The Samsung Galaxy S24
Lilybell2's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

Friday, February 6th, 2015 6:57 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

My Galaxy S5 has had no connectivity issues at all.  This morning I installed the 4.4.4 update and immediately began having wi-fi connectivity issues.  The S5 keeps dropping the connection and then reconnecting.  This is constant. 

Obviously, the signal was strong enough and constant enough that I was able to download the 487 MB update with no connectivity problems whatsoever.  Now, however, when I check Wi-Fi networks, I note the S5 is constantly scanning.  Is that normal? 

None of the other devices using Wi-Fi on this home network are experiencing connectivity issues, including a netbook, a tablet, and a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  According to the S5, the signal is "strong," yet it continues to drop and then reconnect. 

I have tried the S5 on other networks and the same problem exists.  Others are experiencing the same problem after installing 4.4.4.  Unfortunately, a number of us posted in an earlier topic, which had been marked solved; therefore, our posts may likely go unnoticed. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Galaxy-S5-WiFi-keeps-dropping-and-reconnecting/m-p/4190686#M2825

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hello! @Lilybell2 Thanks for posting your connectivity concerns. Sorry to hear you’re having issues with the Wi-Fi connectivity.

AT&T is working with Samsung to identify a root cause and fix for this issue.

The issue appears related to Smart Switch; you'll want to attempt to clear this by unchecking the Smart network switch for now.

Go to Settings>Wi-Fi>Smart network switch

Remove the mark in the checkbox.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Charise

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Wiping the cache partition fixed the disconnecting/reconnecting problem for me as well.  I did this a couple of days ago, and  then re-enabled the Smart network switch, and carefully monitored the phone's connection afterwards just to be sure the connectivity issue was indeed resolved.  It's been working just fine and hasn't dropped the connection even once.

For those who are not familiar with the process, there's a video that demonstrates the procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFa8MRo7B4

It's easy and fast, and does not delete your data or alter your settings. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am having the exact same issue with my s5 after installing the update last night. I have to turn off wifi and can't use some of my apps. The 4G network is obviously not going to work as a permanent solution for me.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I am having the same issue..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm having the same issue, losing my WiFi connection repeatedly and severe battery drain. However, I just checked and my S5 is still running 4.4.2, so it's not just the latest OS. Turning off smart switching at least seems to be keeping the connection active, but I don't want to lose the ability to automatically connect to other networks. I was forced to ditch my S4 because of a software glitch. If this happens again, Bye-bye Samsung and possibly (gulp) Android.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm having the same issue. I contacted AT&T and they are trying to tell me that they are not aware of this glitch. Y please contact AT&T so that they are able to troubleshoot this problem and develop a fix for it. If we do not call they will not fix it

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I too have been having this issue. I restarted my phone, I've restarted the router, but it keeps dropping the wifi connection. It says "Ready to Connect when network quality imporves".  I did not have this issue with the previous OS.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm having the same problem too!!  Plus there is more of lag when opening apps. I was having the wifi connectivity issue at work and home and it only started after I did the update. I should have left well enough alone... I turned off the Smart Switch and that DOES seem to keep the connection but this is not a good solution!  I'll be calling AT&T this weekend to complain... 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am also having this same issue. Started immediately after the update. and I do mean immediate.

Please do not group this glitch as individual to one person this is happening to a lot of people and a lot of people I know personally. 

Please correct!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Also having the exact same issue. However, I don't think I've yet upgraded to 4.4.4, my About Device still shows 4.4.2 But this problem started yesterday when I woke up, up until now it had never happened before, and the only fix was to turn off smart network switching.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.