U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 8, 2014
12:48:35 AM
View profile
Data cap?
I just signed up for service the other day, awaiting installation next week. I was looking over some things and just discovered the unreasonably low data limit on home service. Am I reading this wrong or are we seriously capped 250 gb? I ordered the Uverse power plan. We stream hulu and netflix on three different roku boxes, download movies, play games, kids school work, Facebook, you tube, etc. No way we can stay under 250 with 5 people using service! I was excited for the new service but unless I'm misunderstanding I'm going to have to cancel the install. Any info or experiences relevant would be appreciated. Thank you.
I just signed up for service the other day, awaiting installation next week. I was looking over some things and just discovered the unreasonably low data limit on home service. Am I reading this wrong or are we seriously capped 250 gb? I ordered the Uverse power plan. We stream hulu and netflix on three different roku boxes, download movies, play games, kids school work, Facebook, you tube, etc. No way we can stay under 250 with 5 people using service! I was excited for the new service but unless I'm misunderstanding I'm going to have to cancel the install. Any info or experiences relevant would be appreciated. Thank you.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 8, 2014 2:28:24 AM
(0)
Employee
Since the introduction of the cap, it was never been enforced on uverse. (250)
It is enforced on DSL plans (150), and wireless cell accounts.

So currently not enforced, does not mean it will always be so.
My recommendation, continue with installation, can always change providers in future if cap enforcement.

Terms of service http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp for tv and voice
Terms of service for internet http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html
Fine print http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/offer-details.jsp
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Data cap?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 8, 2014 2:28:24 AM
(0)
Employee

My recommendation, continue with installation, can always change providers in future if cap enforcement.

Terms of service http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp for tv and voice
Terms of service for internet http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Data cap?

2 of 11 (14,541 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 8:08:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You may want to look at the other guys they not only have the same cap implemented but will turn your service off if you are a repeat offender after recieving a warning so this is not AT&T specific which was already stated that currently its not inforced like the competition.

Seriously 250GB a month is a lot of data I might be wrong but you would have to download a 1080p movie every single day to approach that.

You may want to look at the other guys they not only have the same cap implemented but will turn your service off if you are a repeat offender after recieving a warning so this is not AT&T specific which was already stated that currently its not inforced like the competition.

Seriously 250GB a month is a lot of data I might be wrong but you would have to download a 1080p movie every single day to approach that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 11 (14,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 9:29:27 AM
(0)
Contributor
I had service through a certain cable provider with the worst customer service I could even imagine. But even with my daughters falling asleep with hulu streaming every night I never heard anything about a data cap. I've been wanting to try Uverse for years, since we let them build a box behind our back fence. Surely that would allow for great service with that so close? Plus there is nearly always an Att guy back there working on something, pretty convenient. I just got nervous signing a contract and worrying I'd have to stop the kids from watching shows or what not over data caps. Thanks for replies.
I had service through a certain cable provider with the worst customer service I could even imagine. But even with my daughters falling asleep with hulu streaming every night I never heard anything about a data cap. I've been wanting to try Uverse for years, since we let them build a box behind our back fence. Surely that would allow for great service with that so close? Plus there is nearly always an Att guy back there working on something, pretty convenient. I just got nervous signing a contract and worrying I'd have to stop the kids from watching shows or what not over data caps. Thanks for replies.

4 of 11 (14,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 9:32:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Examples of 250 GB Monthly Transfers

It can be difficult to put a gigabyte -- let alone 250 gigabytes -- into actual usage context. Here are some examples of how different ISPs describe 250 GB of data usage:

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Examples of 250 GB Monthly Transfers

It can be difficult to put a gigabyte -- let alone 250 gigabytes -- into actual usage context. Here are some examples of how different ISPs describe 250 GB of data usage:

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 11 (14,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 9:46:22 AM
(0)
Contributor
My husband says it should be fine. I've just been reading horror stories about data caps and overages from streaming all your tv. I guess I could always add TV services if it became an issue. Then I'd download less shows and stream less. Thank you. I was pretty stressed about it last night. Being without phone and internet for 1.5 weeks can cause stress.
My husband says it should be fine. I've just been reading horror stories about data caps and overages from streaming all your tv. I guess I could always add TV services if it became an issue. Then I'd download less shows and stream less. Thank you. I was pretty stressed about it last night. Being without phone and internet for 1.5 weeks can cause stress.

6 of 11 (14,492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 12:25:26 AM
(0)
Teacher
The cap is not really implemented right now, but if it ever is and you read the fine print I believe it says they charge for additional gigabyte and with maximum charge of 20 or 30 dollars, so even if they ever implemented it, it would not keep charging you over and over. They seem to have capped the maximum overage charge if it was to be implemented.
The cap is not really implemented right now, but if it ever is and you read the fine print I believe it says they charge for additional gigabyte and with maximum charge of 20 or 30 dollars, so even if they ever implemented it, it would not keep charging you over and over. They seem to have capped the maximum overage charge if it was to be implemented.

7 of 11 (12,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 6:32:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Is the cap being enforced right now? I just changed my plan and realized this is a new stipulation on my account (uverse, 250GB). The instructions for viewing my past usage are not accurate, or this feature is just hidden from my account. Would really like to know how much data I've used in past months to know whether or not this will be an issue...

Is the cap being enforced right now? I just changed my plan and realized this is a new stipulation on my account (uverse, 250GB). The instructions for viewing my past usage are not accurate, or this feature is just hidden from my account. Would really like to know how much data I've used in past months to know whether or not this will be an issue...

8 of 11 (11,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2014 7:08:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

No U-verse HSI customer has ever reported being able to see the usage meter since the cap was first announced (and many, many have reported that it isn't available).  AT&T has repeatedly said that we don't have to worry about the cap until the usage meter starts working.

No U-verse HSI customer has ever reported being able to see the usage meter since the cap was first announced (and many, many have reported that it isn't available).  AT&T has repeatedly said that we don't have to worry about the cap until the usage meter starts working.

9 of 11 (11,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2014 10:15:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

I asked them the same thing.  For 2 months I was able to see my monthly usage.  The last month it was available, we had used 133 gb (we don't have cable, so most of our TV viewing is streaming).  How convenient that as soon as I get close, the monitoring goes away!

150 gb may seem like a lot, but when you stream a good chunk of your TV, combined with 4 tablets in the house, it adds up fast

I asked them the same thing.  For 2 months I was able to see my monthly usage.  The last month it was available, we had used 133 gb (we don't have cable, so most of our TV viewing is streaming).  How convenient that as soon as I get close, the monitoring goes away!

150 gb may seem like a lot, but when you stream a good chunk of your TV, combined with 4 tablets in the house, it adds up fast

10 of 11 (10,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2014 11:33:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Soxfan63 wrote:

Soxfan, if you are a DSL customer, then I'd direct you to the appropriate forum to discuss the issues with the DSL meter.  If you're a U-verse HSI customer, there is no working meter, but you also don't need one.

Soxfan63 wrote:

Soxfan, if you are a DSL customer, then I'd direct you to the appropriate forum to discuss the issues with the DSL meter.  If you're a U-verse HSI customer, there is no working meter, but you also don't need one.

11 of 11 (10,958 Views)