The Samsung Galaxy S24
shanstu1970's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 12:11 PM

S4 android "do not turn off, downloading target" screen for 6 hrs, now problems

I woke up to the error message yesterday, and left it there just in case it really was still downloading target for 6 hrs.  It ran out of power and shut off on it's own.  Now, when I plug in the power cord, instead of showing that it is charging, it says "dock connected" and sometimes beeps on and off as though I'm continually plugging and unplugging the cord.

I also cannot connect the phone to my computer any more.  I would reset to factor settings right now if I could guarantee my data was backed up to my computer.  I was never able to get AT&T backup to work right.

I also now have a problem with my camera.  It will take photos, but when I go into gallery to view them, they aren't there.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

The general consensus from google searches is this can happen if the phone gets wet, or is otherwise having mechanical issues.

If it indeed got wet, pull the battery and put the phone and the battery in a ziplock bag of dry rice for a day. Then give it a go and see if it's better.

If it didn't get wet, try pulling the battery and then put it back in after a couple minutes. This is just a hard reset - your data will be fine.

If neither of those helps, then you've had a hardware failure, and nothing but a repair/swap will fix it.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Also, it was plugged in when it ran out of battery during the error screen

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

That worked to fix the dock message and connection to computer. 

I did find out that the reason my camera doesn't write to the microsd card is because the newest update 4.4.2 doesn't allow apps to write to external cards.  This is so there isn't a problem with speed differences between the various cards.  It's the exact reason why I left Apple.  It's my phone, and my card.  I should be able to have the camera or any other app write to the external card if it comes with a card slot.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@shanstu1970 wrote:

That worked to fix the dock message and connection to computer. 

I did find out that the reason my camera doesn't write to the microsd card is because the newest update 4.4.2 doesn't allow apps to write to external cards.  This is so there isn't a problem with speed differences between the various cards.  It's the exact reason why I left Apple.  It's my phone, and my card.  I should be able to have the camera or any other app write to the external card if it comes with a card slot.

Actually, applications can still write to the SD Card, but they can only write in a specific folder limited to their use and that folder gets deleted off the card if you remove that app.  Isn't that all special?  I had to redo my book library and and had to figure out the exact folder name to create on the card to put my books into so that my book reader could access the folder.  Swell, huh?

Google actually made the change a long time ago, but most phone manfacturers basically disabled the change for several releases.  Samsung just quit in 4.4.2.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. 

Well, this was the stock camera app, and it would let me take the photo, and show it briefly in the thumbnail in the corner of the viewscreen.  When I go into gallery, it would be a broken link.  I didn't change a thing.  I just noticed I had no photos past a certain date. 

Are you able to take photos and save to card?  The camera settings still show that you can choose to save to the card. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

My storage setting is still "Memory Card" and I am having no issues.  OTOH, I am using the VZW build of 4.4.2.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.