Explore & discover

Helpful Links

MMS Problem

Highlighted

MMS Problem

I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T for wireless services.  I elected to keep my Samsung Galaxy S6; Verizon doesn't lock it's smartphones, so that wasn't a problem.

The native texting app on my phone is Verizon's proprietary app so, of course, it doesn't work on the AT&T network.

I have tried a couple of different texting apps, currently using Textra, but I am not able to send or receive MMS messages.

Is there a setting that I can change, or should I take my phone to the AT&T store for assistance?

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 9
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Snooterpoot
‎12-24-2017 12:35 PM

Re: MMS Problem

Not really. Verizon branded Android devices usually never work with MMS on the AT&T network. It's because of the way they integrate Messsages+ into the ROM. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Sage

Using a 3rd party app should work and it’s the solution others used successfully with the galaxy line of phones.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for the reply.

Message 4 of 9

Thank you for your response.  It looks like I might be out of luck, because none of the third party apps I have tried will send or receive MMS messages.

Message 5 of 9
Contributor

Verizon using CDMA tech vs ATT using GSM is your issue. Even unlocked the the doesn't mesh together. MMS always uses carriers signal even if you're on wifi. If the Verizon phone can't utilize the technology or frequency bands, it will never work despite anything anyone says.

Message 6 of 9

Thank you. It looks like I'll have to replace my Galaxy S6 to have the
functionality I want.
Message 7 of 9
Contributor

I had a similar problem, and an (otherwise very good) at&t employee at a store concluded Verizon is probably including firmware to prevent some functionality. But I discovered a solution which works for me (Verizon S7 G930V).
In the end, I can use MMS and get 4G LTE service (at least the symbol appears in the status bar).

Input into your phone's Access Point Names the following information from this post:

Name - PTA

APN - pta

Proxy - Leave Blank

Port - Leave Blank

Username - Leave Blank

Password - Leave Blank

Server - Leave Blank

MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS Port - 80

MCC - 310

MNC - 410

Authentication Type - Leave Blank

APN type - default,mms,supl,hipri

Bearer - Leave Blank

Message 8 of 9
Contributor

I had the same problem with Samsung Messages app (unable to send images via text or very slowly downloading incoming text messages with images), switching a Galaxy 6S Verizon to the AT&T network.  I finally downloaded the Google Messenger app on the Samsung 6S and it seems to work now.  

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support