ATTMobilityCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

Friday, October 23rd, 2015 4:07 PM

Software Update Installation Interrupted on Select Samsung Android 5.0 Devices

Summary

AT&T has received reports of some customers experiencing software update installation interruptions/failures when attempting to upgrade to Android 5.1 on select Samsung devices.  The device is still usable but the latest software update cannot be installed.

The following devices are affected:

• Galaxy Note 4 (N910A)
  • Galaxy S 5 (G900A)
  • Galaxy S6 active (SM-G890A)
  • Galaxy S 5 Mini (SM-G800A)

Resolution

The issue may be related to available storage memory on the device.   If clearing space does not resolve the issue, the device can be updated to the latest version of software at an AT&T DSC or Best Buy Samsung location.

To resolve the issue:

1. Clear Cached Data
  • Tap Settings > Storage > Cached data > Clear Cached data
  • Try downloading the software update again
  1. Create at least 4 to 7 GB of free storage space
    • Tap Settings > System Tab > Storage > Available Space to check current storage usage
    • Delete Unnecessary files (such as Pictures/Video/Music Files) or take advantage of the AT&T Locker to upload your photos and videos to the cloud.
    • Note: For information on backing up your device, visit com/devicehowto and look for “Backup & Restore” in the topic list
  1. Visit an AT&T Device Support Center or Best Buy location for help updating to the latest software

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

8 years ago

Hello, everyone!

As ATTMobilityCare stated:

"To resolve the issue:

1. Clear Cached Data
  • Tap Settings > Storage > Cached data > Clear Cached data
  • Try downloading the software update again

1. Create at least 4 to 7 GB of free storage space
    • Tap Settings > System Tab > Storage > Available Space to check current storage usage
    • Delete Unnecessary files (such as Pictures/Video/Music Files) or take advantage of the AT&T Locker to upload your photos and videos to the cloud.
    • Note: For information on backing up your device, visit att.com/devicehowto and look for “Backup & Restore” in the topic list
  1. Visit an AT&T Device Support Center or Best Buy location for help updating to the latest software"

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Samsung S5. This solution didn't work for me. Update failed and after that "check for update" says that my version is current : Android 5.0. build LRX21T.G900AUCU4BOF3

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Can you give us a way to remove the bloatware you guys load in that create this issue in the first place?!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

My update finally went through on 4th attempt. I rolled the date forward manually each time so that I could access ATT system. I called ATT Tech Support before final attempt made and they helped me move all pics and videos and contacts to SD card. I also removed a bunch of Apps not used or needed. I then removed SD card, turned back on, and noticed I had 5.4 G available space. The update worked! I put the SD card back in and everything is working. The issue seems to be space related. Tech Support stated the more free space the better.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

At first there wasn't enough space the I cleared some so there'd be at least 3gb and it still says there isn't enough space to download.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Try clearing the cache partition.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I have 5GB of free space. 5.0 to 5.1.1 fails to install on reboot.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Take a look at this post:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Software-Update-Installation-Interrupted-on-Select-Samsung/m-p/4331876#M9292

I visited my local Best Buy yesterday, but the Samsung rep didn't have the update file yet. I wiped my cache, set my phone clock ahead, and am trying the download again myself. I have over 7 gigs free. Fingers crossed...

Good luck to you.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Saw that post... let us know how you do with your attempt.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Update Successful Smiley LOL

Note:  I deleted both the cached files and the cache partition.

Good luck to you!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.