Need help connecting your router?
dharris001's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, February 16th, 2014 8:35 AM

Connecting a desktop to the internet

Hey there,

I recently had ATT-Uverse installed in my apartment. The wireless works great. However, when trying to set up my desktop in the other room, I noticed that there is no internet connection coming through the ethernet port. I can only get a connection if I plug into the router directly, which is in a different room. Is there anyway to get wired internet in my apartment or do I need to buy a wireless adapter?

Thanks for the advice!

Drew

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

You might want to look at something like this: http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990047&q_sku=sku3950307&q_manufacturer=&q_model=.  It would appear that the plug you have at the computer is not connected to the AT&T router.  If you can find the other end in maybe a wiring closet and if that is where the AT&T router is then you could patch it and activate it.  If not you can use the item above. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

dharris001 - BB has good suggestions.

Checking out the wiring can be the least expensive, but very difficult. Or, if you need an expert. it can be the most expensive. Can you find any other visible indication of the wiring? Or, can the landlord provide info?

I think the least expensive of the choices that include spending money would be a USB wireless adapter. You can get one for less than &10. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb%20wi-fi%20adapter

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

For what it's worth my AT&T tech made my Internet connection to my desktop, about 50 feet away from the AT&TGateway (router) with a D-Link RangeBooster N USB Adapter. A little device about 2 inches tall and a quarter inch wide that plugs into any open USB port on your computer. You can pick them up at larger electronic stores like Fry's, maybe a larger BestBuy, etc. or get from many online places. Around $15.

For Internet, they work great. I went with the U300 package, and 18 bmps.

For streaming, I haven't decided how effective they are yet, still testing. Another way I'm considering for about $50 is getting a pair of electrial wire WiFi adapters. You plug one into one of the Gateway's Ethernet ports, and into a nearby electrical outlet, the other near your device, in your case computer. Done. This is a different brand of what BB suggested. Both use your house's already existing electrical wiring to complete the connection.

I've asked elsewhere in this forum if anyone has had success with this method, no response yet.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks everyone,

You all had good solutions. I checked my wire box and couldn't make much of it. The router is set up in my living room, so that wasn't much help anyway. In the end I made a trip to Best Buy and got one of their Belkin USB wifi adapters on sale. I think this'll work just fine 🙂

Thanks again!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.