For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
aurias's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, May 18th, 2015 11:29 PM

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Screen/Display Issue

I was wondering if anyone else has seen what I am experiencing on my AT&T Samsung GS6 Edge. In fact, this is my 3rd GS6 Edge and all were procured from the same AT&T store. My first one had the exact same issue as my 3rd and my 2nd one had a dead pixel near the left edge of the display.

The effect is predominantly located on the bottom half of the display but there are some "stains", "marks", "specks" (not really sure what to call it) on the top half of the display as well. Out of the box, it did not have these marks and gradually they are becoming worse. In direct sunlight, it is extremely visible and almost makes it impossible to make out the screen/picture below the white/discoloration of these stains/marks. There is also a very concentrated area of these on the bottom half.
Check this out...I am beginning to wonder if I caused this? I am not quite sure. It is definitely behind the glass...

IMG_1652.jpg IMG_1653.jpg

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

samsung has horible yeld rates for hose screens.  I would return it for a regular s6.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Here are some better pictures! If I am past the AT&T 14-day return period, it is looking like I will need to RMA this unit back to Samsung then?

Anyways, this is driving me nuts.IMG_1654.jpgIMG_1654.jpg

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Should have a year warranty. I have a gs6 and have issues. They sent me a new one but don't think it works any better. Ok google doesn't work all the time. Bluetooth usually doesn't work on truck speakers when using google maps. Telephone reception is terrible. My old gs3 worked better as far as reception. I can rarely recieve a call at my apt. Driving down main street I get one tiny bar.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I also got a gs6 and I can rarely receive a call at my apt. I drive down main street in Longmont, CO and I have one tiny bar. Bluetooth rarely works over my truck speakers when using google maps. OK google works sometimes.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@rob606 wrote:

Should have a year warranty. I have a gs6 and have issues. They sent me a new one but don't think it works any better. Ok google doesn't work all the time. Bluetooth usually doesn't work on truck speakers when using google maps. Telephone reception is terrible. My old gs3 worked better as far as reception. I can rarely recieve a call at my apt. Driving down main street I get one tiny bar.

ok google does not work all the time because s voice is on the phone.  Disable s voice and google now should work like a charm.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

I'm finding that there were numerous Samsung S6 Edge problems and I truly regret buying this device.    The same problems are in the newly announced, larger S6 Edge+.  Now that the S6 Edge+ is shipping, there is a newly announced price drop for the S6 and S6 Edge.

There are power problems with battery life, memory leaks for the RAM, bluetooth connection, overheating and manufacturing problems for with the LCD display screen.

3 month review of S6 Edge

1. Samsung initially claimed that the problem was with the November, 2014  Android 5.0  (Lollipop) release but it hasn't been able to solve the problems yet.

2. For the S6 and S6 Edge, you can't even use the standard hacks to fix the problems because you can't get to the battery.  For that matter, doing a  weekly Factory Reset or  booting to Safe Mode is not something that I want to do with a brand new phone

3. The display screen  problems ranged from screens which were over-senstive to the touch while others just had broken or damaged screens.

4. I can believe that a single store would receive a shipment of defective phones.  If you returned to the store, your replacement would be from the same group of phones, until all the stock had been replenished.

ATT's response to the touch sensitivity problem was to root the OS and remove the option to calibrate the screen sensitivity.

• If I bring the phone to a regional service center, they will reflash the device with a rooted OS from ATT. 

• I want an OS that will let me calibrate the touch sensitivity for the phone. 
    Instead, I have to exchange it because there is no way to know if the screen is actually defective.

• The August Android 5.1.1 update didn't fix my display problem. It did fix the bluetooth problem.  August 2015 update

On the upside, I don't see the app freezes, phone locking or memory leaks because I basically can't do anything except make calls or text.  The only good thing that's happened in the past 3 weeks was that I can finally stay connected to my car's bluetooth so I can answer the phone while I'm driving.

