (2,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 9:57:11 AM
(0)
Community Support

You're welcome markrfuchs! I have sent you a private message with some quotes so you can get an idea of what the pricing is like. :smileyhappy:

You're welcome markrfuchs! I have sent you a private message with some quotes so you can get an idea of what the pricing is like. :smileyhappy:

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 26 (2,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 10:20:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem. Amazon Prime and Hulu.com work find but Netflix seem to be the problem. Sometimes Netflix freezes but most of the time the audio track will not synch up with the video track.

Jess

I have the same problem. Amazon Prime and Hulu.com work find but Netflix seem to be the problem. Sometimes Netflix freezes but most of the time the audio track will not synch up with the video track.

Jess

Re: I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because

8 of 26 (2,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 3:52:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
We have the 12 mb tier and have no netflix streaming issues. No need to have 18 mb for netflix. I think netflix recommends 6 mb or more.
We have the 12 mb tier and have no netflix streaming issues. No need to have 18 mb for netflix. I think netflix recommends 6 mb or more.

Re: I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because

9 of 26 (2,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2014 6:23:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jimisham on Mar 1, 2014 at 6:29:30 AM

I agree with the above poster. No need for 18 mb tier. 12 mb tier works fine.

I've checked my speed with http://www.speedtest.net/. Always runs between 10 and 11 mb and usually hits 11+.

I agree with the above poster. No need for 18 mb tier. 12 mb tier works fine.

I've checked my speed with http://www.speedtest.net/. Always runs between 10 and 11 mb and usually hits 11+.

[ Edited ]
10 of 26 (2,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 6:48:25 PM
(0)
Employee
My suggestion would be to go into your RGs control panel via 192.168.1.254

Get the Device Access Code/System Password from the side of the RG, it is NOT the same as the wireless network key. Then goto your wireless network configuration page. Find the wireless channel and make sure it's NOT on AUTO. If it is, lock it into a channel besides 1, 6, or 11. I usually use 9. I'd be willing to bet money it will at least make it better. It won't always fix it, but that auto channel feature is garbage and they should remove it from the gateways.
My suggestion would be to go into your RGs control panel via 192.168.1.254

Get the Device Access Code/System Password from the side of the RG, it is NOT the same as the wireless network key. Then goto your wireless network configuration page. Find the wireless channel and make sure it's NOT on AUTO. If it is, lock it into a channel besides 1, 6, or 11. I usually use 9. I'd be willing to bet money it will at least make it better. It won't always fix it, but that auto channel feature is garbage and they should remove it from the gateways.

11 of 26 (2,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2014 2:05:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having trouble watching Netflix streaming.  I was wondering if there is a fix on this.  It happens when it drops to below 1.5 mbps.  Very frustrating, is there anything that you can do to speed things up?  Help.

I am having trouble watching Netflix streaming.  I was wondering if there is a fix on this.  It happens when it drops to below 1.5 mbps.  Very frustrating, is there anything that you can do to speed things up?  Help.

12 of 26 (1,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 4:30:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am having this same problem during prime time with all sources of streaming video, even though Speedtest.net shows I am getting my full 12 MBPS download speed.

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Internet-Service/badly-degraded-video-viewing-during-prime-time/td...

I am having this same problem during prime time with all sources of streaming video, even though Speedtest.net shows I am getting my full 12 MBPS download speed.

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Internet-Service/badly-degraded-video-viewing-during-prime-time/td-p/3988772

13 of 26 (1,697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 1:02:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on May 30, 2014 at 1:06:33 PM

I am paying for 18mbps - and rarely get even close to that. Frankly, I have been testing my speed regularly for a few weeks now and keeping a log. The highest I have had is 13517 and the lowest is 1028. A few minutes ago it logged in at 8342. 

I have been through all the "fixes" for this. Your guys have re-set or whatever they do from their end; I have reset numerous times. AT&T simply is not providing the service we are paying for.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

I am paying for 18mbps - and rarely get even close to that. Frankly, I have been testing my speed regularly for a few weeks now and keeping a log. The highest I have had is 13517 and the lowest is 1028. A few minutes ago it logged in at 8342. 

I have been through all the "fixes" for this. Your guys have re-set or whatever they do from their end; I have reset numerous times. AT&T simply is not providing the service we are paying for.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

it's AT&T

[ Edited ]
14 of 26 (1,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 1:42:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Pro Z,

Are you testing your speed wired, or wireless?

Are you testing with more than one server or speed test service?

