Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

Contributor

Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

I have a very strong WiFi signal at home. I connect easily enough, but every few seconds the WiFi signal gets dropped and it reconnects. It's extremely admitting, especially because the connecting message keeps popping up and interrupts typing. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 73
ACE - Professor

Re: Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

As this topic was marked "solved" some time ago, our newer posts are likely to go unnoticed.  Therefore, I started a new topic, hoping that this new problem related to the 4.4.4 update might be acknowledged and resolved.  .

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Wi-Fi-Connectivity-Problems-Af... 

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 73
Contributor

I am also having this problem. My WiFi continues to connect and disconnect. I was not having this problem before the update. Will we get the 5.0 soon or will this issue be resolved since it will affect our data usage as well.
Message 17 of 73
ACE - Professor

Uncheck "Smart network switch."  That's a workaround, not a fix, but it will stop the constant dropping and reconnecting to Wi-Fi, and it prevents the switching over from Wi-Fi to the mobile network.

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 73
Voyager

Version - 4.4.2

My signal loss and battery life has sucked since about 1/15. I've re-booted, reconnected, re-jiggered and every single option and tab that my modem, router, range extender and S5 has to offer and nothing has stopped the almost constant wifi signal searching and loss cycle. This has been on a number of different wifi networks. You could watch the signal be acquired and then dropped every few seconds.

I have not called AT&T Tech because they know nothing and read from a script.

Out of sheer fury, I went through the hassle of a factory reset 4 hours ago and reconnected, minus the "Smart Network Switch" option.

I have not lost a wifi signal since.

Therein lies your problem, AT&T. Your "Smart Switch" is neither, and it is causing constant wifi signal loss and reconnection cycling.

4.4.2 & 4.4.4 are disasters for updates.

Fix them. Now.

Message 19 of 73
Contributor

This is happening to me too.  Couldn't figure out why my otherwise great battery usage was dropping so fast.  The last couple weeks I've had the constant dropping and reconnecting of my wifi.

Please fix this!  My S5 battery life is starting to suck as much as Iphone's!

Message 20 of 73
Voyager

Go to "Settings"..

Click on the "WiFi" icon.

At the top should be a line that says "Smart Network Swich" - MAKE SURE IT IS UN-CHECKED (No green check-mark).

Close out and re-start your phone.

You should stay connected and battery drain should stop.

I believe this is an AT&T issue with their data signals disrupting the Samsung S5.

Message 21 of 73
Contributor

Tried both resolutions, niether worked. I turned off the "Smart Network Switch," so far, that seems to be working better...

Message 22 of 73
Tutor

This is NOT solved sir! I have tried every solution on the forum and still not working correctly! Please help!

Message 23 of 73
Contributor

After the update my battery life is less than 4 hours.   My wifi is constantly scanning and switching.   I have turned off the Smart Network switch, but it is still scanning, and now I have lost the functionality of this feature.  I tried all the suggestions above and still constantly scanning.   This is not resolved!   Please fix this update!

Message 24 of 73
Highlighted
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by ATTJulieCS
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Hi there!

We have been receiving reports of connectivity issues with the Samsung Galaxy S5 after updating to 4.4.4. We are currently working with Samsung in order to identify a root cause and fix for this issue. As appears to have helped for some of the customers who have posted in this topic, the issue appears to be related to Smart Switch which can be addressed by disabling this feature. To do so:

1. Go to Settings>Wi-Fi>Smart network switch

1. Remove the mark in the checkbox.

We appreciate your patience as we work with Samsung to find a permanent solution to this issue.

Thanks,

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 25 of 73
Tutor

That did not a difference at all. I went thru all the steps ATT suggested and I still have heavy battery usage.

Message 26 of 73
Contributor

dear AT&T

you do realize that something that only helps with a problem is by definition not a solution and there for the issue is not SOLVED.

Message 27 of 73
Contributor

This is not an AT&T issue.  It's a Samsung issue. So, I have a Samsung Tab 4 and the same thing kept happening. It's because of some janky code in their firmware having to do with their wifi. Here is what will happen; Samsung will tell you at first it's a problem with AT&T internet and ask if you can connect at other places. This will work maybe 70% of the time, so it's a good ploy on their part. After a month or so this new place will start getting dropped. Next they'll tell you to go into your settings and forget your access point, then rescan for it and do an advanced connection where you have to enter everything manually. They'll give you some really detailed instructions so it won't be so hard. This will work for some of you just like turning off the smart network switch worked for some of you. The rest of us will have to wait for a firmware update which is what fixed my Tab 4. If you search wifi dropping on samsung Tab 4 you'll find the instructions on reseting your home network manually. Like I said it will work for some of you. I don't even have AT&T as my wireless carrier but I do have an S5 as my phone. I've got this problem too and was looking to see if they had anything new to fix it besides waiting for the firmware update when I saw this and thought I would share my experience. 

Message 28 of 73
Tutor

This is absurd. No wifi connection when I travel and my battery cannot make it past 90 minutes.

Sure glad I stayed wiht AT&T all these years...

Message 29 of 73
Tutor

This is not a fix. What's the point of the "smart network switch" if we have to disable it?

Message 30 of 73
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support