For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Leann1's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, May 26th, 2019 8:37 PM

Samsung Galaxy S9+ won't send group messages

I've always been able to send group messages (2-4 people) and within the last two weeks, they won't send.  I get an orange exclamation mark and if I click on it to resend, it still won't do it. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Leann1 Try "clearing the App Cache" for whichever Messaging App you're using (probably Samsung Messages).

Can you give a bit more detailed description, on what happens, when you try to send to those threads (if clearing the cache doesn't help)?

There are some more "involved" ways to get this working, with a more likely "success rate", like using "SMS Backup and Restore", to save all your SMS/MMS  and de-installing (i.e. rolling-back in the case of Samsung Messages. Then rolling-forward (re-installing the Messaging App updates), after restarting the phone and app) the Messaging App, and then restoring your messages.  This can be a little "tricky" though, you want to be SURE you have your messages backed up, BEFORE the roll-back (to avoid losing all your message threads, permanently). 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Leann1 Try disabling WiFi, and sending.

If that doesn't work, try disabling the "Advanced Messaging" Setting, and re-sending.  

Since you have small (<=10) groups, you should be able to send without the need for Advanced Messaging, or at least without the need for the ">10 recipients" part of it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. However, neither one worked. Any other
ideas?
Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you SO much! That worked!!!

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Leann1 Great, glad to hear, which one finally fixed it, flushing the System Cache, or ?  
I marked it as "Solved", just want to make sure I "tag it" correctly, so others can find the solution.

Thanks for letting me know!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

The clear cache worked. Thanks again!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I have the same problem - how do you clear the cache?

Thanks much!

Jeannie

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Jmfitz 

- Go to "Settings->Apps & Notifications

- If you're on Android 9.x, it should have the "recently opened apps" near the top, which would include your "Messages" app. If not, scroll down to "Messages", in the list, and select it (ether way, select it).

- Click on "Storage" in the next list of items (specifics about the Messages app).

- Click on the big "Clear Cache" button.

Now, restart your phone, and re-open the Message app, and see if this fixes it.  I'm not 100% sure if @Leann1 cleared just the app-cache, or the system-wide-cache, as I had mentioned the 2nd one, as a "backup", since it can clear some other "deep rooted" cache entries (sort of hard to explain the details, here).

I can probably find a pictorial step-by-step on the system cache, if necessary, but try the app-cache, first, and let us know...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Go to Samsung messages, then app settings, then storage, then clear cache
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.