The Samsung Galaxy S24
Molson82's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, September 2nd, 2017 4:37 AM

Unlocked Note 8 vs Branded

Will an unlocked Note 8 have all the same features & capabilities as an AT&T branded phone... minus the bloatware of course?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I don't know about the Note, but I just bought a Galaxy s8 (unlocked) and am connected with ATT.

Here's what I know, but this is by no means a complete list of problems with ATT and using an unlocked phone!

ATT won't allow WIFI calling unless you are using an att Branded phone. END OF STORY. This is how they try and force you to buy their ultra-expensive version of literally the SAME PHONE!!

If you have a microcell, you can use an unlocked phone on it, as an "authorized user"  and you need an ATT BRANDED phone to be "registered" to the microcell as the primary phone .  I learned the hard way.

I didn't know there was a difference between "authorized user" and "registered."  I thought they were all just "connected" to the microcell.  

😞

I hope this helps.

I got rid of a lot of samsung bloatware before I began customizing my phone and adding apps.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I just got an unlocked note 8 and lte won't work hspa only... Reprovisioned Sim and updated apns and still nothing

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Spaine81  What version did you get and from where?

@KateyFam.  You need a postpaid plan for the microcell, not an ATT branded phone.  I have one and it was registered under the line with my Pixel on it.   The microcell has to be registered on a postpaid plan.   It can then work with ANY ATT phone, post or pre paid.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Spaine81,

Did you order the Note 8 unlocked from U.S. Samsung.com ?

When your unlocked note 8 will not work with AT&T 4G LTE, are you only seeing 4G on your phone (without the LTE) ?

Thanks

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Spaine81,

Did you order the Note 8 unlocked from U.S. Samsung.com ?  (model # 

SM-N950UZKAXAA)

When your unlocked note 8 will not work with AT&T 4G LTE, are you only seeing 4G on your phone (without the LTE) ?

So, what download and upload speed you get when using SpeedTest.

Thanks

alex

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have started experiencing the same issue on my Note 8 (which was purchased in India) - shows only H+.

No 4G or LTE.

This is so ANNOYING coming from a big service provider like AT&T.

If it is a 4G enabled phone, 4G should work - period !

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@bodhidg1983 wrote:

I have started experiencing the same issue on my Note 8 (which was purchased in India) - shows only H+.

No 4G or LTE.

This is so ANNOYING coming from a big service provider like AT&T.

If it is a 4G enabled phone, 4G should work - period !

@bodhidg1983

thats if the phone has the right LTE bands to work on ATT...  Not all phones carry the usa LTE bands...  Then there is the problem with the IMEI number that I am sure att system thinks is 3g only.  2nd is the fact that phone was never made to work in the usa.  There is a reason samsung uses qualcomm snapdragon SOCs in the USA and China and in the rest of the world they use there own Exynos SOC.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have a Snapdragon based Samsung Hong Kong Note 8 - model: SM-N9500, International Hong Kong, factory unlocked, initially no carrier. It has two SIM Card slots, second one is hybrid SIM or SD Card and it has 256 GB internal ROM Memory. My phone was initially given a fake generated IMEI from AT&T until I had AT&T certify that the Samsung Hong Kong - Global Samsung not Samsung U.S.A.  registered the IMEI. So for the first week or so I was connecting with 4G LTE with the fake AT$T generated IMEI. After I was registered with Samsung Hong Kong with the IMEI numbers from the back sticker on my phone my service dropped to 3G and sometimes 3G H+. Obviously, as I had verified before purchase the Band and Mghz are correct for both AT&T as well as T-Mobile on each of their Networks for 4G LTE.  So it seems since I was able to receive 4G LTE on this phone for the first week with the fake generated AT&T IMEI, and immediately after the switch to the correct IMEI I was lowered to 3G / 3G H+ proves that there is nothing wrong with the phone - it's AT&T punishing me for having an unlocked International Hong Kong Note 8 and not their AT&T phone.  Since now I can only receive 3G on AT&T with my correct IMEI I tested a T-Mobile SIM at a company T-Mobile physical store - with the tech support linking me to setting the Settings / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names / a new option network access point with settings to what matches a Galaxy S6 for 4G Network on T-Mobile. It worked, at least within the T-Mobile store with the test to receive 4G.  Previously also with the standard Access Point - not using the T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Access Point manually created,  I was only able to get 3G on the T-Mobile SIM inserted for the test.  So now that it seems I can receive at least 4G on the Hong Kong Note 8 Snapgragon phone I will be switching carriers to T-Mobile. I still don't understand why both AT&T and T-Mobile have this issue on my phone with 4G LTE???

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I am experiencing the same issue.  ATT support won't help or can't get pass through first responders.  I got 4G but not 4G LTE.  Max download speed is stuck at less than 1.5Mbps (another phone same location gets LTE, 20 Mbps).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.