Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Not working and missing features on AT&T

Teacher

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Not working and missing features on AT&T

My son went to a AT&T store he asked about the  Samsung Galaxy Note 10+.   He told them that Samsung had a offer to get a Note 10+ and get a credit of $600 for his current Phone + $200 in accessories credit.  The associate told him that he should get it directly from Samsung and they are both the same phone but they didn't have the same deal.    

When he received it he showed it my wife and I.  I went to a store and asked the same question and I was told like he was NO problem they didn't have a deal like that but when I got the 2 phones (my wife's and mine) to bring them in and get a new sim card.

Well I now have the phones, and yes they work on AT&T however, AT&T visual voice mail would not work I had to use Samsung visual voice mail.  Then I noticed advanced messaging was not there  and neither was the ability to to calling over wifi.

I Talked with AT&T and they said maybe I needed newer firmware and to call Samsung   I did and they said that AT&T  was incorrect I have the latest  that I am running Android Version 9 baseband N975U1UEUASH4   the build number was PPR1.180510.011.N975U1UEU1ASH4    which I was told was the latest.

I talked to someone that looked at my call transactions and they are all 3G and not 4G LTE that it might not be Certified for VOLTE  or possibly some other functionalities.  

I talked to Samsung and they said the phone is the same device as to what they sell to AT&T however AT&T may need to add my IMEI to their system to have the phone properly operate.  They also said that once that is done then I would automatically get over the air updates form AT&T.

So I did that and no difference.

So AT&T points the finger at Samsung and Samsung said its AT&T and they would explain it on the phone if I wanted to conference with them.   SO 

Can someone please advise.   I have been a AT&T wireless customer since the  days of BellSouth Mobility but this is getting very aggravating.

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Not working and missing features on AT&T

If it's a u1 phone and did not come from Att the it won't get volte or wifi calling.  There is a reason those ssung deals are so good.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15
Teacher

WHY? when Samsung states its the exact same device and it would just require that they add the IMEI into their system  ( I might even  understand that I  would have to download a file but to say no?  hmm

Message 3 of 15
ACE - Expert

Because Samsung did not get the phone certified for use with those features. There is a reason Att note 10's come in a different box.  Att wants to sell phones not give them away..  So the easiest way is to force you to get their branded phone.  I don't agree with it.  I can but a iPhone from apple and it works great.  Not so with Android phones.  Exception in that is the pixel 3 and pixel 3a series phones.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 15
Teacher

Well I had Pixel 3 128 phones with out a problem and AT&T worked great, why would they do this, this would be a reason to switch carriers, I have been loyal for years but seriously ,   keep the customer, if that means that we have to install a APK file to add the features great but do they want to loose the monthly service income by turning us away? we have 5 lines and have for many many years (over 15) and service about 30

Message 5 of 15
ACE - Expert

Att does not care.  For every 1 customer that leaves 2 more come in.  It's turned to a 2 year switch game for most people that want deals.  There is no apk that can change the csc file on a Samsung phone.

Message 6 of 15
Teacher

Samsung sells 2 versions of the Note10 line that work on ATT; the unlocked version and the ATT version.  The unlocked version doesn't have all the bloated programs that come on the ATT version BUT does not have access to some of the ATT features such as Wifi calling and advanced messaging.  I agree, it's dumb.  I got an unlocked Note9 last year and sent it back because I needed the wifi calling as the ATT coverage in my area stinks.  It's confusing and both Samsung and ATT leave it to the consumer to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Once ATT moved away from subsidizing phones and started making their customers pay the full price (albeit over time with their next program or whatever it is they do now) they should have opened up access to those features for all BYOD devices...like their competition has.  It's one of the more popular reasons ATT customers are transitioning to other carriers (and a bunch of other service/feature impacting decisions no one can make sense of).  Most carriers are tired of having to deal with hardware questions/issues (exploding batteries) and the headache that entails.  It's easier for them to just sell a service plan and make the cost of the hardware a pass-through cost to the consumer.

Message 7 of 15
Teacher

well after talking with Samsung they are the exact same phone with a different firmware that I was told that if AT&T was given our IMEI number if we power off an dback on it could download the files.

apparently so far they don't want to do that.       I did just talk with someone at AT&T that looked at my account and the call profiles and I am only connecting as  a 3 g Device for all 3 of our phones (Note10+ )   and only one of them apparently is provisioned for VOLTE however, he still only is making calls as 3g.

I find it hard to believe that a 2 for one transition occurs and with all my years in business it is always more expensive to acquire a new customer than to keep a existing long term customer happy.   The late Charles Tandy (CEO Tandy Corp, Radio Shack and more)  at a annual managers meeting explained the studies he had done.  bottom line one unhappy customer on average will tell 10 of their friends who tell on average 7 of their friends who tell 4 of their friends who tell 2 of theirs over about a 180 day period which means 560 people on average will hear about a bad experience 1 customer had that should have been dealt with.  He then said that NO amount of marketing can overcome that kind of negative press as it will continue to spread.

Why wouldn't AT&T want to keep the ongoing revinue and just add the IMEI into their system and provision it properly  and download the .APK files to the phone with the firmware.

Does the OOP or OOCEO even know this is happening?

Message 8 of 15
ACE - Expert

I told you once it's more than a apk file to make the IMEI work for wifi calling and volte.  The csc file has to be changed and the only one that can do that to your phone is Samsung as they are the ones that send you updates.  You also have to realize Samsung updates the u1 series LAST after the carrier versions.

Message 9 of 15
Teacher

It's really the firmware so ATT getting the IMEI won't help get those files.  You'd have to root then reflash with the official ATT firmware which is a real pain if you're not up on the latest hacks.  Judging from your Tandy reference I'm guessing you're not (I'm not calling you old...I too had a Tandy:) Your best option is to return your unlocked version phone to Samsung and exchange them for the ATT version.  When you purchase them on their website they ask which carrier version you want, don't get the unlocked.  Unfortunately, you really can't trust anything the ATT rep or Samsung reps say, there is a dearth of training available for those folks...which is also part of the larger problem with ATT culture in that if they don't train their sales and customer service staff effectively they must not place much importance on their ability to provide customer satisfaction.  It's pandemic across most industries these days.

Message 10 of 15
ACE - Expert

@bridge4d 

Since when do you need root to flash a Samsung phone?   Like never...  Just flash with Odin and call it a day.  Right now it's hard to find a full package of the Att note 10 firmware.

Message 11 of 15
Teacher

Yeah, no clue what you're talking about. Mine was just a reference to what little I can remember from years ago when I would change firmware to elucidate that it's just not worth trying to reload/reflash/re-do anything.  Just send it back and get the one that works the way you want it.  Which, after speaking with CS again earlier this evening seems to be what the solution is for my advanced messaging issue, so adios amigos!

Message 12 of 15
Teacher

@tommyloui Good News everyone Galaxy S10 series Unlocked U1 Just got VoLTE on AT&T and Cricket but no Wifi-Calling. Maybe soon will be the rest of samsung unlocked devices.

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

I am having the same issues and dealing with the same situation.    Im getting the turnaround.  This is getting really irritating.   

Message 14 of 15
ACE - Sage

@Elanadia wrote:

I am having the same issues and dealing with the same situation.    Im getting the turnaround.  This is getting really irritating.   

So stop allowing ‘getting the turn around’.  The answer given by @GLIMMERMAN76  is correct.  If it doesn’t boot with the AT&T boot screen it won’t get the mentioned features.  

Verizon has allowed more features, but is also a full year ahead of At&t in terminating 3g services. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support