The Samsung Galaxy S24
sv_hyd's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 18th, 2018 12:34 AM

Samsung S8+ (SM-G955UZSAATT) doesn't work on Sprint

I bought this item from ebay.com. It's a brand new AT&T network unlocked phone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152865123626

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8+-8523.php#g955u (this shows CDMA bands)

Both Samsung and Sprint told me from the IMEI that the phone should work on Sprint network. So I went from MintSIM to Sprint. But since porting, I cannot text or call. It says "no network".

How to make my phone work on Sprint? I did a factory reset but that didn't fix anything.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Nope.  The ATT Samsung phones will not work on Sprint or Verizon.  Any CDMA is software locked.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the prompt response.

If I remove AT&T firmware and load Sprint or US Unlocked firmware, it should technically work? Or will it cause problems?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Check the bootloader's version.  It could be different and then you can't.  But yes you can replace the att software.  Did you get the phone unlocked?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Screenshot_20180417-214005.jpg

Says bootloader v1? So removing ATT and putting Sprint firmware should fix the problem you think?

Yes, I bought it unlocked, after factory reset it remained unlocked - verified with a MintSIM sim card.

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

It should work..  you won't get updates anyway without a att sim

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

UPDATE

Based on the guidance from the two users who responded to my post here, I tried the S8+ carrier switching instructions at xda-developers and was successfully able to load/replace the "SPR" (Sprint) firmware for S8+ (SM-G955U) from updato.com on my phone. The phone now detects the Sprint SIM card and everything appears to work well!! Happy to have a phone where I can switch carriers!!

PS. I used to be an AT&T customer in a group plan with friends for 10 years and really liked their service but all my friends moved to other carriers and I was forced to move as well.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Hi all,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S10+ phone from At&t and unlocked from them. I moved to Sprint as i was in my friends account, when entering IMEI to activate my Samsung S10+ it is not accepting and throwing the error as below. can you please help me out, tell me steps for removing the At& firmware and updating Sprint firmware.

"Sorry, but this phone can't be activated with Sprint service. Try to re-enter your IMEI/MEID or try another phone"

Thanks in Advance,

Manny.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

@sv_hyd @GLIMMERMAN76 @lizdance40 

Please help

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Manny_IND wrote:

Hi all,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S10+ phone from At&t and unlocked from them. I moved to Sprint as i was in my friends account, when entering IMEI to activate my Samsung S10+ it is not accepting and throwing the error as below. can you please help me out, tell me steps for removing the At& firmware and updating Sprint firmware.

"Sorry, but this phone can't be activated with Sprint service. Try to re-enter your IMEI/MEID or try another phone"

Thanks in Advance,

Manny.

This isn’t something you can force.  Your phone won’t work on Verizon or Sprint, but will on T-mobile with out converting.  

If the history of the S8 and S9 series is going to be repeated, the S10 will only be able to convert carriers AFTER it gets a new OS update.  It arrived with Pie, you would have to wait till Android Q comes.   That would be a full year away. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

Yelp this user is stuck right now.  It's to stop theft I was told but it's a software lock on the CDMA radios.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.