For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Kmckelvey's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, May 19th, 2018 12:25 AM

Stolen phone insurance scam

I purchased a phone on Craigslist and it worked fine for 3 weeks. then the person reported it as stolen and claimed the insurance money. they are not responding to my inquiries or request to call att and ask them to unblock the phone.  This is clearly a scam. I have offered to return the phone but everyone keeps telling me there is nothing to do. I even asked the insurance company if they have a fraud department and was told they didn't. This is infuriating.

Has anyone had any success resolving an issue like this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

We don’t recommend Craigslist as they have no dispute policy.  

Ebay, Swappa and PayPal have a way to get your money back with their dispute process.  

Handing off in person at an ATT store is also risky, don’t do that either.  

No one can help.  You can file a police report, but it’s not going to get any attention. 

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

Nothing can really be done. When the previous owner reported it stolen on insurance, it became the property of the insurance company. They will not remove it from the black list for anybody. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I know. This is crazy! I even told the Insurance company that I had the phone and was willing to return it so they would not have to pay the claim and explained that they were being scammed. They did not care at all and did not help me. So it seems that this whole system is set up to enable someone to scam the insurance company and screw the people that are trying to remain honest. I was thinking about going to the police and making a claim since this is now a stolen phone, but didn't know if anyone had had any experience with that helping.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

Its not scamming the insurance company, its the insurance companies own policy. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

@Anonymous, I respectfully disagree. It is a scam on the insurance company since the stolen phone coverage should be used for phones that are actually stolen, not sold for personal profit.  Yes, they are inviting this sort of scam by not having a fraud department or investigating when reported fraudulent claims occur.  But that is why I am frustrated by this situation.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Kmckelvey

Asurion assumes a thief sold you the phone and the owner was an innocent victim. Good chance they were exactly that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

THAT'S WHY YOU ASK FOR A COPY OF THEIR ID AND PROOF THEY ARE THE OWNER OF THE PHONE LIKE A CELL PHONE BILL OR SALES RECEIPT ALSO MEET AT THE PHONE CARRIER STORE AND MAKE THEM REMOVE THE PHONE FROM THEIR ACCOUNT IN FRONT OF YOU. IF YOU CAN'T MEET THEM THERE TELL THEM YOU WANT TO MEET AT THE LOCAL POLICE STATION OR SUB-STATION AND CHANCES ARE IF THEY ARE A THIEF THEY WILL NOT SHOW OR DECLINE!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.