Need help connecting your router?
sri786's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 5:05 AM

Dry Loop DSL (AT&T) to UVerse Nightmare

Hi

I am trying to upgrade from dry loop DSL (which I had since 2001) to UVerse since I keep getting those snail mails and emails and my DSL has become from bad to worse. I pay for 3Mbps but get less than 1. I chatted with the rep, opened support tickets to get that fixed and they asked me to upgrade to Uverse. So I did ordered online after chatting with the rep. Now, the two departments cannot talk to each other. Uverse tells me to call AT&T and cancel the DSL first become they can place the order in their system. AT&T says they cannot put a future cancel date and there for it is a catch 22. I need to be without service for 1-2 weeks. They wont even ship me the gateway and keep the downtime minimum. Has anyone here faced such an issue? Is there an escalation/enhanced customer support to make this transition seamless. I am almost willing to give up and move to cable or even dish. My speeds is pathetic now considering I am paying $30 for this.

Thanks !!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you have AT&T DSL you do not need to disconnect anything before uverse can be installed.  Now if you have another provider's DSL then yes you have to disco that before uverse can be installed.  FCC mumbo jumbo rules they have to follow.

If you have AT&T DSL and are still having problems I would recommend that you send a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I tried that route too but was no different. They want people to move over to Uverse but cannot guarantee seamless connectivity. It's the same company I am dealing with. They cannot specify how many days downtime and the speeds are not guaranteed either. Thanks for the pointer though.

Here's what I received from Customer Care:

I have taken a look at the Uverse order that was placed and the error message that was caused as a part of the order. I am sorry but with the kind of connection that you have now and the kind of connection that you would be moving to, there would be a gap in coverage of internet service. The DSL would have to be disconnected before the Uverse service circuit could be created. The Uverse circuit can not be created unless there is no DSL (AT&T or other provider) on the same service lines to the home. This would be a case where the DSL will need to be disconnected prior to getting Uverse and there would be no way of telling the time of the gap until a new order is processed. I can see that Uverse is available at this location and may be able to provide a higher sped then you have with DSL, but again, we can not tell how long you would have to be without processing a new installation order.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Normally when the DSL is AT&T provided, AT&T will accept the U-verse order and disconnect the DSL as a part of the U-verse install process.  If all goes well, that means an interuption of a few hours, though some have had outages of a few days due to complications with the U-verse installation.

If the DSL is not AT&T provided, then AT&T will not accept an order for U-verse on that line.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, this is AT&T DSL. The response from ATTCustomerCare seems to suggest that not all of them are alike

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

ATT Customer care got this resolved with minimal downtime (of a few hours) and everything went so smooth. Thanks to all on this thread

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@sri786 wrote:

ATT Customer care got this resolved with minimal downtime (of a few hours) and everything went so smooth. Thanks to all on this thread

Glad to hear it.  Thanks for letting us know.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.