For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
SamsungBrettS7's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 7:50 PM

Cannot send group text message, Galaxy S7

Ever since this new addition of Advanced Messaging, I've been unable to reply to one of my ongoing group texts. I mainly get an error stating that it's unable to send the message and gives me the option to resend, edit or delete. Sometimes I get a spinning wheel, but mostly it's the former. I've gone through and deleted the message app cache and data, and that works temporarily to quickly get out a message, but in the end, it goes right back to giving me a problem. I get the Advanced Message into window and then past that I get a notification pointing to the group chat I'm having a problem with and says "this group is advanced message capable." And that's it. After that shows up, I'm no longer able to message there anymore.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point I've been searching the internet for hours. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

This is EXACTLY the problem I've been having lately!!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

This is EXACTLY the problem I've been having for the past few weeks!! O_O

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

There are messages in the grouping that I can't lose and you want me to delete it and start a new message thread to the group?  That is the dumbest thing I've read on here.  Why would you update something and then make us lose important information?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

This happened to a group text of mine also.  I had to delete the 2 yr thread that I had with them and start over. I noticed that prior to not being able to send messages, there was a group icon that appeared on the "conversations" page.  This icon is not attached to any other group conversation that I have. I found that I was able to send photos, but not text. And then I "left" the conversation and was told that I had to be invited again to join in on the conversation.  How the heck does one get invited back into a conversation?  

I find this option of deleting the thread and starting over unacceptable and there must be a different way to continue.  Unfortunately, the group icon appeared on another random group conversation that I have (not all of them), and I do NOT want to delete.  There MUST be a fix! 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@enieder To begin with, if you have critical conversations, there are apps, such as "SMS Backup and Restore" (now by SyncTech, they were bought again), which can back up ALL your conversations, or at least it has always backed up all my SMS/MMS threads.

To get "re-invited" into the group conversation, you just need someone to send a text, to the same group, even a simple: "test-to-re-invite-so-and-so" message will do.

I suspect you're going in/out of Advanced Messaging (the messaging proprietary solution that ATT has for Samsung devices, exclusively).  This can cause problems, particularly with group message threads, because they are handled differently, depending on which interface is used.

Do you know if this has been enabled/disabled, recently?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I did actually have someone send a text to the group message and it did
nothing to get me reinvited.

I never go into advanced messaging. This occurred without me going into
setting. In fact, I don't ever go into settings so I can say that nothing
was recently enabled or disabled.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

No, I am not going in and out of Advanced Messaging. This started with the
last update to messages or whatever they pushed out. Because no one thought
this through, I have had to delete threads to answer clients and staff
messages while traveling. Backing up is not efficient nor helpful. It is
actually more cumbersome than it needs to be. I think someone should have
thought this through before screwing this up for everyone.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@rbelleville Advanced Messaging is part of the Samsung messaging app, itself.  I think (not sure on this one, I've never owned an AT&T Samsung device) it's enabled, by default, or through (ATT) provisioning, if your device is ATT-branded.

Not sure what changes got pushed down recently, I use the "base Android - Google Messaging" app, for my messaging.  It's really stable, given that it's the messaging platform that most have been based on.

It does support RCS, but AT&T doesn't, so using it on AT&T will not allow "Advanced Messaging functionality", but it does work, well, and consistently.  If AT&T ever adds support for RCS/Universal-Profile, it will have what's essentially a much better, and more stable version of "Advanced Messaging", maybe, someday...

Anyway, I'm not sure where to point you to, from here.  I'm just a user, like yourself, and as such, I've steered pretty (FAR) clear of the "Samsung monolith".  Even my Samsung tablet runs almost all non-Samsung apps/constructs, for similar reasons.

I'd contact CS, if you still can't get "back into" those threads/conversations, as mentioned, simply by having someone loop you back in.  It'll probably take some time on the phone, but they should be able to help you sort out that side of things, and get those messaging threads working again (they may need to re-provision something, from the carrier side of things).

I was only suggesting backing things up so that you'd not lose "messaging history", or similar, in the process of getting things straightened out here.  

Good luck...

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@enieder wrote:
I did actually have someone send a text to the group message and it did
nothing to get me reinvited.

I never go into advanced messaging. This occurred without me going into
setting. In fact, I don't ever go into settings so I can say that nothing
was recently enabled or disabled.

@enieder Replying to this one,separately, just to clarify.

If ATT/Samsung have enabled this, by default, through provisioning or otherwise, you'd be "using Advanced Messaging without realizing it", unless you purposely went in, and disabled it (which it sounds like you didn't do).

IMHO, the ATT/Samsung proprietary "Advanced Messaging" is a bit of a mess, with good intentions (attempts to solve things like text-over-WiFi, larger texting groups, and more features).

When it works, it's probably good-great, but when it doesn't, it's a "hairball" to unwind, to put it nicely...

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

pgrey, thank you. I'm just so frustrated that they would do this to users.
Just know I was not directing my frustration towards you. Someone should
have just thought this through on their end.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.