The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Just got off an hour long session with AT&T Resolution Center. The gal I spoke with was very nice, and when I explained the problem (again) she said "I know exactly what you're talking about! My fiance has the same issue on his phone!" She finally told me it is a known issue and currently "under investigation".

FWIW, at least I got that far. I also got some service credit. YMMW.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Well, at least they're acknowledging that there is an issue; now to see when we'll get a fix. Thanks for checking into this!

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Don't let them try and pass this off on Samsung. My experience has been pretty good so far with AT&T, but this is just plain stupid. If this was a Samsung problem, then why is it that the people who flash the International files for our phones report that the problem is solved. That means using unaltered Samsung files solved the problem, using alerted AT&T versions of the files: GPS signal lost. Doesn't take a genius to recognize the problem is with the altered AT&T GPS files. Reporting to Samsung does nothing, Samsung doesn't cook up AT&T's ROM. Other members in this thread also report testing other carrier's version of the Note 3 and they work fine. Wanna run that by me again how this is a Samsung problem AT&T?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Just want to throw in my recent experience in fixing these matters, sorry if it is redundant info which might already appeared in earlier post. Just in case anyone who have not seen all posts yet.  I went to an ATT service center and the tech suggested to reflash my phone which I did, the GPS worked fine right away (without any apps, just preloaded ones). That night I reload most of my core apps, the GPS worked for another 3 days but now the drop GPS signal issue is coming back. The tech suggestted if this problem had come back they will send a replacement, and I personnally think the replacement will likely be a refurbished garbage so I might go to the store again and see what I can do. 

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, everyone!

We’ve been working with Samsung to analyze the situation and identify a solution. A software update will be released soon that will address the issue and improve the customer experience. Thank you for your patience.

-Mariana

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

I've had the same experience with Navigation as everyone else but the key thorn in my side is my bicycling tracking app which suffers from the same affliction as it seems.  I use "MapMyRide"  and others use "Strava" but both seem to have the same issue.  I may be riding along, I have the internal voice announce my pace / time / speed every 1/2 mile, then I'll notice that I've ridden a while without an update from voice and I'll stop to have a look and as soon as I wake up the phone, I can see that the GPS is off in the weeds, then it will all of a sudden find itself and draw a straight line from it's last known point on the map to whereever I am now, no matter the route I've ridden.  This cuts untold distance from my route and subtracts from my average speed for the route.  It is exteremely demoralizing to be riding 10's of miles and busting your tail to achive faster speeds over given intervals just to have some robot voice lady give you a false, slower, reading due to a GPS error.  Also, the MMR and Strava users lay down routes over popular streets and establish a time for a given interval, much like a Time trial, then publish it.  Others can then go to that route and ride it in an attempt to establish faster times than previous riders.  Imagine riding a route and you know you are having a particulaly good ride with perhaps your fastest time, and when you get to the end, you stop to check the app and it lost tracking, therefore not giving you credit for the ride.  This has caused me to nearly throw my phone in the river on a couple of occasions now.  I will be looking forward to the fix.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

I'm following a suggestion that's I've come across on another forum.  There is a free app named "GPS Status & Toolbox"  Some claim success by using this app to calibrate yor GPS and then turning on an option in Settings/Background behaviour / "Use GPS when screen is off".  

I've tried so many things now including resetting to factory defaults with no success that I dont have a lot of high hopes for this one either but I'll be trying it this afternoon.  

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I'm seeing a whole lot of people re-hashing what's already been tried thouroughly in this forum.  

Please read the back log of posts.  

• Getting a new phone doesn't help except to force AT&T to acknowlege the problem (which they seem to have done).  After 24-48 hours the problem with start happening on the new phone.
  • A factory reset will fix the problem for 24 hours if you leave the sim card in the phone.
  • If you remove the sim and factory reset the problem will not recur until you re-add the sim.
  • At this point the only proven solution is to root your phone and replace certain gps library files.  This has a whole slew of issues including voiding your warranty. 

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

So I tried the "GPS Status & Toolbox" solution that I posted earlier.  I did a 3 mile run at lunch over a running trail that I normally have errors on about 1/2 the time I run there and I didnt have an error today but maybe I was lucky....  However...  what has to be more than luck is my 35 mile bike ride that I did this evening.  I have never did this ride without GPS errors since I've owned the Note 3 and I did it without error tonight.  This is a very good sign.  I'll keep updating as I continue to try this fix.  To clarify, I installed the app, Under Menu/Tools, I performed the Compas and pitch/roll calibrations.  Under Menu/Settings/GPS & Sensors, I set the Auto Download AGPS data to 6 hours, and under Menu/Settings/Background behaviour I checked the  "Use GPS when screen is off" option to on.  Good Luck !!

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

Guys thinking about switching to the LG Flex cuz of this . I checked it out its a nice phone but the screen is greyer /darker( notice on whites) , 720 display, and no s pen. Would you do it if you had the option? ?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.