Need help connecting your router?
mzimmers's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 3:43 AM

2Wire modem giving me wrong IP address

Hi -

I don't know what I did to cause this, but one of the systems on my home network is no longer getting the 192.168.1.NNN IP address. Instead, I'm getting assigned my public IP address, which causes problems getting to this system from other machines on the network.

Any ideas? I've rebooted with no change in results. Thanks for any ideas.

EDIT: the system in question is a Mac, running 10.6. It's worked with 2Wire for ages.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

IPtables is used by linux systems such as MacOS for how it handles firewall, etc. Now the other thing I can think of is that computer got placed into DMZPlus on the 2wire device.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

What modem do you have?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

What do you mean Public IP address? You are not using a Time Capsule behind the 2Wire per chance, are you?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

2Wire modem.

By "public IP," I mean that it's the broadband IP address (in my case, 75.NN.NN.NN), not a 192.168.1.NN.

No, no time capsule.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Then it may be a issue with the IPTables on your computer, not with the router. What 2wire modem do you have?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

The model on the front says "3801HGV."

What/where are the IP tables? That's not a term I'm familiar with.

And, again, all the other devices on the network have "good" addresses.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

It was in fact in DMZPlus. I just changed that (hopefully I can live with that change) and renewed my DHCP lease, and I now have a good address! Thank you so much.

A couple of post-mortem questions, please:

1. why does DMZPlus affect this?

2. why didn't it affect the other systems on the network?

3. is returning to maximum protection going to affect my ability to file share within the network, or does it just effect traffic outside my LAN?

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

1. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the "Allow individual applications" feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Note: Once DMZplus mode is selected and you click save, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers. The new IP address you aquire is the RG's public IP address so it can be seen to the outside world.

2. Other systems simply have a 192.168.1.x IP (unless otherwise specified) and communicate with the RG as normal.

3. It will not affect your sharing speeds on the LAN, simply from the LAN to the WAN and vice-versa.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

dmzplus basicilly opens the firewall for a device.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Hi, bauwls...thanks for the reply. I think a minor correction is in order: on the Mac, I don't have to reboot; I can just renew the DHCP lease (at least that worked this time).

So, if no computer has DMZplus enabled, does that mean that the 2Wire does all the routing itself? I'm still trying to grasp the concept/benefit here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.