The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

I assume you mean this:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57558073&postcount=193 I found that the instructions didn’t work on my phone. After hitting "0000", my menu didn’t contain "UMTS". Rather, I found the NV Rebuild by selecting: 2-UE setting & info > 1-setting > 2-system > 3-NV rebuild > 1-protocol, gps, lms nv. Unfortunately this didn't work either. Sorry for the double post. posting from my phone and it submits when you hit enter Even if you want a blank line.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

The ignorance just never ends.  I called ATT to look for an ATT Service Center that could flash my phone back to 4.4.2 version.  They said my local BestBuy Samsung store could do this for me.  Nope, went to the Bestbuy/Samsung store and they said could only flash latest version and could not revert to back level versions.  They said ATT keeps sending customers their way to perform this, but have to tell customers no.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Got stuck into doing the OTA update and went back to 4.4.4 Smiley Sad

Now I will try my luck tmrw and hope that they still have the 4.4.2 software available to reflash. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Backed up with kies and did a factory reset. The gps seemed to work a bit better but still would lose my location occasionally. I then went to best buy and had the Samsung kiosk reset the phone using smart. It is working much better now. I would say it is marginally acceptable. It will still lose the location but now it is infrequent. It still takes a while to get a lock. My wife's s4 performs much better. I also noticed that AT&T released another 4.4.4 update on February 6. The fact that this thread has quieted down may indicate that the issue was addressed.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Wasn't able to reflash my phone and now the GPS issues persist. This is ridiculous. I paid $20 when the GPS was working for an App that's uses GPS and now it doesn't work anymore. WHY cant we just get a fix? Smiley Sad

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

As of today, my problems are back.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

So I'm on a 3 hour road trip today. Waze cannot keep track of where I am. For example, it would tell me to do a U-turn when I was on the designated route. GPS would drop out for anywhere from a few seconds to what seemed like minutes. Turning off and restarting location services would bring the GPS back, but it would take a long time to connect - usually about 30 seconds. The longest was 77 seconds. (I'm running the paid version of GPS Status) Meanwhile, my coworker's LG was happily chugging away right next to my Samsung.

I stopped by BestBuy on my way home to see if they had a Note3 that I could take outside and compare to mine - I still don't know if this is my device or some/all Note3s. They didn't have one, but their associate reset the software on my phone using SMART. 

We went outside and BAM, my phone gets a lock in 4 seconds. I'm even getting 9-15 second locks inside my house. ???????????????????????????????? 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining that it is working great now. I'm complaining that I've had this phone for over a year and it has never worked well despite me putting hours upon hours into trying to figure out what is going on and getting it fixed. All while the designers of the phone and software offer no real information and when a solution is provided, it is temporary at best.

This is the third time I've had BestBuy reset the phone. I've performed a factory reset twice using KEIS and losing all of my settings. The phone has been sent to Samsung for repair twice. I've done every repair/reset I can find on the internet short of rooting or loading a custom ROM. Every time I think it is finally fixed, it craps out again.

Samsung and AT&T tech support are less than useful time vampires. Samsung refuses to replace the phone with a new one. AT&T will replace it with a refurb, but again, I don't know if there is an actual issue with this phone. All Note3’s may act this way.  A refurb won’t fix that and I have had more bad that good experiences with refurbished electronics.

So now the GPS on my phone appears to be working. I sincerely hope that it continues to do so and it doesn't give out when I actually need it.

I'm tired of acting as an unsupported/unappreciated software/hardware tester for Samsung/AT&T.

My next phone will likely be a Nexus on Verizon.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Can you give us the details on this SMART phone reset? Was it anything special or was it the same reset they perform for all the phones? Did you ask them specifically for this? Also you are running 4.4.4. correct?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

SMART is the software to reset the phone without losing all of the customization settings. The Samsung kiosk at best buy has it. They have used it to reset my phone at least 3 times, this last time with the greatest effect. It was just a normal reset. I'm running 4.4.4.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

@pdqgp wrote:

XDA has a fix for the GPS by entering service mode.   I'm on 4.4.4 and found that it works.  It rebuilds the Network Verification for GPS.

Good luck.

Well I upgraded my phone to the Note 4 and was afraid that I would encounter the same issue with my new phone on 4.4.4. But for me anyway I haven't encountered a single issue with losing GPS signal at all. It has only been 2 weeks since I had the device but so far so good. Not that upgrading my phone is an acceptable fix for Note 3 users but I just thought I would share it with the rest of the forum. I'm sorry that the SIM swap didn't work for some but hopefully AT&T does something about this because this is totally unacceptable to ignore this issue and not fix it. They continue to blame Samsung which is laughable. I even explained to them if this was a Samsung issue then it would effect Note 3's on all carriers but from talking to other Note 3 users on other carriers they never had this issue at all. Of course after I said that the AT&T tech had nothing else to say but I will make a note of this issue and forward to the head of our tech department. But I hope they actually do fix this issue for everyone using a Note 3. I wish everyone good luck because I know how frustrasting this can be especially since we paid so much money for a flagship device. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.