Are you testing with nothing else significant (e.g. large movie download, onlin backup, P2P filesharing) going on over your network connection at the same time?

Pro Z,

Are you testing your speed wired, or wireless?

Are you testing with more than one server or speed test service?

Are you testing with nothing else significant (e.g. large movie download, onlin backup, P2P filesharing) going on over your network connection at the same time?

Re: it's AT&T

15 of 26 (1,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 6:18:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

wireless - only option

I mostly test with AT&T speed test but have tried others to see if it was the AT&T service - no difference.

I test with nothing but my computer on and only that test going on.

And my computer is top of the line - so that isn't it.

However, I am also using AT&T equipment that is quite a few years old (maybe 6-7 years) and I am required to "rent" it each month for 7 bucks. AT&T has refused to replace it for me unless I want to "buy" new equipment and pay for new installation. Frankly, I have already paid for this modem several times over. And with the AT&T Uverse internet service being so poor, I am not inclined to spend even more to buy new equipment and installation from AT&T. I am more likely to go elsewhere.

wireless - only option

I mostly test with AT&T speed test but have tried others to see if it was the AT&T service - no difference.

However, I am also using AT&T equipment that is quite a few years old (maybe 6-7 years) and I am required to "rent" it each month for 7 bucks. AT&T has refused to replace it for me unless I want to "buy" new equipment and pay for new installation. Frankly, I have already paid for this modem several times over. And with the AT&T Uverse internet service being so poor, I am not inclined to spend even more to buy new equipment and installation from AT&T. I am more likely to go elsewhere.

16 of 26 (1,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 8:16:27 PM
(0)
Employee
Prof Z... which RG
suspect if RG has never been replaced the 3800 as 3801 and i38hg are about 4 years old.
do have both iptv service with internet or internet without tv service.

I take it if can purchase an RG you do not have tv service.
Purchased RGs would be 3600... Similar to 3800 without tv service or 5031 released around June 2013.
Both units are $100 with a 1 year warranty. Any problems buying another.
The leased RG can be replaced without additional cost to another lease unit.
Prof Z... which RG
suspect if RG has never been replaced the 3800 as 3801 and i38hg are about 4 years old.
do have both iptv service with internet or internet without tv service.

I take it if can purchase an RG you do not have tv service.
Purchased RGs would be 3600... Similar to 3800 without tv service or 5031 released around June 2013.
Both units are $100 with a 1 year warranty. Any problems buying another.
The leased RG can be replaced without additional cost to another lease unit.

17 of 26 (1,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 7:10:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Prof Z wrote:

wireless - only option

Even with a higher-quality Wireless Access Point or Router, speed can fluctuate due to interference.  If you have many neighbors (especially in an apartment building situation) who have wireless networks,  baby monitors, wireless phones, even running microwave ovens, these can affect your wireless performance.  

Because of this I recommend that (if possible) a test be conducted using a wired connection to be sure that you're getting good bandwidth as far as the RG.  If not, that's a different set of problems to be corrected.

Prof Z wrote:

wireless - only option

Even with a higher-quality Wireless Access Point or Router, speed can fluctuate due to interference.  If you have many neighbors (especially in an apartment building situation) who have wireless networks,  baby monitors, wireless phones, even running microwave ovens, these can affect your wireless performance.  

Because of this I recommend that (if possible) a test be conducted using a wired connection to be sure that you're getting good bandwidth as far as the RG.  If not, that's a different set of problems to be corrected.

18 of 26 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 11:17:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have 3801hgv. I assume that is the model number. And your solution seems to be the same as the AT&T solution.

"We're sorry that our service and equipment are so lousy but if you buy/spend more money with us that will do the trick." 

That was how/why I upgraded from 12mbps to 18mbps - because I was assured that my servce was so slow because I needed to spend more money to have the faster speed. My speed is no different now at 18mbps than it was at 12mbps.

I have 3801hgv. I assume that is the model number. And your solution seems to be the same as the AT&T solution.

"We're sorry that our service and equipment are so lousy but if you buy/spend more money with us that will do the trick." 

That was how/why I upgraded from 12mbps to 18mbps - because I was assured that my servce was so slow because I needed to spend more money to have the faster speed. My speed is no different now at 18mbps than it was at 12mbps.

it's At&T

19 of 26 (1,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 11:27:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

Testing with a wired connection is not possible.

