Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Software Update Failed!

Software Update Failed!

I just ran the Software Update feature on my Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) It downloaded the update with no problems, but when the device restarted and tried to Install the update it displayed a Message stating the update failed and to try again later. Later is apparently 24 hrs from about 9:45 pm cst
Message 1 of 111
Mentor

Re: Software Update Failed!

The same thing keeps happening to me. My Galaxy S5 (sm g900a) is unrooted, running stock firmware. I've tried this update (August 28, Baseband version: G900AUCU2ANG3) 3 times using the date rollup trick to bypass the 24 hour update wait. The update will completely download but when the device reboots to initiate the install, it keeps failing at 31%.  I have tried using Kies to update but It keeps telling me that the update from May, (Baseband version: G900AUCU2AND3) is the most current firmware version and doesn't give me the option to check for an update.  This is AT&T's fault, not Samsung to not let us update via Kies.  Although this is only a bug fix update, It would be nice to have a faster, more stable device before the next major Android version update.  Im hoping that someone from AT&T or Samsung will reply to this post to give us a solution to this problem or at least to acknoledge there is an issue.

Message 2 of 111

I didn't know about the date roll up option so that helps...

I didn't know about the date roll up option so that helps a lot with the 24hr wait nonsense! Thanks! but I called Samsung today about the issue. They at first told me that there was no update available for my device and after I got a little annoyed and told them about the bug fix they told me that I would have to go to best buy to the Samsung support office and have my phone flashed.... to me that sounds a little harsh giving the fact I haven't had the phone a month yet... Flash=Loss of Everything not backed up!!! Not something I'm really looking forward to!
Message 3 of 111
Scholar

Re: I didn't know about the date roll up option so that helps...

@mswilke6232 wrote:
I didn't know about the date roll up option so that helps a lot with the 24hr wait nonsense! Thanks! but I called Samsung today about the issue. They at first told me that there was no update available for my device and after I got a little annoyed and told them about the bug fix they told me that I would have to go to best buy to the Samsung support office and have my phone flashed.... to me that sounds a little harsh giving the fact I haven't had the phone a month yet... Flash=Loss of Everything not backed up!!! Not something I'm really looking forward to!

You can back up to your PC using Kies before going down to Best Buy, that way you don't lose everything. Plus, Google saves most of your apps for you (if you have it set up like that), and will download the apps automatically when you connect to Google again.

I had this same problem with my S3, which wasn't even six months old. I decided I wanted a new phone anyway, so instead of getting it flashed, I got the S5 Active. As for changing the clock because of the 24 hour wait, if it doesn't work, it will make you wait even longer to try again, I remember having to wait up to a week once.

Message 4 of 111

These were all great tips, but I am still having the prob...

These were all great tips, but I am still having the problem with my Galaxy S5 not updating! A quick recap of my problem... I have backed up my S5 and I'm running the S/W Update on the device, the update downloads completely and restarts the device to install it, the update reaches 31% (approximately) and fails. The phone starts up and shortly afterwards the S/W update displays a message "The Update was interrupted, and could not install"....
Message 5 of 111
Mentor

Re: These were all great tips, but I am still having the prob...

I keep having the same issue.  I've been trying for over a week now and no luck.  My phone is stock and unrooted.  I don't think a factory reset before the update will solve the problem because I recently received a warranty replacement and I'm not going to Best Buy to flash the update because the closest one is over 45 minutes away.  It's just frustrating that the same thing keeps happening. I'm sure we're not the only ones with this issue.  AT&T or Samsung needs to acknowledge that theres an issue with this update.

Message 6 of 111
Mentor

Also AT&T, you should let us update our devices through Kies and maybe there wouldn't be so many issues with these updates!

Message 7 of 111
Community Manager

Re: Software Update Failed!

Hi guys,

I'm very sorry you're having some issues with your devices. Our team will be happy to help you with whatever we can! You can send us a private message by using the link below, just click on ATTCustomerCare to create a new message. Please include your full name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 111
Tutor

Agreed. Kies3 states that the original software on the phone is the latest and when I try Software Update on the phone, I get a message that says no software update is available for my device.

Message 9 of 111

I have the same issue, stock , unrooted. 31 or 32% then fails, reboots and states it failed to initialize.

a. removed encryption > same issues

b. wiped cache partition > same issues

c. removed password > same issues

d. restored apps to defalt settings > same

e. factory reset > same

this is dejavu from my galaxy note. This is a waste of 3 hours of my time so far. Kies does not show the OTA update.

Message 10 of 111

I called AT&T tech support and after and hour-and-a-half...

I called AT&T tech support and after and hour-and-a-half with them they call Samsung, Samsung told her that Flashing my phone at best buy "MIGHT" fix the issue but they do not show the OTA update in thier change log and therefore can't guarantee a fix, However, they [Samsung] are pushing out the android 4.4 update to the At&t S5's in the Next two weeks and the update has been tested with the Lock screen and has no issues thus far....... With that being said, at least we now we are getting the 4.4 update as for the timing though we shall see!
Message 11 of 111

Re: I called AT&T tech support and after and hour-and-a-half...

Ugg this is extremely frustrating for me. ATT techs twice before purchasing the S5 promised me they do not do this and that the galaxy note issue I had was a fluke. I am oncall for a hospital, to be compliant with federal HIPAA regulations you need to encrypt your device. Having an encrypted device means A MANDATORY REBOOT, that will leave you with a failed install at the pre-o/s password prompt screen.

This means each day without permission the update fails to install, reboots and waits for you to boot up the o/s at the password screen meaning you will miss your pages.

Message 12 of 111

no response yet to the support ticket or forumSmiley Sad

Message 13 of 111
Community Manager

Hello @xxjergerxx 

We checked your case and see that one of our managers sent you an email yesterday, just wanted to make sure you got it. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 111

Hello @ATTDmitriyCM I too have a case on file with Tech s...

Hello @ATTDmitriyCM I too have a case on file with Tech support one of your agents/managers were supposed to contact me yesterday with about my support ticket. Needless to say they did not! I had my Galaxy S5 flashed at bestbuy and as Samsung advised me before after, and during the flash possess the S/W update still says there is an update, the update still downloads 100%, however when the device restarts to Boot Recovery to INSTALL the update it reaches 32% a message pops up under the AT&T World logo (Update Failed) the device starts up and shortly after everything boots S/W update launches with a message that says "The Update was interrupted and could not be installed. Please try again later." This is getting very frustrating giving the fact that this update is to fix several issues the S5 is having with Android 4.3 and with having now found out that there is another S/W update from Samsung in the next coming weeks with the 4.4 update! How do we know whether or not we will be able to install that?
Message 15 of 111
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support