Need help connecting your router?
bud22923's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, April 14th, 2014 12:18 PM

At&t U Verse Motorola NVG 510

I have a At&t U Verse Motorola NVG 510 and I have been having problems with very low speed on the WiFi I have tried 2 of my laptops on it and I am only getting a speed of 46Mbs so I unplugged the modem and left it off for at least 5 min then plugged it back in let it boot up same thing is happening so I plugged into it with a Ethernet cable then checked it on att speed test it was fast I was getting 2.00Mbs every time I use it WiFi it is very slow I can't even watch anything on net flix so I am wanting to know has anyone out there had this problem and what to do to fix it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@bud22923@  wrote:

I have a At&t U Verse Motorola NVG 510 and I have been having problems with very low speed on the WiFi I have tried 2 of my laptops on it and I am only getting a speed of 46Mbs so I unplugged the modem and left it off for at least 5 min then plugged it back in let it boot up same thing is happening so I plugged into it with a Ethernet cable then checked it on att speed test it was fast I was getting 2.00Mbs every time I use it WiFi it is very slow I can't even watch anything on net flix so I am wanting to know has anyone out there had this problem and what to do to fix it.

Well, first of all, when you talk about wireless, it really boils down to quality of service, because, as you can see, your wireless connection is 23 times faster than your actual internet speed. Then again, connect speed to your modem/router seldom represents actual throughput, because when you actually transfer data over that connection, your modem/router will automatically slow the connection to the put that the error rate matchs a certain level. If you have a high error rate then the modem will keep slowing the transfer rate.

The two most common things that can cause poor quality wireless service are noise on your electrical system (old refrigerators, bad flourescent light ballasts, failing HID yard lights, etc) where you have the modem/router plugged in, and over-utilized wireless channels caused by numerous other wireless networks in your area.

Now, the electrical noise you might be able to solve by simply plugging your modem/router into a different wall outlet or buying a quality surge strip or power conditioner for $45 - $60 (which is still cheaper than a new refrigerator or an electrcician to change lighting fixtures).

The over-utilized airwaves can be a little trickier. Your wireless networking works over airwaves and kind of like old fashioned TV, it uses a limited number of "channels" to organize transmissions. If there are a lot of wireless networks near by, they basically have to fight over those limited number of channels. The modem/routers are supposed to negotiate which channel to use by automatically switching to a less busy channel if quality drops below a certain level. If there are a lot of other wireless networks nearby, your, modem router will be doing a lot of channel changing. Every time your modem/router changes channels, your connected devices have to as well, and renegotiate the connection. That can slow things down. If all the channels are being utilized, then whatever channel your modem/router switches to it must share with other wireless networks within range. You can download and install a program like Netsurveyor ( https://nutsaboutnets-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/NetSurveyor-Setup.exe ). It will show you all the wireless networks in range and what channels they are using. With that, you can kind try to find an un-utilized channel and set your modem/router to always use that channel.

Most wireless operates at 2.4GHz frequency. There a at least a couple of household appliances that can cause interference in that range, one being microwave ovens and old cordless home phones.

As well, if you find your wireless "neighborhood" is extremely crowded to the point where you can not find any clear channels in the 2.4GHZ frequency, you can always get a wireless access point that uses the 5GHz frequecy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Ther are a few appli

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Computer Joe

Thanks for the help that was the problem I ran that program you sent me and checked found that Channel 8 was a channel no one was using did that it and it fixed the problem 2.85Mbs on wifi works good.

I thought it was our phone line that was bad so the other day I ran all new sheilded line direct to the modem from the phone box but it still did it oh well it needed to be done I think if I would of left that old unshielded  line in there it would of started problems in time.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@bud22923@  wrote:

Computer Joe

Thanks for the help that was the problem I ran that program you sent me and checked found that Channel 8 was a channel no one was using did that it and it fixed the problem 2.85Mbs on wifi works good.

I thought it was our phone line that was bad so the other day I ran all new sheilded line direct to the modem from the phone box but it still did it oh well it needed to be done I think if I would of left that old unshielded  line in there it would of started problems in time.

Anyway thanks for the help.

No problem, glad to be of assistance.

Stop back if you have any other questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello Computer Joe,

I am experiencing a similar issue, my wifi will work fin on my phone when im in the same room with the modem, but when I go to my room (other side of the house) it goes very slowly, and my bluray player will not connect at all. This has happened a couple of different times, then all of a sudden will work again just fine. I downloaded the program you suggested, but it didn't work, but i just realized I downloaded it on my desktop and it should've probably been DL to laptop? Its so frustrating! I don't want to call AT&T out here to fix it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.