I guess I just have to get a new Internet service provider because AT&T is very unconcerned about providing me with what I am paying for. I have been an AT&T customer since I was first old enough to pay my own phone bill - about 35 years now. Apparently, customer loyalty is not of concern to AT&T either. So sad . . . You would think AT&T would come out here and install the new modem gratis because of the number of years and amount of money I have given to this company. But if I have to buy new equipment and pay for installation again, there is no reason to stay with AT&T Uverse, since it has proven to be such a lousy service operated by a company that does not provide customer service.  

I still have my phones with AT&T. But that may change as well when I change my Internet service. I already have my TV with Dish . . . and it does Internet.

Testing with a wired connection is not possible.

I guess I just have to get a new Internet service provider because AT&T is very unconcerned about providing me with what I am paying for. I have been an AT&T customer since I was first old enough to pay my own phone bill - about 35 years now. Apparently, customer loyalty is not of concern to AT&T either. So sad . . . You would think AT&T would come out here and install the new modem gratis because of the number of years and amount of money I have given to this company. But if I have to buy new equipment and pay for installation again, there is no reason to stay with AT&T Uverse, since it has proven to be such a lousy service operated by a company that does not provide customer service.  

I still have my phones with AT&T. But that may change as well when I change my Internet service. I already have my TV with Dish . . . and it does Internet.

20 of 26 (1,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 12:07:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The wireless speed is not guaranteed, because there are too many factors beyond AT&T's control that influence wireless speed.  Even when wired, they won't commit to the full speed, but will normally work with you to get reasonably close.  I normally get nearly a Mbps more than I pay for.

Fixing an issue with the speed from the VRAD to your RG is totally different from fixing wireless issues within your home, and not being able to tell where the problem is handicaps problem resolution.  But if you're not getting 12 Mbps from 12 Mbps service, then upgrading to 18 Mbps is a fool's errand and I wish telephone customer support wouldn't suggest it.

The wireless speed is not guaranteed, because there are too many factors beyond AT&T's control that influence wireless speed.  Even when wired, they won't commit to the full speed, but will normally work with you to get reasonably close.  I normally get nearly a Mbps more than I pay for.

Fixing an issue with the speed from the VRAD to your RG is totally different from fixing wireless issues within your home, and not being able to tell where the problem is handicaps problem resolution.  But if you're not getting 12 Mbps from 12 Mbps service, then upgrading to 18 Mbps is a fool's errand and I wish telephone customer support wouldn't suggest it.

21 of 26 (1,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 5:24:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

Here's what I have been getting all day today - ran it several times:

Last Result: Download Speed: 622 kbps (77.8 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 1934 kbps (241.8 KB/sec transfer rate) Latency: 40 ms Jitter: 1 ms Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:21:40 PM

Great, huh? I'm paying for 18mbps and not even getting 1mbps.

Last Result: Download Speed: 622 kbps (77.8 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 1934 kbps (241.8 KB/sec transfer rate) Latency: 40 ms Jitter: 1 ms Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:21:40 PM

22 of 26 (1,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 7:35:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Prof Z wrote:

Great!  Too bad you have no way to tell if this is a wireless problem or a line problem.

Prof Z wrote:

Great!  Too bad you have no way to tell if this is a wireless problem or a line problem.

23 of 26 (1,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2014 8:21:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
This has not been solved. All that thread told me is that lots of other people are having the same issue.
This has not been solved. All that thread told me is that lots of other people are having the same issue.

24 of 26 (1,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2014 7:13:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Nonnanix wrote:

What has not been solved?  What is your problem?  

Nonnanix wrote:

What has not been solved?  What is your problem?  

25 of 26 (1,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2014 8:07:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Nonnanix wrote:

I've been watching Netflix all evening and not seen any issues.  I use Netflix "1 hour episodes" of TV shows as my laundry timer, as it generally takes the same amount of time to wash or dry a load of laundry as it takes to watch the 43-48 minutes of content in a "1 hour" TV episode on Netflix.  I've been watching these in HD on my MacBook Pro and not had any quality or performance issues.  Maybe I'm just lucky, or something, but I don't seem to see the slowdowns that you are seeing.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Nonnanix wrote:

I've been watching Netflix all evening and not seen any issues.  I use Netflix "1 hour episodes" of TV shows as my laundry timer, as it generally takes the same amount of time to wash or dry a load of laundry as it takes to watch the 43-48 minutes of content in a "1 hour" TV episode on Netflix.  I've been watching these in HD on my MacBook Pro and not had any quality or performance issues.  Maybe I'm just lucky, or something, but I don't seem to see the slowdowns that you are seeing.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

26 of 26 (1,116 Views)