Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

Tutor

Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

I bought new samsung s9 phone yesterday, paid for my new samsung s9 in full. It is locked with att. When I put my imei number it is saying " Looks like the IMEI number you entered doesn’t match an AT&T device. Try entering it again. Dial *#06# on your mobile phone to make sure you have the right IMEI.". When I call the att support line they are saying in their internal system this IMEI number is showing up but in the portal it is saying a different message. The customer service through phone saying they will not be able to do anything if the portal not working to show this imei number. I paid for this brand new phone in full and I am stuck. Can you help to resolve it

Tags (1)
5,961 Views
Message 1 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock


@senthilag wrote:

I bought new samsung s9 phone yesterday, paid for my new samsung s9 in full. It is locked with att. When I put my imei number it is saying " Looks like the IMEI number you entered doesn’t match an AT&T device. Try entering it again. Dial *#06# on your mobile phone to make sure you have the right IMEI.". When I call the att support line they are saying in their internal system this IMEI number is showing up but in the portal it is saying a different message. The customer service through phone saying they will not be able to do anything if the portal not working to show this imei number. I paid for this brand new phone in full and I am stuck. Can you help to resolve it


where did you buy the phone?  You also have to wait 14days from purchase to unlock the phone.  Or you can pay a unlock site to unlock it now.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 18
Tutor

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

Thank you for the quick response. I bought from samsung.com. I did not pay fully to wait for 14 days. I will be returning the phone to Samsung today and both of you loosing a customer today / may be life time. But I really appreciate your quick response which I did got get clearly when I called ATT customer service  and spent good amount of time and neither from samsung after spending even an hour. This support line is great but unfortunately you lost me for ever.

Message 3 of 18
ACE - Sage

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

@senthilag

Why is this ATT fault?  You could have purchased the unlocked version.  You knew you bought a locked phone.  This one is on you 

As for the 14 Day return period..   its universal for all carriers that lock phones.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 18
Tutor

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

Why is this ATT fault? - This is because of your portal issue (Samsung system shows it is att IMEI number but your portal showing it is not att device) - Took screen shot of that as well by the samsung agent for escalation. [I found about this issue even in this forum some where that this is a portal issue]. Regarding 14 days locking period, it was not mentioned when I bought it and I did not sign up for any agreement of such when I paid it in full in samsung site. Either way I am learning more and this could be information for many over here. Yes you are right, I could have bought a unlocked phone for little bit more price. This whole process made me work for more hours with no resolution. When the problem becomes public, I see more information coming out. It is good for all. Once again thank you for your explanation.

Message 5 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock


@senthilag wrote:

Why is this ATT fault? - This is because of your portal issue (Samsung system shows it is att IMEI number but your portal showing it is not att device) - Took screen shot of that as well by the samsung agent for escalation. [I found about this issue even in this forum some where that this is a portal issue]. Regarding 14 days locking period, it was not mentioned when I bought it and I did not sign up for any agreement of such when I paid it in full in samsung site. Either way I am learning more and this could be information for many over here. Yes you are right, I could have bought a unlocked phone for little bit more price. This whole process made me work for more hours with no resolution. When the problem becomes public, I see more information coming out. It is good for all. Once again thank you for your explanation.


Like I said pay 30 bucks to have the phone unlocked on a 3rd party site..  

 

You bought a ATT s9 for more than a few buck cheaper..  More like 200...  Samsung does not have to disclose ATT's terms on their website...  They should but they don't...  I also know samsung is being slow to report to ATT that those device were sold....  You can be honest you never planned to be a ATT customer in the first place.  You were just trying to save a buck and I get that.

 

Capture.PNG

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 18
ACE - Sage

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

@senthilag  Had it occurred to you there is a catch for the discount?  

FYI carrier branded phones can be carrier unlocked, but will never work well on another carrier.  Can’t stress that enough - NEVER work as well....

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 18
Tutor

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

To be honest Yes and No.

Yes - trying to save bucks.

No - Not yet decided on which network I have to go and wanted to switch when required since the biggest cost is the data plan.

 

I did ask the samsung agent before I placed the order saying am I liable for anything if I pay off in full? and will att unlock the device for me immediately? they said yes and att is liable for it if you pay it in full. This changed only in this forum not with the agents chat and phone from both samsung and att and neither in the agreement. There is nothing to be defensive here. As a customer I spent lot of time in this and frustrated as the information was not shared with me when I placed the order and when I looked up for help through dedicated channels of chat and phone. This is good forum to bring the information out. Thank you once again this may be helpful for people trying to buy the phone from various storefronts.

