The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Chirag03, I definitely have that delay. 

What does everyones battery stats look like? If this is a network issue, it would explain why my "cell standby" is always the second highest %. Cell Standby is basically the phone trying to get a good signal. The odd thing is, I have 3-4 bars consistantly and never have any drops. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

My Iphone 3s was doing that so I got the Optimus G for Christmas thinking my phone was getting old. Now the Optimus G is doing the same thing! My Fiance will try to call 6 or 7 times and each time it goes to voice mail. I'm taking my phone to AT&T soon if nothing works. It's very irritating. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

The more I try to troubleshoot this issue, the more I beleive it has something to do with AT&T network and not the phone.

Is someone from AT&T looking into this? Or is someone reading this thread? I am sure there are 'N' number of users who are facing this problem and not complaning. We will need someone from AT&T look into this issue ASAP!

How many of you guys think it can be a phone case issue?

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@chirag03 wrote:

The more I try to troubleshoot this issue, the more I beleive it has something to do with AT&T network and not the phone.

Is someone from AT&T looking into this? Or is someone reading this thread? I am sure there are 'N' number of users who are facing this problem and not complaning. We will need someone from AT&T look into this issue ASAP!

How many of you guys think it can be a phone case issue?

I had called AT&T CS 2-3 times, initially they did network reset on my phone.

But that didn't resolve the problem.

My 2 GS3 (exchanged once), my friend has 2 GS3 with same issue.

So personally I know 4 phones (but GS3) having same issue in same area.

I want to believe it's network issue - something with 4G/LTE.

But if that is the case then there should be 100s (min) of people reporting to AT&T & that doesn't seem to be the case or may be AT&T doesn't CARE ! Why don't you all CALL AT&T & let them know !

http://forums.att.com/t5/Windows-Discussion-and-Support/HTC-8X-not-receiving-incoming-calls/m-p/3385533/highlight/true#M19796

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/HTC-one-X-plus-stops-receiving-calls/td-p/3370861/highlight/true

http://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Not-Receiving-Texts-Until-Later-amp-Missing-Calls/m-p/3231247/highlight/true#M54719

I have opened network ticket in my area - ETA is 01/14.

I am going to threaten them to terminate service !!! Service does't work for single most important purpose of phone !!!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Hello all!

I'm having trouble receiving incoming calls (or even SMS) on my GS3 too, but I can make calls just fine. I got my phone in July 2012 and noticed the issue started late November. So I recently went to the AT&T Device Support to have it checked and they thought my phone was just defective so they replaced it with a brand new one. But no luck, the issue kept happening even on the brand new replacement. What's weird though is that I seem to keep having trouble receiving incoming calls or texts only when I am connected to a Wi-fi network. I thought maybe, my Wi-fi is the culprit but no...whenever it is connected to any W-fi network and the phone has been idled for a few hours, the issue comes back. When I am NOT on Wi-fi, I CAN receive incoming calls/texts just fine. I made that conclusion because I have had my Wi-fi OFF on my phone for a few days and can receive incoming calls/texts, but when I am on Wi-fi, it's a whole another story! I tried software updates, factory resets, nothing works. So now, I have to sacrifice using Wi-fi just so I can't have any trouble receiving phone calls or text messages. I didn't change my SIM card by the way, but even if I did, I don't think it will make any difference since my phone seem to be fully functional over 4G LTE.

Note: I am not using Wi-fi calling...just the "normal" one. If you know what I mean...Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Problem of not receiving phone calls started when I went from an HTC inspire to the HTC one X plus at the end of November. AT&T kept me hanging for over a month saying that they were working on the problem. They opened two separate cases on my phone and no one was able to resolve either one and ended up swapping out my phone for the Samsung galaxy S3. I've had the phone three days and tonight my husband tried to call my phone and it didn't ring and went straight to voicemail. Personally I think the problem is the network and I think someone at AT&T should man up and admit that there's a problem with their network, possibly with LTE. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back to using the HTC inspire so I can receive calls, that's really too bad I love the HTC one X plus and the Samsung galaxy S3 but if they won't redeive calls, what's the use of having the phone.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@ksks wrote:

Problem of not receiving phone calls started when I went from an HTC inspire to the HTC one X plus at the end of November. AT&T kept me hanging for over a month saying that they were working on the problem. They opened two separate cases on my phone and no one was able to resolve either one and ended up swapping out my phone for the Samsung galaxy S3. I've had the phone three days and tonight my husband tried to call my phone and it didn't ring and went straight to voicemail. Personally I think the problem is the network and I think someone at AT&T should man up and admit that there's a problem with their network, possibly with LTE. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back to using the HTC inspire so I can receive calls, that's really too bad I love the HTC one X plus and the Samsung galaxy S3 but if they won't redeive calls, what's the use of having the phone.

