04-19-2019 2:07 PM
Incoming and outgoing active calls display country code, area code, and 7 digit phone number w/o contact name even though the phone number appears with contact name in the contacts app.
The feature used to work correctly on my Samsung j7 until recently. Advice appreciated.
Solved by: Go to Solution.
04-20-2019 5:35 AM
Here's what I've tried to do so far. Go to Settings > Apps and find AT&T Call protect. Then go to Storage and Delete data and cache. Go back and force stop. Try calling your phone and see what happens. I have disabled Call protect altogether because it never worked and because it is based on Hiya, it has terrible reputation. Hope it works.
05-03-2019 11:59 AM
Go to Settings > Apps and find AT&T Call protect. Then go to Storage and Delete data and cache. Go back and force stop
I have a Galaxy J7 and this issue has been a problem on my phone for weeks. I tried the steps above except the last step says to "force stop". That option is greyed out for me.
The problem persists.
05-03-2019 2:30 PM
I restarted my phone and then disabled the AT&T Call Protect application. For now it seems to have worked.
A weird thing happened in this process that may help someone else that has this issue. I called Samsung to get help on this issue - because apparently the AT&T support line person I talked to had no clue how to fix this issue. The Samsung support person asked me to open settings> go to app> and then he said scroll down and look for "Call Protect" app under the "C" section of your apps. I found the app as he said, under the title "Call Protect". After disabling the app I then opened settings> apps, again to go to "Call Protect" to see what it said, but it was no longer listed under the same name. The app was no longer visible under the "C" section of my apps list. Instead it was renamed and was listed at the top of my apps under "AT&T Call Protect". I do not know why or how the app name changed.
To disable the Call Protect app I went to settings and found "Call Protect" listed in my apps. I opened it and chose the Disable option. It said something about "Disabling the app could cause other apps to not work" but I chose "ok" and disabled the app anyway.
For now the caller ID seems to work again.
I do not understand how the help line at AT&T could not have been updated on the fix for this issue. It would probably be wise to send a memo to the AT&T wireless support staff that explains how to fix this issue. Is it that complicated to inform the the support people about known fixes? If it is then your support system is flawed...badly flawed.
All the individuals calling in for a fix will be told to contact Samsung when in actuality it is a garbage application that AT&T put on my phone that was the problem.
05-03-2019 8:20 PM
Ok, first let me explain why the name changed. Preinstalled apps sometimes have a different name, even though we are able to disable preinstalled apps, we do need to be careful about it, and make sure we don't disable essential app.
Second, Samsung is aware of this problem, because Samsung allows AT&T to use its AT&T Call Protect, based on Hiya. I used to love that app, until it developers/management got greedy and tried to charge you for every premium service you don't need. I hope Samsung ends partnership with Hiya until Hiya fix all their service problems. Stop blaming AT&T and Samsung. Hiya needs to fix their services, or go away.
Visit these related resourcesView New to AT&T!