Posted Oct 19, 2012
1:43:55 PM
Change WiFi Settings on 2-Wire

I'm in the pre-purchase learning phase of U-verse so there are fewer surprises (i.e., panic attacks) when I'm trying to convert over my in-house network. I currently have a Linksys router off of a cable modem, with a couple of hard-wired PCs and wireless to numerous devices around the house (printers, smartphones, tablets, etc.).

I've already read a couple of articles here on turning my router into a WAP, which will be a big help to cover some issues.

My question here is if I'll be able to log into the RGW (I guess the jargon around here is the "2-wire") and change the SSID and WPA password to match my existing network. I have to assume (hope?) that this is possible. I would really hate to have to reconfigure all my wireless devices -- especially the ones without a built-in UIF!

I'm in the pre-purchase learning phase of U-verse so there are fewer surprises (i.e., panic attacks) when I'm trying to convert over my in-house network. I currently have a Linksys router off of a cable modem, with a couple of hard-wired PCs and wireless to numerous devices around the house (printers, smartphones, tablets, etc.).

I've already read a couple of articles here on turning my router into a WAP, which will be a big help to cover some issues.

My question here is if I'll be able to log into the RGW (I guess the jargon around here is the "2-wire") and change the SSID and WPA password to match my existing network. I have to assume (hope?) that this is possible. I would really hate to have to reconfigure all my wireless devices -- especially the ones without a built-in UIF!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 19, 2012 6:03:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by GeekBoy on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:06:13 PM

My 2-Wire RG (U-Verse Voice & HSI only) allows me to specify the first and last DHCP address for it to use.  IIRC, I have the 3600 model RG.

FYI, Recent changes in teh AT&T "back end" don't wnat you to use 10.x.x.x addresses for your home network.

Also, for your first question, yes, I have done similar setting my 2-Wire RG to use the same SSID & WPA2 pass-phrase as my older LinkSys router, so I can connect to either device without having to make any changes to my computers/preipherals/etc.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Change WiFi Settings on 2-Wire

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 19, 2012 1:59:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Here is the address for access to do the setup you are asking about - http://192.168.1.254/

The password you will need will be found on a label on the side of the RG.

Here is the address for access to do the setup you are asking about - http://192.168.1.254/

The password you will need will be found on a label on the side of the RG.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Change WiFi Settings on 2-Wire

2 of 6 (8,014 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 2:20:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks! Do you happen to know the range of IP addresses that are used by DHCP? My existing network uses the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, but I do have a couple of static IP addresses in there that might conflict.

Thanks! Do you happen to know the range of IP addresses that are used by DHCP? My existing network uses the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, but I do have a couple of static IP addresses in there that might conflict.

3 of 6 (8,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 2:25:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
rochrunner - Sorry, No. I am sure someone else will be able to say.
rochrunner - Sorry, No. I am sure someone else will be able to say.

4 of 6 (8,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 2:31:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

rochrunner wrote:

See the image below:

DHCP Address Range.png

rochrunner wrote:

See the image below:

DHCP Address Range.png

5 of 6 (7,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 19, 2012 6:03:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by GeekBoy on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:06:13 PM

My 2-Wire RG (U-Verse Voice & HSI only) allows me to specify the first and last DHCP address for it to use.  IIRC, I have the 3600 model RG.

FYI, Recent changes in teh AT&T "back end" don't wnat you to use 10.x.x.x addresses for your home network.

Also, for your first question, yes, I have done similar setting my 2-Wire RG to use the same SSID & WPA2 pass-phrase as my older LinkSys router, so I can connect to either device without having to make any changes to my computers/preipherals/etc.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (7,956 Views)
Solution