Need help connecting your router?
rochrunner's profile

Mentor

• 

98 Messages

Friday, October 19th, 2012 8:43 PM

Change WiFi Settings on 2-Wire

I'm in the pre-purchase learning phase of U-verse so there are fewer surprises (i.e., panic attacks) when I'm trying to convert over my in-house network. I currently have a Linksys router off of a cable modem, with a couple of hard-wired PCs and wireless to numerous devices around the house (printers, smartphones, tablets, etc.).

I've already read a couple of articles here on turning my router into a WAP, which will be a big help to cover some issues.

My question here is if I'll be able to log into the RGW (I guess the jargon around here is the "2-wire") and change the SSID and WPA password to match my existing network. I have to assume (hope?) that this is possible. I would really hate to have to reconfigure all my wireless devices -- especially the ones without a built-in UIF!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Here is the address for access to do the setup you are asking about - http://192.168.1.254/

The password you will need will be found on a label on the side of the RG.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

My 2-Wire RG (U-Verse Voice & HSI only) allows me to specify the first and last DHCP address for it to use.  IIRC, I have the 3600 model RG.

FYI, Recent changes in teh AT&T "back end" don't wnat you to use 10.x.x.x addresses for your home network.

Also, for your first question, yes, I have done similar setting my 2-Wire RG to use the same SSID & WPA2 pass-phrase as my older LinkSys router, so I can connect to either device without having to make any changes to my computers/preipherals/etc.

Mentor

• 

98 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks! Do you happen to know the range of IP addresses that are used by DHCP? My existing network uses the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, but I do have a couple of static IP addresses in there that might conflict.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

rochrunner - Sorry, No. I am sure someone else will be able to say.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@rochrunner wrote:

Thanks! Do you happen to know the range of IP addresses that are used by DHCP? My existing network uses the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, but I do have a couple of static IP addresses in there that might conflict.

See the image below:

DHCP Address Range.png

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.