The Samsung Galaxy S24
RECONLESS's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, August 26th, 2018 3:25 AM

Note 9 ATT Network Unlocking Code Does Not Work

Hey, I just purchased (and fully paid off) a Note 9 that is locked to the AT&T network, and was successful in getting my unlock request approved for my device, and yes I triple-checked to make sure that I entered the correct IMEI number from both the sticker on the back and the "about phone" section of the settings app). The unlock code was tagged as an incorrect unlock code when trying to enter it both from the encrypted unlock screen and after the un-encryption sequence after bootup. I don't think I've tried the code 5 times (probably around 4), and I've been putting in the exact same unlock code each time I tried (the exact one from the confirmation email), but have been completely unable to get the authorization to pass.

I do not have AT&T as a service provider, but wanted to get the phone unlocked so that I could use it with my current service provider (T-Mobile).

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Why in God's.green Earth did you not buy the TMobile version?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I purchased it locked on ATT because of a special discount I could only get
to work on a locked ATT Note 9.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

And now your seeing the problem with it.  If you miss one more time with the code it's locked to att forever.   I would contact Samsung because the unlock codes they provided att are wrong.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

>contact Samsung
The codes are generated by AT&T using the IMEI number as a sort of hash
function key, Samsung has nothing to do with this and would suggest I
contact AT&T (as seen in multiple threads on this site on the same topic).
Calling AT&T led me to the unlocking site (which does not help with this
specific problem), and cannot be done over the phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@RECONLESS

the phones are locked at the factory...  Samsung does have the keys and they do provide ATT and Tmobile with the unlock codes for the phones...  Every phone that leaves the factory has a set of unlock codes and yes its a has of the IMEI and other things..  Apple does not since they control their own activation servers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

+1 on this.

I received my unlock code from AT&T for my Note 9 and it is incorrect. Contacted Facebook social support, we will see if they can help.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Since I posted the first time, here's what happened:

I contacted AT&T through the phone, they told me to call Samsung to get a new code since they handle that. Samsung rep said that AT&T handles literally 100% of the network unlock codes past the initial generation, so there's absolutely nothing that Samsung can do in this specific situation. Called AT&T like 5 more times after getting the runaround every time. At one point they said they re-verified / "refreshed" the network code, so their new code should work. It just so happens that the new code is the exact same as the original one (hint: they did absolutely nothing). I called in a handful more times before needing a network SIM PUK for my SIM card. AT&T couldn't give me one, said Samsung could (which is incredibly stupid, since a PUK or personal unlock code is 100% handled through the carrier), T-Mobile told me to look on the back of the SIM card holder that it was originally given to me in, which after inputting, did nothing. Called up AT&T yet again, this time threatened to leave a BBB complaint and an FCC claim since I am within my legal rights to an unlocked phone, and nothing. Figured that I may as well just report the internal SIM card reader as broken (since it may as well be) and get a full return due to a manufacturing defect.

I looked into it more on my own, and what it looks like is that the initial batch of network unlock codes were either incorrect on Samsung's end or were incorrectly tied to their respective IMEI numbers, so either way I'm screwed.

There is absolutely nothing AT&T customer support can will do, and if you're out of options for getting a new handset, then maybe filing an FCC complaint / BBB claim will help, but I'm not certain about that. One thing's for certain: this entire situation has left a very sour taste in my mouth from AT&T corporate (and a handful of reps, but I don't want to let one bad apple soil the bunch) and their very heinous business practices.

Solution: returned the device as defective, because AT&T inadvertently / purposefully structured their support system to solve this specific problem by just ignoring it until they get enough small claims court filings to make it a problem.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

6 years ago

I've had the same problem and have had the run around from both AT&T, and Samsung.   Neither can help me with this.  The unlock code they gave me will not work.  And I know if you enter it more than 5 times it will lock your phone to the network.  I've only done it twice.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Is your note 9 a pre-order or a regular purchase note 9? I myself am
waiting for my return to go through and then place a new order, which might
affect the type of note 9 I order.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

6 years ago

Mine was a pre-order.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.