For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
cjekanem's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 9:49 AM

Can't make calls on unlocked at&t tablet

I am a non at&t customer and recently purchased a new s galaxy e on eBay and it came with unlock codes which I have used successfully. On inserting my Airtel SIM card, I cannot make calls because the number sync page pops up asking for my user Id and password. I live in Nigeria.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Though I can't authoritatively prove this since I don't have the Samsung, I believe the answer is "No."  The common tablets that have native LTE connectivity which are branded for the major carriers aren't intended to be used as "phablets" with full phone capabilities.  My belief is that all unlocked AT&T branded tablet variants will function in the same way, regardless of manufacturer.  That is, if you insert a SIM from any carrier (including one from AT&T), you'll get a data connection only.  If you happen to have an AT&T SIM from a valid mobile phone account, you should be able to create a "NumberSync" account and use that proprietary app for calls utilizing the data connection.  If you want to use pure android, you'll likely have to go with a "phablet" being careful to get one that supports the LTE bands that your carrier supports.  There are a few by Huewai and a couple of other manufacturers, but beware of inexpensive "generic" devices unless you've confirmed their LTE compatibility.  I've bought a couple that provided phone capabilities (2G), but didn't have data connections due to LTE band incompatibility and were therefore useless, at least in the US.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@jjv8000

NO.   Asked and answered.  

As written earlier, tablets are not phones and cannot call without using a 3rd party app like the ones I listed earlier.  These apps do not use the existing ‘phone number’ on the tablet, but assign a number.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I also think that depending on the carrier if you don't use some sort of Proxy server,  you will get file shaping issues where the provider will know something is up and stagger upload to degrade your VOIP (Voice over IP service) type service.  They want you to use there voice service, but not anyone else's over the data connection.  I have no proof of this but its the general feel I get when speedtesting or doing other online things.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I just bougt a Galaxy Tab S6 and Samsung just told me (and showed me) where the feature to make phonecalls using my phone (connected on the same wifi network) was disabled on my Note  10. They informed me that Att disables that feature. Why does At&t want to block me from doing on my samsung device what they allow on an apple device???  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@samleb wrote:

I just bougt a Galaxy Tab S6 and Samsung just told me (and showed me) where the feature to make phonecalls using my phone (connected on the same wifi network) was disabled on my Note  10. They informed me that Att disables that feature. Why does At&t want to block me from doing on my samsung device what they allow on an apple device???  

Because ATT wants to sell you the Cellular version of the tablet when it comes out in the next few months and make you use numbersync.  ATT will do anything to make a buck.  Also Samsung needs the carriers to sell there phones..  Guess what Apple does not..  Apple is not afraid to tell a carrier to shove it.  Also apple does not allow carriers to pick and chose features on the phones like Samsung does.  There are things missing on each note 10 series phone on Verizon ATT and Tmobile.  This is the one feature besides game center ATT had removed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.