Need help connecting your router?
michael_3's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 6:03 PM

Add netgear n router to my uverse system

I Would lie to add my Netgear Router Tom my Uverse Sys to take advantage of a faster wireless connection.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

This from Computer Joe should help:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, reboot the "internal" router, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0).

My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables.

Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone 5

Former Employee

• 

549 Messages

11 years ago

Hi michael

Just checking up on your post. Were you able to connect your Netgear router to your U-verse gateway using the information that mibrnsurg posted? Hopefully everything is working alright but if you need any additional assistance, feel free to let us know and we'll be glad to help you. Thank you Smiley Happy

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Having an issue with the netgear router, have to resolve that before I can try the fix. Thanks for checking up on me ill keep you posted after I get the router on line

Mike, Sent from my iPad.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm still an "intermediate" re wireless terms and protocols; therefore, please clarify a few things so I can use Netgear wireless router with this lousy ATT modem/router:

1) Should I connect the Netgear router directly to another computer (and NOT the ATT modem/router) to set it to use DHCP for the WAN address?

2) When you say "RG", are you referring to the ATT modem/router?

3) What does "STB" stand for?

Thanks very much!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I know this is old but it's killing me..

RG= Residential Gateway

STB= Set Top Box.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.