Need help connecting your router?
anking3000's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, October 18th, 2013 1:10 AM

3801HGV setup with my own router

I'm wondering what is the best way to setup my 3801HGV ATT router along with my Amped Wireless RG10000 router and Amped Wireless S10000 repeater.  I previously had cable Internet with the Amped Wireless router and repeater.  I want to keep them because of the good range that they get.  Right now I have the Amped router plugged into the 3801HGV.  I configured the 3801hgv so it recognizes the amped router.  I can now wirelessly connect to all three.

Is this the best way to configure these routers?

Should my wired connections be from the 3801HGV or the Amped router?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi anking3000,

It sounds like you have everything setup perfectly. With the wireless, you want to use as few wireless networks as possible that can cover the area that you need, because otherwise, they conflict with each other. So you want the 3801HGV to connect to the Amped Wireless RG10000 and use the Amped Wireless S10000 repeated to extend the wireless of the Amped Wireless RG10000. So the best thing to do is disable the wireless off the 3801HGV. You may not have to, because the 3801HGV operates at the 2.4GHz frequency but the Amped may operate at 5GHz so there may be no issue.

With the wired connections, the best way to do it is to have any U-verse equipment, such as the TV receivers, connected directly to the 3801HGV and all other internet equipment connected to the Amped router.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

David,

Thank you! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have a simimalr situation and am upgrading fromthe DSL 2wire to this 2 wire   I use my apple timecapsule as the router and had to trun off the router feature in the old 2 wire    willl I have to do that again?   if so how do I do it   it was a long process of calls and waiting via att to do it and they charged me for the call( very unfair)   but I will likely need to do the same with this new 2 wire right??

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi r33796,

You are possibly correct. Depending on how you are using your apple time capsule, you will probably need to put your new 2wire in a bridge mode so the routing is handled by your apple time capsule.

If it is just for basic internet browsing on the computer, it should still work without having to do this.

If you have additional settings on your apple time capsule to control your routing for various tasks, then it is probably needed. 

To do so:

1. With a computer directly connected to the U-verse router, go to http://192.168.1.254
  2. Click on Settings
  3. Click on Firewall
  4. Click on Applications, Pinholes and DMZ (it may ask you for a system password, this is located on your U-verse router)
  5. From the list of devices under Select a computer, choose your apple time capsule. If you do not see it, you will need to check the connections on your apple time capsule, and be sure you have it setup correctly to work with our U-verse router. You may need to change it DHCP.
  6. Click on the option at the bottom that states "Allow all applications (DMZplus mode)"
  7. Click Save
  8. Reboot your apple time capsule.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

You cannot turnn off the DHCP on the 2wire router.  Use your AirPort Utility to disable set it up in bridged mode.  Leaving our router to handle DHCP.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have a new ASUS rt-66U 802.11AC router that I'd like to use, but the 3801 manual shows configuration screens that I do not ssee when I select the Link Configuration tab.  How do I configure the 3801 to use this router?  The manual speaks of putting the 3801 in the bridge mode but I don't see how to do it.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had quite a bit of issues with dmzplus and conflicting ips. I did a detailed blog post on the fix I came up with.

Timshacks.blogger.com
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.