The Samsung Galaxy S24
randymontanez's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Friday, April 10th, 2015 9:26 AM

Galaxy S5 Active android lollipop

Why hasn't AT&T released lollipop to the Galaxy S5 Active yet???
The released it to the S5 which has the same internal specs as the S5 Active, so their is no reason that makes any sense to me why they haven't done it yet

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

Android lollipop is now available for the Galaxy S5 Active! Visit here for complete details.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

The S5 active and the S5 have a few minor differences that have to be addresses in the code.  Mainly the hardware coding for the active button above the volume and the physical hardware buttons... And the lack of the fingerprint scanner on the front. 

There are a few other details, like some of the apps included with the Active that weren't with the regular. It's not much, but it's enough they can't use the same code for both.

Usually, we get the updates within a couple of days, maybe a week.  (Fingers crossed.)

If not, the one year warrenty is up in June, so I'll probably do what I always do... Dump the stock rom and go to Cyanogen Mod and be free of all the AT&T bloatware. 

AT&T Roms run over 1Gb... CM 12.1 (Android 5.1) is coming in under 300Mb (I think).  Hows that for bloat?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

@wolfmanrobby
While what you say makes sense when AT&T released kit Kat 4.4.4, it was released to both the S5 and S5 Active pretty much on the same day I believe.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

My fiance and I didn't get our S5 Active 4.4.4 updates until about 2 or 3 days later. That being said, according to this, Rodgers in Canada updated their S5's to Lollipop a while back, but they haven't updated their S5 active's yet either. Other than the Bloatware and radio bands, it's almost identical to the AT&T. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/04/09/galaxy-lollipop-update-details/ I found that worrisome. I may be showing my age here, but I used to use the Rodgers BlackBerry OS updates instead of waiting for the AT&T one's. That caused me to do a little digging. Looks like Samsung didn't start putting out the ROM's for the S5 active until less than a month ago... http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5_active_is_receiving_android_50_too-news-11440.php That makes me wonder if it may be another month or two before we see it pass through AT&T and their bloatware process.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

@wolfmanrobby
You're right. Kit kat 4.4.4 was released on 2/3/15 to the S5 and then 2/9 to the S5 active.
So I can be okay with that if it's the same now, about a week apart. I would be upset if it took another month or 2

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

9 years ago

Lets hope it doesnt take that long.  I remember back when 4.3 came out for S4.  Took another month and a half for S4 Active to get it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

True, but there were more hardware differences between the S4 & S4 active than there are between the S5 versions.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

@wolfmanrobby
Agreed. There really aren't any differences (with the exception of a few minor ones as you pointed out previously) between the S5 and S5 Active, so I'm hopefully we'll get lollipop soon on the S5 active
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.