The Samsung Galaxy S24
samsungdevices's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, November 5th, 2015 10:01 PM

Galaxy S5 software update failure

Similar issue to what I see in Forums for updates to 4.4/5.0 etc. My device clearly indicates a software update is available, but after waiting for the 600+MB download to finish, the update fails to complete. Please advise?

Andy B[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Assuming you are connected to the AT&T network, the most likely cause for the update failure is that you do not have enough space available on your phone.  Although 4 to 7 GB is the amount of space recommended for installation of the update, many people have not been able to complete the installation until they have freed up as much as 6.4 GB.  If you do not have enough space available, try going to Settings > Storage > Cached Data and clear the cached data to free up space.  You might also need to temporarily remove some Apps, and/or photos, videos, etc. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I'm having the same issue.  The most space I can easily free up without a lot of inconvenience is just over 4 GB.  Seems like it is unreasonable to expect more free space on a phone with only 16 GB internal storage.  Is there no way for AT&T to program this to:

(1) check for sufficient storage space before wasting an hour downloading the update?

(2) make the update more efficient so that it doesn't require this much storage to work?

The current situation is frustrating and a waste of time.  Definitely not customer service oriented!

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Unfortunately, you will need to free up more space in order to install the update. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Finally got the update to work. Took freeing up over 6 GB of space in main memory to get the "update interrupted" error to stop occurring. Thanks for the tip about this.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

You're very welcome.  Smiley Wink

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for the advise and I will try it.   To get this much space I will have to uninstall ALL of my Apps.  This is a Major hassle and it should not be.  You should not have to free up any more than 1GB of space or none at all.   So after I get it to work, I will have to reinstall of of my Apps and then what happend when Marshmallow comes out?   Do I have to do this again?

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

You're welcome.  Smiley Happy

I agree, it shouldn't require that much space, but unfortunately it does.   As for Marshmallow, hopefully that will be a better scenario; your guess is as good as mine. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I got to 7gb free and the update worked.  Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Lilybell2

Marshmallow will take about 7gb to install again would be my guess as its changing a few things.  It does make you wounder how compressed the 684mb update file is for 5.1.1.  Newer phones this is not a problem unless they have used all the storage.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@princesslos You're very welcome.  I'm glad to hear you've managed to install the update.

@GLIMMERMAN76 You're likely right about Marshmallow.  File compression seems to be getting more intense.  Note the difference between the file download size versus space needed for installation... comparing 5.0 with 5.1.1... the differences are striking.  And, as you've mentioned, there are changes in Marshmallow that may result in a higher space requirement for installation.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.