For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Brooke37Kevin's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, March 12th, 2015 5:08 AM

no record of IMEI found? Cant Unlock my phone.

I have just purchased a at&t s5 active off craigslist. When trying to unlock it through your site the site says that there is no record of the IMEI on file? I would like to resolve this issue as soon as possible seeing that I now currently have no phone and cannot afford to purchase another. I have four children and cannot afford to spend the extra money. Thank you in advance and I look forward to your response.Kevin

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

If the phone is new,, it has not been activated on AT&T. Unlock request must go through portal as "Not an AT&T customer"
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820

If you purchased a used phone, you should have bought one for your carrier. Only the original owner can unlock the phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This is not true for I have bought at least three at&t iPhone's USED and
have had them unlocked for t-mobile. I am sure there is a way to figure
this out. So unless you work for AT&T and have a solution please refrain
from responding. Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Yep!!! That doesn't  work, just tried it, still doing the same thing...

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

What lizdance40 said " if you purchased a used phone, you should have bought one for your carrier. Only the original owner can unlock the phone." Is entirely and wholly untrue.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Hi there, I am currently having this issue. I wish to unlock my iPhone 6s that was given to me by my aunt. It was her daughters first but she got a new phone and they kindly gave me the old one. When I go to submit a unlock request under not AT&T customer it claims my Imei isn't correct. It will not let me do anything further. Help please

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

What Liz is saying is very true because a used phone that isn't paid off, on an account in collections, lost/stolen, had an insurance claim filed, etc will not be unlocked. You're risking getting a phone that will never be unlocked buying third party and whoever says otherwise is not giving you the full picture. No one at AT&T can divulge details of an account that isn't yours and they'll never be able to look up a phone's contract/installment status. IMEI status is for that point in time only and is subject to change. If you buy a newer phone online through eBay or whatever and it eventually gets blacklisted or you can never unlock it, there isn't anything that can be done because only the original account owner can have that done. Doesn't matter if it was never activated (unless bought outright) too. Because the installment plan agreement is listed in the billing system under the original number, it does not follow a new number. 

@Basiclady You need to check and see if that iPhone 6s was ever replaced under AppleCare because those phones have IMEIs which are not recognized by the system. You also need to make sure that phone is fully paid off before trying to unlock. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I actually went out to Walmart about two hours ago and bought the straighttalk bring your own phone sim kit which came with AT&T compatible sims and it worked. The phone isn't actually locked at all, it's just clinging to whatever network it was connected to last until you get a new one or deactivate that one. As far as mine goes I mean. May not be the same for all iPhone 6s's but I have noticed that the iPhone 6s is the main phone not processing properly for unlock requests.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@David606 What do you mean that AppleCare replaced phones are not recognized by the system?  I've never had a problem with the few I've had replaced (plus I've got clutzy user on my plan who changes out with AppleCare at least once a year).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

This is in fact NOT true at all! I have my daughters PAID OFF Galaxy S7 from AT&T, which she did in fact use for 6 months, and I want to use it on T-Mobile, and AT&T says there is NO record of the IMEI. The phone boots with the AT&T logo, and I have conducted three (3) IMEI searches, all stating that it's in fact an AT&T phone.

Somehow this was marked as a solution... but it clearly is not. Do you have any other recommendations?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.