For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
samsungdevices's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, November 5th, 2015 10:01 PM

Galaxy S5 software update failure

Similar issue to what I see in Forums for updates to 4.4/5.0 etc. My device clearly indicates a software update is available, but after waiting for the 600+MB download to finish, the update fails to complete. Please advise?

Andy B[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

8 years ago

Why do you need 6.4gb to install a 600mb update? You guys need to fire your software engineers for being incompetent with those kind of demands! Your talking about a phone that probably only has 8gb available out of the box anyway! My 16gb nexus 5 I was able to update with less than 2gb remaining! Hire some better software engineers!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

That's a stock android image remember touch wiz is a pain.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

In the future, ATT should include the free space needed to execute the update.  This is very frustrating. 

Additionally, Updates should be configured to be able to use expanded memory instead of the internal core RAM only.  These phones have a very limited amount of internal memory, and keeping 50% of it free for occaisional updates is unrealistic.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

600 mb is the compressed file size.  it needs to be decompressed to run the execution and insert the new data.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Updates that require such a large amount of free space for installation make the purchase of a 16 GB phone no longer practical. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Agreed.  Either Samsung for AT&T have immature programmers.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have never been able to update my unlocked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5. I thought about getting an AT&T go SIM card but the person working at the AT&T store said that it still would not update. When I check for updates it says no updates are available but it is running on 4.4.4 so it should be updating to Marshmallow. 

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@mitchychick wrote:

I have never been able to update my unlocked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5. I thought about getting an AT&T go SIM card but the person working at the AT&T store said that it still would not update. When I check for updates it says no updates are available but it is running on 4.4.4 so it should be updating to Marshmallow. 

Take your phone to a Samsung Experience Center, (not Geek Squad) located inside Best Buy stores, and ask them to flash the updates for you. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.