I ordered my Samsung S6 Edge online and have  been waiting 3 weeks for a replacement.  It's backordered, with no date for fulfillment.  

• There is a convenient "Cancel Order" button on the web page to check orders, but ATT can't provide a date for when it will ship.

• ATT is selling the Samsung 6S Edge - online and in the stores.  No backorders for new customers or new upgrades.

• Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a phone that supposedly has a defective display screen. 

After 3 weeks of waiting, I received my ATT bill today.  I know that ATT will shut off my service if I don't pay my bill, but it's acceptable to ATT to keep me waiting for a non-defective product.

I've had a Galaxy S3 phone and I still have a Gear watch.  All I want is a working phone, but ATT makes it too difficult for their customers. It doesn't matter whether you buy it in a store or online. 

ATT has kept enough stock for the stores and new online orders but not for customers who have a defective phone. Apparently, Samsung misjudged the buying public and thought that consumers would be more interested in the S6.
   Samsung Earnings Drop

A customer has to call ATT, deal with order support or the store for these problems.  There's no snail mail address or email address to send documents or customer service history.

But I do get surveys, every time I contact ATT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the history:   I ordered online from ATT and received my Samsung S6 Edge on July 24. 

After transferring my apps and content..... I discovered that I couldn't cut or paste anything, never mind get the Edge messages to respond.   I kept seeing the commercial where the wife slides the edge and  shows her hubby the messages.... my frustration level grew.

In the online Samsung product manuals, there was a way to set the touch calibration.
But the phone menus didn't match the Samsung product manual.

• I contacted ATT wireless support on Saturday morning, August 1
  • I found out that ATT rooted the phone's OS and disabled the touch calibration settings. 
  • The phone had the most recent software update and the conclusion was that I had one of the phones with the defective screens.
  • The Tech couldn't transfer me to ATT Premier Support for an exchange because they don't work on the weekends.   But the tech advised me to do it on Monday morning, because the 14 day buyer remorse return policy would expire in a few days

Getting the Return authorization and ordering a replacement was not an easy or pleasant experience. 

• It took 20 minutes to process the Return because my online receipt had 3 order numbers which the rep couldn't find in the system.
  • The order number is cleverly disguised in tiny print at the bottom of the receipt, under the words Order Comment.  It's not at the top of the receipt in the sections marked Order Number, Invoice Number, Your order Number.
  • After processing the return, I was told to go to a self-service website and order the phone myself. 
  • On top of everything, I had to listen to the rep as she read a statement about how I would be billed in full to my credit card if I didn't return the RMA by a certain date. 
  • I asked several questions because I'm using the ATT installment plan - and the rep couldn't explain whether ATT would bill for the full price ot not

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

gara56 ----   I think that you're right about the curved screen because when I watch videos, I can see that there is distortion on the curved edges.  But I figured that it would occur, and I was willing to give up a little bit.  I wanted the Edge messaging feature as an alternative to wearing my Gear watch everyday.

My friend bought the Gear watch when it was first released and he didn't have the patience to wait for the firmware updates.  He sold it to me for $75.   I've been very happy with it because I have a 2 hour train commute each day and the Gear has been very convenient for me.  But let's face it - it's not exactly a piece of jewelry or even close to being a fashion item!  (yes, my "girl" side is showing).

The curved Edge screen is an "eye" catcher, but the Galaxy Round didn't do too well with its scooped out, "C" shape curve.  Samsung offered a feature with the 6S Edge and it made the difference.  Consumers bought the device but you need a tutorial, just to set it up.  The TV commercial does not make it clear that the feature only works when you wake the device up by swiping the edge of the screen, which disappointed many of those who bought the device.

There are no "killer" apps for the Edge messaging yet. The feature uses templates, so that you can set up what you want to receive. There are only about 8 or 10 templates available.  I was OK with that, too.  All I wanted to see was text messages and missed call notifications.