So many new phones (GS3, One X+, HTC WP etc.) are having the issue.

Somehow phones are not fully compatible with AT&T LTE, they are not able to switch to non-LTE for incoming call. Is that right assesment?

AT&T knows it!

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Does any body know how to disable LTE on GS3?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Galaxy Note 2 here and same issues.  I have done a warranty exchange thinking it was a phone issue, same issue.  Rather than rebooting, i discovered that putting it in and out of airplane mode would "wake" the phone up and it would start receiving calls again.  (I would also receive all my missed texts at one time, all timestamped at the time I toggled airplane mode).  

Usually, I'm alerted that there is a problem when my phone beeps and says I have a missed call on Google voice.  So, somehow, Google's servers are getting through to my phone, just not AT&T's calls and texts!!!  I don't even get missed call messages.

Portland area just got LTE in November, and unfortunately, I upgraded to the Note 2 in November and I have regretted it ever since.  I have never had this problem before.

I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T on this, and they offered to exchange it again (even though they admittied it was most likley not a phone problem), or for me to add another line at $9.99 a month, buy a different type of phone (of course at my expense), or just live with it.  I responded that I wanted to cancel, and they advised me that there would be an ETF for all three lines on my plan.

So, I either have to fork up close to $900 to leave them (been with them since 1998) or live with a phone that works when it wants.

I do not know what to do.  I feel like an sap for being so loyal to AT&T.  

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@aaronsv wrote:

Galaxy Note 2 here and same issues.  I have done a warranty exchange thinking it was a phone issue, same issue.  Rather than rebooting, i discovered that putting it in and out of airplane mode would "wake" the phone up and it would start receiving calls again.  (I would also receive all my missed texts at one time, all timestamped at the time I toggled airplane mode).  

Usually, I'm alerted that there is a problem when my phone beeps and says I have a missed call on Google voice.  So, somehow, Google's servers are getting through to my phone, just not AT&T's calls and texts!!!  I don't even get missed call messages.

Portland area just got LTE in November, and unfortunately, I upgraded to the Note 2 in November and I have regretted it ever since.  I have never had this problem before.

I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T on this, and they offered to exchange it again (even though they admittied it was most likley not a phone problem), or for me to add another line at $9.99 a month, buy a different type of phone (of course at my expense), or just live with it.  I responded that I wanted to cancel, and they advised me that there would be an ETF for all three lines on my plan.

So, I either have to fork up close to $900 to leave them (been with them since 1998) or live with a phone that works when it wants.

I do not know what to do.  I feel like an sap for being so loyal to AT&T.  

I would call them again & again!

If they can't resolve the issue then obviously ask for phone exchange.

If issue occurs again, take print out of various threads here on ATT forum & cancel the service (without ETF)!

We can't accept the issue (not ours) & do nothing.

I am surprised if there are millions of LTE phones out there, then why hasn't large number of people reported this issue?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Hello..

I am faced with the exact same problem. My phone recieves calls when it feels like. I dont even get a notification that I missed a call.

I did 30 calls back to back to my galaxy S3 from a friends phone and 12 of them vanished into some other dimension - no notification on my phone that I missed those 12 calls. Every now and then, I get the message that I am not accepting any phone calls.

Also I have noticed that when I am dialling out of my galaxy S3, it beeps and cuts off.

I started noticing these issues after upgrading to JB 4.1.1

Have spoken to ATT reps several times.Changed SIM cards. Spoke to device warranty guys and got myself a new phone AND still these issues persists.

I am fed up, and trapped for another 1.5 years under ATT with an extremely unreliable phone. If any one else has these issues, please bring it up to ATT's attention.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.