The Samsung Galaxy S24
Mr_Spork's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Sunday, July 10th, 2016 2:39 PM

Galaxy Note 5 WiFi connectivity.

My phone updated to Android 6.0.1 a couple of weeks ago and now it seems like the device will not maintain a stable wifi connection in my home. It might be due to the AT&T Smart wifi app going into sleep mode at will. Before I uninstall it, i wanted to try  and determine if the issue stems from the app or the device itself. thnx!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

I'm sorry to report that the popup message did in fact return. But I was able to determine after speaking with AT&T tech support, that the AT&T Smart WiFi app was in fact the culprit that had taken control of wifi connectivity. Once that was disabled, everything was working properly. I wasn't even thinking about an app controling the wifi. Anyway, thanks for all your help and patience.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

Reset network settings and sign in to your wifi again and see if that fixes it.

I've noticed my GS6 in disconnected from wifi when I wake it.

Android 6 optimizes your battery and will turn anything that uses battery off when the phone goes to sleep.  That seems to include wifi.  The only time wifi remains active while in sleep mode is when plugged in to power.  

It it has not caused any increase in data usage on my phone.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

I reset the settings and logged back into my wifi so we'll see how that behaves. I also found the setting that keeps the device from closing the wifi when it goes into sleep mode, so that should be helpful. Also, when it connects to my wifi it keeps asking for this permission. Any idea what

up with that?

SmartSelectImage_2016-07-10-10-20-01.jpg

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

That's new.  Is your wifi access a mobile hotspot?

Usually a public hotspot or wifi requires you agree to terms of service, but not a password.  Home wifi requires only a pass key.   

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Hi Liz!

nope, this is my home wifi so it has the pass key. don't know why it's doing all that.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

Weird.  I've only seen that with public wifi.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Same here. This only started after the last update to the OS so all i can do is throw my hands up! lol! Thanks for the feed back! Smiley Happy

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Is it possible you're connecting to your router's "guest" subnet (seperate network SSID from your regular WiFi, but often close to the same name, depending)?

Some routers or Access Points, by default, have a setting that requires a guest user to "agree to terms" and/or use a different passkey, after the initial connection is established.

For example, I can configure a bunch of different, isolated user groups on my APs, and use different passkeys for each group (mine are more of a commercial type AP), really handy if you want to use them, probably not so great if you're not into network topology/complexity and permissioning...

@David606 I saw your link to using the old DHCP method, which would make sense, *if* they were able to connect, but not able to get an internet connection, but not necessarily in this case, IMO.

To me, it sure looks like you've connected to a different subnet...

Edit: I should mention, I've helped maybe 4-5 people with this on MM(6.0) now, which on some phones must nuke your WiFi settings.  Almost all were connecting to the incorrect network after upgrade.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Mr_Spork wrote:

I reset the settings and logged back into my wifi so we'll see how that behaves. I also found the setting that keeps the device from closing the wifi when it goes into sleep mode, so that should be helpful.

One more thing, I thought I should mention.  You should re-enable  the WiFi sleep, unless you specifically want it to ping your router for things like email, websites that refresh, etc, when your phone is "asleep".  
Some people like this, others hate that it can pretty dramatically reduce their battery life.

Either way, it should have *zero effect* on whether or not it can re-connect to your router(any router), once you get past this issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.