Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Duplicate text messages ...

Contributor

Duplicate text messages ...

So, my friend and I both have Samsung Galaxy S4s on AT&T, we're not on the same plan, and for the past week or so, our phones will keep repeating sending the past messages that we sent. Just now I literally got the same SINGLE EMOJI sent to me 8 times in a row in perfect 2 minute intervals. He says he doesn't see it, but that sometimes my phone will do the same thing to him. It'll normally stop at like 3 or 4, but sometimes it just keeps going and it's so infuriating. lol. I'm just wondering if there's a reason this is happening? I heard sometimes it's related to shake activated apps like Flashlight so I uninstalled that but it actually happened worse after I did that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 37
Ambassador

Re: Duplicate text messages ...

ehynnie,

Hello. Let's try a couple of things to see if we can correct this. 

Start with a soft reset by removing the battery for about 2 minutes and then restarting the phone.

Next, clear the cache for the app by going to Menu>Settings>More>Application manager>All>Messaging and clear cache. Tell us if this helps.

Thanks,

Samsung Support ^Kov

Message 2 of 37
Contributor

This happening to me, too.  It seems to happen most often when receiving texts from iPhone users.  The current occurrence has not been resolved by resetting the phone and clearing the cache.  I've received over 100 copies of the same text.  Meanwhile, I don't appear to be receiving bona fide texts that should be coming in.  It's as if they are blocked by the repeated text.

Message 3 of 37
Contributor

I have been dealing with this issue for well over a year and have also noticed that it usually messages coming from iPhone users. Until now I couldn't find anyone else who was able to narrow it to iPhone. I'm guessing the problem must be coming from that phone.

Message 4 of 37
Contributor

To have experienced this issue but for those who have this as a chronic issue, are your phones rooted? I'm constantly being baraged by opinions saying the rooting caused this issue. I have cleared the cache and done multiple resets on.my phone including hard and soft as well as a factory reset and the issue persists. If AT&T could develop and secondary app market app for cell phones that might be able to bypass this issue. My entire family believes it has something to do with the delivery report not being returned properly. And therefore causing the servers to resend the message. I have this issue indescriminately between android devices windows devices IOS devices and even devices on my own plan.
Message 5 of 37
Tutor

This has happened to me 3 times. The first time it happened, customer service said they would delete the message in the network. The second time it happened, customer service said they had never heard of this before. So I threw away my phone and went back to my 8-year-old (dumb) feature phone. Now it is happening again, a third time, on a dumb phone. I'm not sure that all 3 times the sender was using an iPhone, but I think that is likely true. (I know for sure the second and third time the sender was using an iPhone. NOTE: the original post from ehynnie did *not* involve iPhones.) But I do know that all 3 times the sender was sending one text to multiple recipients. That may be a clue for somebody at AT&T researching this.

Message 6 of 37
Contributor

This morning the text sent to me was from a new iPhone, came in eight sections and now has repeated the sixth section ten times from 7:24 to 8:31 am. I called this person and she said she had not sent another text message during that time. I turned off my LG 3 phone and turned it back on after 5 minutes. Has been on over 5 minutes and no texts, yet.

Message 7 of 37
Contributor

It's been happening to me since yesterday, my cache has been cleared several times. The messages are from both android and iPhone users. What's up, how can I fix this?
Message 8 of 37
Contributor

This has been happening to me too! I'm getting the same text in about 20 minute intervals or sometimes 2 minute intervals... Today is started with a second person, both of these people have iphones... It's driving me crazy! One is an "lol" and the other is a typo from my mom "ode". Over and over and over... Help! I'm going to clear message cache and see if that helps but this has been going on for days. I actually told my friend that I am blocking her phone number to make the madness stop

I have an LG g3 and it's not rooted btw

Message 9 of 37
Contributor

Go into your Application Manager under "All" find the "messages backup & sync" app and disable it.

Message 10 of 37
Contributor

I did those suggestions and it still is happening. How can this be fixed?

Message 11 of 37
Contributor

I don't have "messages backup & sync" on my phone...?

Message 12 of 37
Contributor

Same thing with my at&t phone.  Nearly all text messages sent from an iphone will duplicate.  I have received 45 copies of the same message over 3 days.  This is happening multiple times per week.

Message 13 of 37
Contributor

That is exactly what happened on my phone.  The text came in multiple parts out of sequence, then only 1 section has been repeated OVER 45 times now in 3 days.  I am ready to move to another provider.

Message 14 of 37
Contributor

My husband and I are having the same problem.  I try to send a message but it repeats the same message over, and over.  I can type TEST and the same message from 3 days ago is the one that is sent.  I see his messages just fine, and i can send messages to other people just fine.  It's ONLY between me and him.  I'm trying everything you guys mentioned and hope it works.

Message 15 of 37
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support