I think I would be happier with the Edge if ATT would just return the touch calibration to the display menu.  There is no reason to have it disabled anymore.   Owners had noticed that it didn't take much of a touch to send the phone off into other apps, and it was decided that the screen was too touch sensitive because of a manufacturing defect. 

My opinion is that ATT caved in and "dumbed" the device down because of the touch sensitivity, memory leak and auto-rotate problems.  Too many phones were replaced because there was nothing else which could be done.

The early manufacturing problems were resolved - screen cracks along the edges, spots and similar.   S6 Edge LCD Problems

Spring 2015 S6 and S6 Edge Problems

It looks like I'm stuck with the Edge until I can figure out what to do.  The price is dropping and I don't know how much I'll get for it when I finally sell it.  I don't even know what to buy... perhaps the Note 5.  (never had a problem with the Note 3).

The 14 day buyer's remorse has expired because I waited for the replacement phone.  I don't feel like arguing any more with ATT about it - not a good use of time or energy.

You can probably tell that I'm a computer engineer.  I read the reviews and reports,  and can usually figure out when a group of Tech-types are just whining about a supposed deficiency vs. an actual problem which impacts the average Customer.

If you bought the device before June or July, the chances are that you had a screen which wouldn't auto-rotate, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection problems, dropped calls, battery life problems, charging problems, slow response time between screens, slow startup for apps and Internet browsing,  apps that wouldn't shut down and similar. 

With the August update, there has been an improvement or resolution - but some problems still linger.  Things like memory leaks  - which happens when apps start to use more memory than intended and your device runs out of memory to do anything useful.

I think that Samsung has to solve its Android problems, because ALL of the newest phones are having problems.  Each US carrier has rooted the OS for the S6, S6 Edge and S6 Edge+ , so moving to another carrier doesn't solve touch sensitivity problems.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

It's been a week since I posted about a replacement phone.  On August 25,  I called AT&T Premiere Support and was told that the S6 Edge is not on backorder.  No one could explain why the replacement order had a backorder status.

A supervisor had to cancel the original order that  was placed - and then open an expedited order, which required approval.   Supposedly, the approval would take 2 business days - and would be done by August 27th.

I received a text after it was ordered - the standard text which states to use att.com/wirelessorder status to check the order.

On August  28, I received a text message  from AT&T which stated that they added 5 GB  to my data plan plus unlimited calling from Canada and Mexico thru July of 2017.

I checked on the "new" order  - and the original order with backorder status still shows in my account. 

Clearly, the AT&T systems have business rules on the database, which is messing up this transaction. 

Four weeks and NO replacement phone.Smiley Frustrated

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

This is my phone number this started to happen when I first got it

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

were you able to return to Samsung the lemon phone? Having troubles with edge 6s turns off in mid text, reboots to home screen, turns off other times won't restart. had updates done but not much has changed, still does above, then asked to get a new phone, was past 14 days, so they said send it to Samsung in Texas, and get refurbished phone from A&T (only thing they would give me) and still paying the original price for now gone brand new phone,  So when sent back to Samsung, they found camera issues on top of the other problems I noticed. Thought it just was a quirk.  Got the original phone back, still have problems as before; Camera won't focus in Snapshat, Camera opens with a horrible sizzeling electric sound and vibration, and then camera will keep trying to focus for 45- 90 seconds.   AT&T will only give me a 'refurbished' phone no discount for cost while I'm only got this phone October 10, 2015 and started to try to get support back in late November/early Dec (when phones started getting sent back and forth).  Samsung suggests going through AT&T- no help.  Anyone have bettter luck with this? Want to switch to an Iphone (had a 5 before this) but AT&T refuse to take back phone (again with the 14 day over the exchange although this is a lemon phone I have and they know it but still won't make it right) and forget all about the "cool edge feature". Not worth this trouble. Seriously considering going back to Verizon.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.