Need help connecting your router?
markrfuchs's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, July 19th, 2013 7:16 PM

I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

I tried to watch a Netfix movie, but it keep stopping to load every few minutes! Is this because there isn't enough bandwith in U-verse?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having trouble watching Netflix streaming.  I was wondering if there is a fix on this.  It happens when it drops to below 1.5 mbps.  Very frustrating, is there anything that you can do to speed things up?  Help.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I am having this same problem during prime time with all sources of streaming video, even though Speedtest.net shows I am getting my full 12 MBPS download speed.

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Internet-Service/badly-degraded-video-viewing-during-prime-time/td-p/3988772

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I am paying for 18mbps - and rarely get even close to that. Frankly, I have been testing my speed regularly for a few weeks now and keeping a log. The highest I have had is 13517 and the lowest is 1028. A few minutes ago it logged in at 8342. 

I have been through all the "fixes" for this. Your guys have re-set or whatever they do from their end; I have reset numerous times. AT&T simply is not providing the service we are paying for.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Pro Z,

Are you testing your speed wired, or wireless?

Are you testing with more than one server or speed test service?

Are you testing with nothing else significant (e.g. large movie download, onlin backup, P2P filesharing) going on over your network connection at the same time?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

wireless - only option

I mostly test with AT&T speed test but have tried others to see if it was the AT&T service - no difference.

I test with nothing but my computer on and only that test going on.

And my computer is top of the line - so that isn't it.

However, I am also using AT&T equipment that is quite a few years old (maybe 6-7 years) and I am required to "rent" it each month for 7 bucks. AT&T has refused to replace it for me unless I want to "buy" new equipment and pay for new installation. Frankly, I have already paid for this modem several times over. And with the AT&T Uverse internet service being so poor, I am not inclined to spend even more to buy new equipment and installation from AT&T. I am more likely to go elsewhere.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@Prof Z wrote:

wireless - only option

I mostly test with AT&T speed test but have tried others to see if it was the AT&T service - no difference.

I test with nothing but my computer on and only that test going on.

And my computer is top of the line - so that isn't it.

However, I am also using AT&T equipment that is quite a few years old (maybe 6-7 years) and I am required to "rent" it each month for 7 bucks. AT&T has refused to replace it for me unless I want to "buy" new equipment and pay for new installation. Frankly, I have already paid for this modem several times over. And with the AT&T Uverse internet service being so poor, I am not inclined to spend even more to buy new equipment and installation from AT&T. I am more likely to go elsewhere.

Even with a higher-quality Wireless Access Point or Router, speed can fluctuate due to interference.  If you have many neighbors (especially in an apartment building situation) who have wireless networks,  baby monitors, wireless phones, even running microwave ovens, these can affect your wireless performance.  

Because of this I recommend that (if possible) a test be conducted using a wired connection to be sure that you're getting good bandwidth as far as the RG.  If not, that's a different set of problems to be corrected.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I have 3801hgv. I assume that is the model number. And your solution seems to be the same as the AT&T solution.

"We're sorry that our service and equipment are so lousy but if you buy/spend more money with us that will do the trick." 

That was how/why I upgraded from 12mbps to 18mbps - because I was assured that my servce was so slow because I needed to spend more money to have the faster speed. My speed is no different now at 18mbps than it was at 12mbps.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Testing with a wired connection is not possible.

I guess I just have to get a new Internet service provider because AT&T is very unconcerned about providing me with what I am paying for. I have been an AT&T customer since I was first old enough to pay my own phone bill - about 35 years now. Apparently, customer loyalty is not of concern to AT&T either. So sad . . . You would think AT&T would come out here and install the new modem gratis because of the number of years and amount of money I have given to this company. But if I have to buy new equipment and pay for installation again, there is no reason to stay with AT&T Uverse, since it has proven to be such a lousy service operated by a company that does not provide customer service.  

I still have my phones with AT&T. But that may change as well when I change my Internet service. I already have my TV with Dish . . . and it does Internet.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

The wireless speed is not guaranteed, because there are too many factors beyond AT&T's control that influence wireless speed.  Even when wired, they won't commit to the full speed, but will normally work with you to get reasonably close.  I normally get nearly a Mbps more than I pay for.

Fixing an issue with the speed from the VRAD to your RG is totally different from fixing wireless issues within your home, and not being able to tell where the problem is handicaps problem resolution.  But if you're not getting 12 Mbps from 12 Mbps service, then upgrading to 18 Mbps is a fool's errand and I wish telephone customer support wouldn't suggest it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Here's what I have been getting all day today - ran it several times:

Last Result: Download Speed: 622 kbps (77.8 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 1934 kbps (241.8 KB/sec transfer rate) Latency: 40 ms Jitter: 1 ms Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:21:40 PM

Great, huh? I'm paying for 18mbps and not even getting 1mbps.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.