Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

Contributor

Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

I have a very strong WiFi signal at home. I connect easily enough, but every few seconds the WiFi signal gets dropped and it reconnects. It's extremely admitting, especially because the connecting message keeps popping up and interrupts typing. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 73
Tutor

Re: Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

ATT forced the update thru to my phone so it is their problem. I did not ask for the update I actually tried to stop it from installing and could not. If ATT decides what features the Samsung phone can use on their network so it is stupid to say it is just a Samsung issue.

ATT FORCED it into My phone.

I have been with ATT since 1989 and the lack of response to fix this is ridiculous.

I have verified verizon S5 phones that do not have this issue.

The turn off smart network does not help battery usage or the dropping wifi network issue.

This issue is not part of the Android upgrade 4.4.4. 

Message 31 of 73
Contributor

Just bought a new S5 (Android 4.4.4) two days ago and having WIFI issues at home and with Optimum WIFI. Could not run network tests because WIFI was dropping frequently. Seems to work after unchecking that smart network switch box (at least network tests work over WIFI) 10 minutes ago.

Hope Samsung fixes this quickly. I'm not  sure if this feature is smart enonugh to fix issue I had with S3: Optimum has WIFI all over this area, but when connectivity gets poor, S3 did not drop that connection and switch to mobile resulting in problems using networked apps (usually navigation).I had to drop WIFI manually to get back online. 

Message 32 of 73
Tutor

I disabled smart switch and network notification and that seems to clear the problem until a real fix is found.

Message 33 of 73
Voyager

I am having same issues recently. Unchecking the box as described works but if this is a temporary fix, the real question is when will ATT issue an update that fixes things permanently so we can once again use the auto switch feature?
Message 34 of 73
Tutor

Hi,

I've posted what seems to be a working solution in a different thread.  It involves clearing the system cache (not app cache).  It does not delete app data or system settings.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Wi-Fi-Connectivity-Problems-A...

If this works for you, please rate and accept my post as a solution. Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 73
Contributor

This is either an Android or Samsung problem.  I brought my wife a LG G2 a few months back and she gets days off a charge (yes I know bigger battery).  In my battery usage Android system and Android OS are using all of my power 20%-50%.  The LG is using 5-6%.  My Wifi is constantly trying to connect even though it is connected.  So there is something in Android or Samsung that is causing this.  She is running 4.4.2 and I don't want to upgrade her to 4.4.4 for fear that this will happen to her.  AT&T shoud go right back to these companies and get this corrected.  If this does not get fixed soon,   well that will be 4 phones (not Samsungs ever again)  and service going somewhere else.  T Moblie looking good.  

Message 36 of 73
Tutor

Yes it is a Samsung problem with the latest update. In the meantime, if you
turn off Network Notification and Smart Network Switch you phone will not
keep scanning for a network and your battery life will be much better.

Message 37 of 73
Contributor

Both off. Still scanning. 

Message 38 of 73
ACE - Professor

With "Smart network switch" deselected, although the phone may well continue scanning, it should stop the constant disconnecting and reconnecting.

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 73
Tutor

Re: Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnectingyou

You may have to delete and re-install your account.

Message 40 of 73
Tutor

Have you tried clearing your system cache?  This as worked successfully for some people who have tried it.

1. With the phone off, boot into recovery mode by holding down the Home, Vol Up, and Power keys.
  2. Use the Volume down key to select "Wipe partition cache".
  3. Reboot the phone.

This doesn't affect your current app data or phone settings.  You should be able to re-enable "Smart Network Switch" and not drop wifi.

Message 41 of 73
Contributor

I also am still having this problem with dropping wifi. i tried all that this forum has to offer with no help to my issue. Please keep me posted to somehow to fix this problem.

Message 42 of 73
Contributor

What is the status on fixing the issues with WiFi after updating?  We are paying good money for services we cannot use.  How about offer us a different phone?

Message 43 of 73
Tutor

No, it doesn't fix it.  I know this wi-fi network is up, but my phone keeps ignoring it and scanning.  It didn't do that since the update that caused it the first time, when I unchecked the "Smart" network switch.  Now it just ignores this network and keeps scanning. 

This is an incredible nuisance that costs me money.  How do I stop it?

Message 44 of 73
Tutor

I already did all that, repeatedly.  Same problem.  This is NOT what I agreed to, and am not getting what I was promised.  How do I fix this?

Message 45 of 73
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support