The Samsung Galaxy S24
phroggue's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, December 15th, 2014 3:58 AM

Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

I have a very strong WiFi signal at home. I connect easily enough, but every few seconds the WiFi signal gets dropped and it reconnects. It's extremely admitting, especially because the connecting message keeps popping up and interrupts typing. Any ideas?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I have disabled smart switch and MANY other troubleshooting guidelines. Still doesn't work

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@schwenc wrote:
I have disabled smart switch and MANY other troubleshooting guidelines. Still doesn't work

Have you wiped the cache partition? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am now in month two of this nightmare. I can use my phone for maybe 2 weeks and then I am exceeding my data plan all because my phone will not stay connected for more than 10 seconds at home.

Wi-Fi signal is strong...I have 2 smart TV's, an HP Laptop, MacBook Air and an iPhone 6S ALL of which do not have this connectivety issue. I went to the AT&T store and my phone connected and stayed connected which embarassed the heck out of me making me seem insane! Called Netgear which was useless AND my internet provider and no one can help. Soon as I get home the same issue persists.

I have unchecked the Smart Network box, turned off the phone, forgot the Wi-Fi connection for my home, cleared the cache and nothing...even when I have had my Wi-Fi turned off somehow it will turn on and I will start to receive updates from my Apps that I do not want because I have almost run out of data...I had to pay an overage charge already for last month!

This is seriously making me want to be on team iPhone but guess what? I am one month over my year warranty and I would have to pay out of pocket to get a new device...so I basically have nothing, no picture texts, no web surfing, no Apps...until my data refreshes on the 3rd...

Pathetic...   

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

If none of the other devices in your home are having WiFi connectivity issues, then the problem is not with your router nor is it with your ISP. 

Other than the embarrassing situation at the AT&T store, where your phone stubbornly remained connected, have you connected to other WiFi networks?  If not, I suggest you give that a try and see what sort of results you get.  If you experience the same connectivity issues on other networks, then the problem must lie with your phone.    

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

It's definitely the phone. The problem is, not one person cares that WiFi is useless on this phone unless it's plugged in. Just runs the battery down. No more Samsung for me.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@dsharp62 wrote:
It's definitely the phone. The problem is, not one person cares that WiFi is useless on this phone unless it's plugged in. Just runs the battery down. No more Samsung for me.

Not all S5 phones have this problem.  Unfortunately, it's a major problem for those who do experience this issue. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I've switched off or unticked the 'Smart switch' but it's still dropping out every 10 seconds. Very frustrating. My husband has an IPhone S6 and never has any problems. ..so this is a definite Samsung problem.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Marcelle wrote:
I've switched off or unticked the 'Smart switch' but it's still dropping out every 10 seconds. Very frustrating. My husband has an IPhone S6 and never has any problems. ..so this is a definite Samsung problem.

That's very frustrating I'm sure.  Although my S5 scans incessantly, I haven't had issues with it actually dropping the connection since the OS was updated to version 5.1.1.

Which version of Android is installed on your S5? 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Try turning off network notification.   I have it and smart switch turned off and have had no problems for over a year.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I have 5.1.1  i have network notification and smart switch turned off and have had no problems for over a year.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.