The Samsung Galaxy S24
phroggue's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, December 15th, 2014 3:58 AM

Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

I have a very strong WiFi signal at home. I connect easily enough, but every few seconds the WiFi signal gets dropped and it reconnects. It's extremely admitting, especially because the connecting message keeps popping up and interrupts typing. Any ideas?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Go to "Settings"..

Click on the "WiFi" icon.

At the top should be a line that says "Smart Network Swich" - MAKE SURE IT IS UN-CHECKED (No green check-mark).

Close out and re-start your phone.

You should stay connected and battery drain should stop.

I believe this is an AT&T issue with their data signals disrupting the Samsung S5.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Tried both resolutions, niether worked. I turned off the "Smart Network Switch," so far, that seems to be working better...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

This is NOT solved sir! I have tried every solution on the forum and still not working correctly! Please help!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

After the update my battery life is less than 4 hours.   My wifi is constantly scanning and switching.   I have turned off the Smart Network switch, but it is still scanning, and now I have lost the functionality of this feature.  I tried all the suggestions above and still constantly scanning.   This is not resolved!   Please fix this update!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

That did not a difference at all. I went thru all the steps ATT suggested and I still have heavy battery usage.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

dear AT&T

you do realize that something that only helps with a problem is by definition not a solution and there for the issue is not SOLVED.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This is not an AT&T issue.  It's a Samsung issue. So, I have a Samsung Tab 4 and the same thing kept happening. It's because of some janky code in their firmware having to do with their wifi. Here is what will happen; Samsung will tell you at first it's a problem with AT&T internet and ask if you can connect at other places. This will work maybe 70% of the time, so it's a good ploy on their part. After a month or so this new place will start getting dropped. Next they'll tell you to go into your settings and forget your access point, then rescan for it and do an advanced connection where you have to enter everything manually. They'll give you some really detailed instructions so it won't be so hard. This will work for some of you just like turning off the smart network switch worked for some of you. The rest of us will have to wait for a firmware update which is what fixed my Tab 4. If you search wifi dropping on samsung Tab 4 you'll find the instructions on reseting your home network manually. Like I said it will work for some of you. I don't even have AT&T as my wireless carrier but I do have an S5 as my phone. I've got this problem too and was looking to see if they had anything new to fix it besides waiting for the firmware update when I saw this and thought I would share my experience. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

This is absurd. No wifi connection when I travel and my battery cannot make it past 90 minutes.

Sure glad I stayed wiht AT&T all these years...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

This is not a fix. What's the point of the "smart network switch" if we have to disable it?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

ATT forced the update thru to my phone so it is their problem. I did not ask for the update I actually tried to stop it from installing and could not. If ATT decides what features the Samsung phone can use on their network so it is stupid to say it is just a Samsung issue.

ATT FORCED it into My phone.

I have been with ATT since 1989 and the lack of response to fix this is ridiculous.

I have verified verizon S5 phones that do not have this issue.

The turn off smart network does not help battery usage or the dropping wifi network issue.

This issue is not part of the Android upgrade 4.4.4. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.