The Samsung Galaxy S24
mikevm's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 5:56 PM

Galaxy S6 Active Unlocked updates

Hi,

AT&T allows you to buy an unlocked Galaxy S6 Active, but from what I understand there is no way to get phone updates unless you're actually on the AT&T network. This is outrageous.

Android updates are a must (the recent security updates is a good example), and it is rather strange that after paying so much for a phone you get stuck with an old operating system version.

Please allow updates for customers over WiFi, or at least let us download OTA images manually.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @mikevm

I understand how important it is for you to be able to receive software updates.

The reason you’re unable to perform updates while active on another carrier is because the updates we release for our branded devices are specifically compatible with our network.

Alternatively you can take your phone to a Samsung Experience kiosk at Best Buy and have them flash the latest software on to your device.

Thanks,

Charise

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

or you can just get a prepaid AT&T SIM card pop it in,turn wi-fi on and do your updates..easy fast and simple 🙂

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Question... which solution worked out for your case?  Please advice since I may have the same issue with my phone..... Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I have an AT&T prepaid that is no longer active, but it is AT&T, should that work while connected to WiFi??

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@lmcbain wrote:

I have an AT&T prepaid that is no longer active, but it is AT&T, should that work while connected to WiFi??

has to be on a active sim card.  It will cost you atleast 5 bucks for a sim card now that att is charging for them.  You can do the pay as you go prepaid and that will let you get updates.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.