free data how

Highlighted
Contributor

free data how

how can I get free data on my galaxy express 3
Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

Re: free data how

@kokatoliver What makes you think you can get free data?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
ACE - Expert

If you are a Directv or U-Verse TV customer and have postpaid service, you can stream video using either the Directv or U-Verse app without using your data. There is also something called sponsored data which allows you to use certain apps or browse certain websites without using data but you are required to view advertisements. I'm not sure how you sign up for or enable that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 13
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by kokatoliver
‎06-04-2017 4:09 AM

Data free TV is automatic when using qualified apps, like u-verse, direcTV, or DirecTv NOW.   The "free data" appears as 'sponsored data' on your bill and is not deducted from your data allowance.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 13
Tutor

I tried asking directv today to make sure I wasn’t using my data when streaming. At first they told me there is no such thing, then they told me you had to have an unlimited att data plan and bundle directv and att together in order to have data free tv. I feel that answer is incorrect. How do you know if you are eligible? When I open the app it tells me- welcome to data free tv. I assume that means I’m eligible. I’m an att wireless and directv customer. Thanks.

Message 5 of 13
ACE - Sage

@Qbruce

If you are a postpaid ATT mobility customer, about 95% of your Direct TV, Uverse or DirecTV NOW app use is ‘sponsored data’.  

The reply from the TV side seems to be common, and wrong.  Don’t know what they are being taught, but it does not require the unlimited data plan.  I stream DirecTV NOW on mobile on my 20 gig Mobile Share Plan.  

Keep an eye on the data to make sure it is showing as sponsored.   After a year without a problem the data free code was changed and data was charged on my account.  I put in a ticket so they will fix it.  We will see what happens next week.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 13
Tutor

@lizdance40

Thank you! I looked at my data last night after streaming on the att network. It showed up as subscribed data which led me to believe he was incorrect in his answer. We are traveling and I just wanted to verify we could stream without going over our data plan.

Have a great thanksgiving.

Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

I can guarantee you the rep was wrong. I stream from the Directv app often and I have a Mobile Share Value plan and data has always been free. It is even data free streaming on a WiFi only ipad connected to my iPhone hotspot.

Message 8 of 13
Tutor

Awesome! Thank you! That’s exactly what we are currently doing.

He did not seem to understand even after I copied and paste the online information for data free tv. It just reads select/eligible plans, so we wanted to make sure we had an ‘eligible’ plan w out going over our data and finding out after the fact. I checked my att data after streaming and see sponsored data, so I should be good to go. They need more training classes Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
Tutor

3A808F7F-A577-4858-8140-F29BBED3D1D9.jpeg

Message 10 of 13
Tutor

Message 11 of 13
Tutor

Do you think Data Free TV works on the IPad Uverse app if I stream internet with IPhone Wireless Hotspot?

Message 12 of 13
Tutor

On the Uverse app? That looks like a separate monthly subscription, but I don’t have an answer.
Data free tv is advertised in the Directv app for directv customers who are also att customers.
Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support