For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
ATTMobilityCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

Friday, October 23rd, 2015 4:07 PM

Software Update Installation Interrupted on Select Samsung Android 5.0 Devices

Summary

AT&T has received reports of some customers experiencing software update installation interruptions/failures when attempting to upgrade to Android 5.1 on select Samsung devices.  The device is still usable but the latest software update cannot be installed.

The following devices are affected:

• Galaxy Note 4 (N910A)
  • Galaxy S 5 (G900A)
  • Galaxy S6 active (SM-G890A)
  • Galaxy S 5 Mini (SM-G800A)

Resolution

The issue may be related to available storage memory on the device.   If clearing space does not resolve the issue, the device can be updated to the latest version of software at an AT&T DSC or Best Buy Samsung location.

To resolve the issue:

1. Clear Cached Data
  • Tap Settings > Storage > Cached data > Clear Cached data
  • Try downloading the software update again
  1. Create at least 4 to 7 GB of free storage space
    • Tap Settings > System Tab > Storage > Available Space to check current storage usage
    • Delete Unnecessary files (such as Pictures/Video/Music Files) or take advantage of the AT&T Locker to upload your photos and videos to the cloud.
    • Note: For information on backing up your device, visit com/devicehowto and look for “Backup & Restore” in the topic list
  1. Visit an AT&T Device Support Center or Best Buy location for help updating to the latest software

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Thraz123 wrote:

Clearing 6.4GB+, switching to 4G between download and update, changing the SIM card... Kudos to all for even thinking fo these things, but the need for these workarounds tells me that it's just not worth it. It would have to be a very charming update for me to try again - my phone is now at 4GB of free space and I don't want to go through the process of clearing another 3GB again. And I'm not hearing the update makes that much of a difference. 

just back the phone up with smart switch..  Then wipe it and install the update and then restore it.

Or take it to best buy and let the samsung experience center flash it for you.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I agree with Thraz123. Users should not have to jump through such hoops to update a phone's software. This is totally ridiculous. I think we all admit that AT&T screwed up with this update. We now need to see how the next one goes, if there is a next one.

About the 5.1.1 update, there is not much difference between it and 5.0, the previous one. The one thing that bothers me is that AT&T said that 5.1.1 include security updates but they don't even tell you what they are. So, is it worth it? I guess it's up to the user and how much trouble you want to go through to install this monstrosity.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

"just back the phone up with smart switch..  Then wipe it and install the update and then restore it.

Or take it to best buy and let the samsung experience center flash it for you."

That's what Glimmerman76 said. True. That's what I had to do. But a word of caution: when you restore the data to the phone, not all your apps will come back. You will have to go through your apps and download those that did not restore. Also, if you have created a Private Area with a PIN for files, pictures, music, and videos, Smart Switch does not back it up. You will lose it. I recommend you move the private area data back to the "normal" area, then back up, restore, and move again to Private Area.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

The one thing that bothers me is that AT&T said that 5.1.1 include security updates but they don't even tell you what they are

I noticed that the Stage Fright security holes were mostly fixed (but not entirely) with 5.1.1. Zimperium's StageFright Detector app shows all are fixed, except still vulnerable to CVE-2015-3876

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is so dumb.  I had to uninstall 35 apps to get this to work.  Yes like many have mentioned you need 6 freaking gigs of free space for this to work.  Not 3, not 4, yes 6 gigs of free space.  If I wasn't milking AT&T with an unlimited plan it would drive me to move my service elsewhere.  I tried it probably 10 different ways (trying to avoid deleting more than half my apps) and finally decided to start deleting apps until I hit the 6 gig mark.  That finally did it.  I have to believe AT&T introduced a bunch of bloatware inside this update, but for now I am done with this.  Good luck.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

For what it is worth - this update really wasn't that earth-shaking and I feel it was not worth the effort that I put into getting it.

That said, it is amazing how badly this release went, and the official support or help provided was embarassing.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Well, I had this issue too on a Galaxy S5 active with just under 6 gigs free space.  I deleted and moved stuff until I had just over 6 gigs free, used clean sweep type app to remove cache files, downloaded the update, turned off WiFi and Bluetooth, and ran the update.  Worked for me.

I had thought the update issue was tied to the Failed to Read Data Network or SIM card error I get when going to Call Settings, More settings to change call forwarding and the like, but that issue remains for me even after the update.  I had been told that this release fixes that issue for some.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Forgot to add that I did not unmount or remove my SD card.  YMMV

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

You have to wait 24 hours to check again. If it failed once you can't do those steps and have it go through right away. It will tell you how much time left before you can check again 

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@hondagirl24 wrote:

You have to wait 24 hours to check again. If it failed once you can't do those steps and have it go through right away. It will tell you how much time left before you can check again 

It's possible to set the date ahead to get around the 24 hour wait time. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.