 

Message to All: When you buy products of att from other storefronts / websites including samsung.com and pay the full money to get the phone, it cannot be unlocked for minimum of 14 days. As per the att agent, the phone can be unlocked however from 3rd party sites  (I do not have experience in this and I am not sure how secured it is as well (disclaimer))

Message 8 of 18
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎04-27-2018 12:45 PM

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

@senthilag

The 14 day requirement is with all carriers, not just ATT. Once you cannot return the phone, then it can be unlocked.  Unlocking is permanent, and they don’t want you to return an unlocked phone when they sold a locked one.  

Glad the forum was informative for you.  It sure is for me

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 9 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock


@senthilag wrote:

As per the att agent, the phone can be unlocked however from 3rd party sites  (I do not have experience in this and I am not sure how secured it is as well (disclaimer))


The reply you got suggesting a 3rd party unlock was from another customer, not an ATT agent. This is a customer to customer forum, we are all customers, not agents.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 18
Contributor

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

The 14 day period only applies to upgrades.  This clearly isn't an upgrade.  The phone was purchased out right from the manufacturer and paid in full.

The Samsung S9 has the exact same hardware regardless of the carrier to which it is locked (or unlocked).  

To say "FYI carrier branded phones can be carrier unlocked, but will never work well on another carrier.  Can’t stress that enough - NEVER work as well...." is simply not true, and is very misleading.  The phone can be flashed with unlocked firmware and/or the firmware of the intended carrier.  It will be identical to a new phone intended for the carrier of which it is activated.

 

I understand that everyone here is a customer, but spouting out misconceptions without any reference doesn't help anyone.

Poorly trained AT&T reps will (and do) use these posts as reference material, as wrong as that is.

Message 11 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock


@SlashMD wrote:

The 14 day period only applies to upgrades.  This clearly isn't an upgrade.  The phone was purchased out right from the manufacturer and paid in full.

The Samsung S9 has the exact same hardware regardless of the carrier to which it is locked (or unlocked).  

To say "FYI carrier branded phones can be carrier unlocked, but will never work well on another carrier.  Can’t stress that enough - NEVER work as well...." is simply not true, and is very misleading.  The phone can be flashed with unlocked firmware and/or the firmware of the intended carrier.  It will be identical to a new phone intended for the carrier of which it is activated.

 

I understand that everyone here is a customer, but spouting out misconceptions without any reference doesn't help anyone.

Poorly trained AT&T reps will (and do) use these posts as reference material, as wrong as that is.


@SlashMD

 

actually the 14 days is true...  I tried it with a fully paid phone bought from the ATT store.  After 14 days it would let me unlock the device.  

 

As for flashing different versions of the 965u or 965u1 you have to watch the bootloader number most carriers are at v2 while the u1 unlocked is still at v1...  Really all one has to flash anymore to change carriers is the userdata files which has all the carrier bloat and settings for the most part.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 18
Contributor

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

There have been hundreds of reports from S9/S9+ owners who were able to unlock their phone immediately. These phones are being purchased directly from Samsung due to their recent promo price for AT&T carrier locked phones. 

 

AT&T’s stated policy is only applicable in the case of an upgrade. What they do internally is an entirely different matter. 

Message 13 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock


@SlashMD wrote:

There have been hundreds of reports from S9/S9+ owners who were able to unlock their phone immediately. These phones are being purchased directly from Samsung due to their recent promo price for AT&T carrier locked phones. 

 

AT&T’s stated policy is only applicable in the case of an upgrade. What they do internally is an entirely different matter. 


Like I said Samsung for some reason is slow to report the phones as sold...  I have seen more than a 100 reports of folks that cant get the phone unlocked...  Most are just using a 3rd party unlock site and paying the 30 bucks to get the phone unlocked.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 18
Scholar

Re: Fully paid brand new att phone not able to unlock

Sorry to disappoint you, but I was one of those who bought my ATT Galaxy S9+ ($915 paid in full) directly from Samsung.com back in early March. I had to wait just a little more than 14days (after I dropped my sim in it), because Samsung didn't let AT&T know that I had paid in full. In fact, when I submitted my unlock request it was originally approved then a follow-up message came back telling me that they couldn't verify the phone's origin. In other words, the particular ATT phone had not been reported by Samsung as being an ATT configured device. I contacted ATT tech support and they opened a trouble ticket to find out what was going on. It took about two-three days for Samsung to eventually send the purchase/phone information to ATT. Once that happened, ATT emailed me the code. I didn't have to resubmit the request. ATT provided me with great support. They even called me back a couple days later to ask if I was able to unlock my phone.  Yes, I could have gotten the much cheaper unlocked version, but I didn't want to lose some of the carrier features like VoLTE, Advanced messaging, HD voice, Visual VM, etc. All it took was a little patience my end. 

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support