The Samsung Galaxy S24
orionreplay's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, November 15th, 2014 4:55 PM

Updated to 4.4.4 (Samsung S4) and Email app issues

Last night I updated to 4.4.4.  This morning I was looking at recently received email using the default Email application and noticed that messages I'd delete, were not leaving the screen even after being informed the message was deleted. 

The Email app is then locked and no amount of screen pressing clears this status.

I am then told, "Email isn't responding.  Do you want to close it?"

Meanwhile, even after 'closed', Email becomes the number One abuser of my battery at over 30%.  It takes my S4 from 100% to 78% in less than 30 minutes.  The phone is also warm to touch.

The S4 is really working hard at the Email application and I am unsure what to do about this.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Ambassador

• 

518 Messages

9 years ago

Hi orionreplay, 

Thanks for reaching out. We want to apologize for the negative experience. It looks like this begun after a recent software update. Since this started have you attempted any trouble shooting steps? If not here are something you can try. 

A soft reset. Power off the device, remove the battery for two minutes, and replace it. Power back on. After you complete this try testing the email application again. If this does not work try running and testing the device in safe mode for 2-4 hours here are the steps: http://bit.ly/1e7JhPb. Is it work in safe mode the a third party app may be the most likelt cause. Try uninstalling or updating all of your existing application until it starts working. Let us know if these help. ^Jake 

Samsung Support

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Same problem.  Working fine before update, now very frustrating getting slow response and blank screens.  Fix it AT&T!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Same problem. AT&T apparently pushed update and now having significant email issues.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

9 years ago

Have you tried a forced shut-down of the app?

• Go to Settings
  • Scroll down and choose Application manager
  • Slide to the left until you get to RUNNING
  • Scroll down until you find the offending mail app and tap
  • Tap the STOP button for each service for that app

• Go to Settings
  • Scroll down and choose Application manager
  • Slide to the left until you get to ALL
  • Scroll down until you find the offending mail app and tap
  • Tap the FORCE STOP button(s) for the app

• Hold the power button until the OPTIONS menu comes up and tap RESTART

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

try unistalling your email addy and re adding it.  The S3 had this problem and that was the fix.  Also do a battery pull and restart the phone.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

I'm having the same email problem after the update.  When I go to the app in the app manager, all my options are grayed out, so I can't force it to stop.  Pretty frustrating.  ATT needs to fix this.  A bug like this should have been pretty obvious as work email is a pretty common function, probably just behind making phone calls.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I had the same email problems- the Gmail app worked with my Gmail, but the Email app kept crashing with my corporate account.  I called AT&T and they had me do a few things, but none worked.

I followed the advice above and now all is working:

1. Deleted all of my email accounts.

2. Shutdown

3. Removed the battery, and waited about a minute.

4. Started phone, added my Gmail and corporate account email.

All is working now!

Thanks to all posters above for their advice.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Did you lose any of your emails when you deleted your account and added it back?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

That's a dead link to the Samsung page.  Otherwise, thanks for the help.  I'll give those a try.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

the other fix is that gmail 5.0 will work with corp accounts.  Lollipop is forcing this feature.  It really does work well.  I have diff tones for diff accounts works like a top

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.