The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

@BaeckerX1Yeah I know it's an overreaction. But I need to exaggerate when it come to our lives. 

We all feel "that's exaggeration" "that's overreaction" until somebody dies in front of you, and it's too late to change our opinion at that time.

AT&T employees should ask themselves - "Do I give this phone to my loved one on the go and still feel fine?"

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

I wonder what is your interpretation of "safety is our top priority".

- Like all corporate talk I hear, "Blah, Blah, Blah"

Do you mean that turning off/on GPS while actively driving with significant mental distraction is safe? 

- I mean I don't do that. I simply dont use the Note 3 GPS if I actually need directions. To answer your follow up, [Edited to comply with Guidelines] The offended party says, "I was significantly harmed or cheated by your inaction." The opposing side says, "Stuff happens, we fixed it" and the judge sorts it out. I note that there are what, about 80" me too's on this thread. This issue does not seem to be getting a ton of internet traction either because there are not that many users affected or not that many people use their Note's for GPS. 

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

It's so frustrating that this phone thinks I'm pointing North when I'm pointing or heading West. I drove about 30 minutes south from exit 269 to 237 on 75 in Atlanta. Not only did the gps drop out, but sometimes it would put me on a parallel side street and change the direction. On one occasion it told me to turn around and take 85 north assuming I had to go north to get back on 75 south which was wrong. It is actually possible to get on 85 north where I was and if I didn't know better I would have done it. Terrible.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

@BaeckerX1 wrote:

I received a direct phone call from AT&T executive customer relations in response to my FCC complaint. He assured me they are aware of the issue and should have a fix soon. He  he hinted that they're looking to get it out in March.

My guess is he's referencing an upgrade to Kit Kat.  Hopefully so and hopefully this fixes the issue.

I just began noticing the issue much more readily and it seems to be tied to using the phone or receiving a text message.   If either happens, my GPS signal goes blank for several minutes.   It will eventually pick back up but is still unacceptable.  I confirmed this theory tonight and over the past week.

My other thought is it also drops when receiving emails.  I haven't confirmed this but I just recently switched my email accounts from manual to push.  However, looking back on the matter it does seem to have presented itself as occuring much more often after having done this.

Let's hope for a fix with Kit Kat.  If not, I too will likely be moving away from AT&T.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

BKBury...I'm in Columbus too. Did the warranty replacement fix the issue?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Factory reset is a temporary fix. Here is how to recreate the issue after a factory reset: Start navigation on Google maps or other software. While navigating, ask someone to give you a call. Answer that call. From now on you will experience gps signal lost while navigating and when you connect a charger. That is from my experience,
Please test and confirm.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

ATT Note 3 here...and familiar with this issue as well. I was in downtown Dallas recently(AT&T's Home Base) and needed walking directions to Jury Duty and WHAM!, no GPS. A $700 phone shouldn't be having something as basic as GPS issues...and since it does, ATT should be on it like gangbusters to get it fixed.

Funny thing is my wife has same phone, so we try to take turns on who has GPS working. Not funny when you're holding $1,400 worth of electronics that can't tell me how to get to a destination.

ATT...WHEN will this be fixed...and moreso, when will we get our 4.4.2?

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

ATT is hoping that KitKat will fix this problem.  I can tell you first hand that KitKat did not fix the GPS issue on the TMobile KitKat OTA update, so don't expect it to be fixed on ATT's update of KitKat.  Doing a warranty replacement doesn't fix the issues either because more than likely you are getting your nieghbors refurbished Note 3 with the same issue.  The Samsung Note 3 is a failure on ATT and other carriers.  The only relief your going to get is to call speak to the office of the president and demand a refund in exchange for the phone or ask them to swap it out for a totaly different phone without using any of your upgrades or costing you a dime.  Other than that unless you can get your hands on an international version of the Note 3, stay away from the Note 3 for all U.S. carriers. 

Maybe the Samsung Galaxy S5 will be better...as long as the GPS files are not swaped out once it falls into the hands of U.S. Carriers.  I have a buddy at work with the international version of the phone we tested it out side by side in my car against the ATT version and the GPS signal dropped everytime I either plugged it into my car charger or anytime the phone switched from LTE to 4G on the ATT version.  The international version never missed a beat.  So that tells you that there is a serious issued with the American version of the Samsung Note 3 and more than likely the S5 as well.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

I have yet to see any reports of the t mobile variant even having the issue
your the first I've seen it said have any sources of at a minimal of 100+
complaints confirming this? That said I agree I don't think kitkat will
fix the issue unless it includes the international GPS files along with it
or totally reworked ones.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

you might want to log on to some TMobile forums to find those complaints.  I have my co-workers who have TMobile and I can confirm personally that the KitKat release that hit the TMobile version of the Note 3 yesterday did not correct the problem.  There is something seriously wrong with the U.S. Version of this phone period.  Not sure what the carriers did to it or what files they may have tweaked to there liking but it really ruined the phone. 

The probably didn't do anything different then what they would normally do when they are trying to pawn off there poor quality bloatware by including it in every phone they release.  This would cause tweaking of some of the files more than likley.  But for some reason when the tweaked the Note 3's files it destroyed the GPS on the phone...especially when switching from a LTE tower to a none LTE tower.  And plugging it into your car charger  causing the GPS to turn off is a first that I have ever seen. I wonder if they will ever sell a phone in the U.S. just as it is without tweaking it so much. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.